*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561333-Lesson-3-Assignment-Part-2
Rated: 13+ · Assignment · Educational · #1561333
Sunrise Lesson 2 Assignment Part 2
*Note* Blind/Deaf Exercise *Note*

*Star* Narrative *Star*
I chose to be blind for an hour. But finding a 'safe' situation was a bit difficult. Eventually, I decided on visiting my 'home kiddies theater' as a 'blind' audience. I reside in an apartment where there are many children (the neighbours'). And every once in a while, they will act out a 'family drama'. The 'men' are the youngest so the 'home' is usually embattled with 'mothers' - Two sisters actually and the eldest of the 'acts' of six.
I did not inspire the 'play' really. I only hoped it will take place while I was home and less busy.
It was on a saturday, and one of the kids hinted,
          Hey guys! Let's act out a drama!'
That was my cue. I moved into 'position'. I pulled up a collapsible chair and set myself where I could 'view' the show. Then I leaned back, covered my face with an eyeshade, and feigned sleep.
A few minutes later 'scene one' was underway.
The kids' drama is usually about mothers passing out a set of instruction to their children before leaving for the market. Then returning home to discover that somehow the children of the two households have managed to pick a fight between themselves. Today was no different.
Now comes the moment of truth. The mothers who went to market together as friends are about to prove where their loyalty lies. Of course, blood is usually thicker than water and the two, once friendly families are but torn asunder for want of a neutral ground.
Again and again, I stiffled a laugh or two so as not to blow my cover. But soon I couldn't take it anymore. In the course of the 'family war' which usually took the longest part of the act, the youngest of the group (who is barely two years of age) cried out (and this was off the scripts),
          'I need food!'
I didn't really care anymore if I blew my cover or not. I felt I was going to explode if I kept it in anylonger. My laughter or the cry, I can't tell which, dropped the curtain.

*Star* Exposition *Star*
Many a times we take the blessing of sight for granted.
I tried to visualize myself as a child about this groups' age but blind. I tried to picture myself wanting to be part of the impromptu play but hindered because of my predicament.
Then I tried to imagine, 'how does a visually impaired child perceive 'joy' on people's faces?' Does s/he ever wonder how it feels to 'see' affection in a loved one's eyes?
Playing 'blind' for an hour really made me 'see' how little I value the 'responsibility' of sight.
'Blindness' could really brighten your mental prowess and inspire the power of your imagination; make you perceive things beyond your nose.
I also discovered how a detailed imagery could create almost picture-perfect images in a reader's mind.
This was a truly 'eye-opening' experiment for me.
© Copyright 2009 Eneh Akpan (poesy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561333-Lesson-3-Assignment-Part-2