*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561925-The-Army-Kid
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jello
Rated: E · Short Story · Drama · #1561925
This is a story about a family whos kid enters the army. Very short
The Kearl family was very proud of their only son, Robert's, accomplishments. He had just recently finished college and decided to join the army. His mother protested the decision, and tried to talk him out of it. However, her words were unpersuasive, and he joined anyways.

He went to the army camp where they occasionally recieved letters from him. For the next three months they'd recieve a letter a week. Mostly his letters were just about camp, but on the third month, they recieved a sad letter.

"Mother, Father, I have been drafted and asked to go to Iraq, i'll be leaving next saturday. I'll be home to say my goodbyes tomorrow. Your son, Robert"

How could such a small paragraph, have so much impact on a family. It didn't matter, however, they wanted to visit with Robert as much as possible.

The next saturday he was gone.

They kept recieving letters from their beloved Robert, but one week a letter didn't come. Two Weeks. Three weeks. On the beginning of the fourth week, a call came from the Army.

"We're sorry to inform you but your son Robert has been missing for the past few weeks, and is presumed dead. Don't worry though, you will recieve $300 for your sons effort in the war. He will be missed. Goodbye Mrs. Kearl."

Don't worry? How could they, how would they, not worry about their son missing. They took their $300 and left off into their life. It wasn't the same with Robert, They were a happy husband and wife, but they weren't complete.

A few days later, they recieved another call from the Army.

"Hello?" Mrs. Kearl answered.

"Hi mom its me, Robert," the voice on the phone said. Relieved, Mrs. Kearl said, "thank god Robert!"

"yeah, they found me and i'm in the united states right now. I'll be home in a few days."

There was a pause...

"Ummm mom?"

"Yes?"

I met alot of interesting people out in Iraq, and well, I met a friend who has no where else to go. Do you think we could take him in?"

"Why of course Robert"

"But theres one thing about him, he kind of wasn't as lucky as me and was seriously injured in the war. He's missing an eye, his face is distorted from grenades, his right hand is gone, and his left leg had to be amputated because of a bullet wound. Can we still keep him?"

His mother thought about it.

"Well Robert, I don't think we can, well, forever at least. It would creep me and your father out. Maybe he can stay for a week or two, but then he has to go"

"Okay mother"

He hung up. Those last two words on the phone sounded quite sad.



"Mrs. Kearl, your son is dead, he took his own life we're sorry to say."

It was the Army...Again...

Why on earth would he do that? Mrs. Kearl was thinking to herself.

"We ask you to come to the morgue as soon as possible to retrieve his body"

"very well"

She told Mr. Kearl and they both left. In a few hours they arrived. As the Undertaker pointed out their son, they noticed that he was missing an eye, his face was distorted, his right hand was gone, and his left leg was amputated...
© Copyright 2009 Jello (jello12 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561925-The-Army-Kid