*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561977-The-Moment-of-Purity
by B Mill
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1561977
A story of two people frozen in time for eternity.
She turned her head to kiss me. On the dance floor, with the music pumping, lasers blaring, bodies sweating and moving at a rampant pace. Heart racing. Hers too. Wow. However, I can’t help but think, is she just interested in me because she had no one else to go to. Was I the best of what was there is the small, unpopular dance floor? Was it real, or just some fun between friends? I felt something, it was strange. Like yeah this is great fun, but seriously why this sort of attention. Just for the sake of attention, or has our friendship developed into something more? Something interesting; something pure.



We are thick as thieves when we’re both in one of those moods. We are so close, that together we become “the chosen one”. Or as she most purposely, cliché-like puts it “peas in a pod”. We go where the town is full, and rip out on the cover band hopelessly missing notes on Blink-182, or trying to mix’n’match songs like a DJ would in a dance club. It doesn’t matter who was up there playing. It could have been the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1999, and we still would have stood there and laughed at Anthony Kiedis, making “loser” gestures with our hand and forehead. Nobody would have been spared our jokes and ridicule when we’re in that party mood that only true best friends can be in. Once the boredom of the packed nightclub comes over the two single friends, we ventured to a smaller nightspot playing music that we can appreciate more. No frills here, just the music, the floor, and a room less-than-half full of people that are there for one thing, the music.



We danced around madly, like a demon possessed to the beat. Shuffling, twisting, turning and bopping in an unbelievable fluid connectedness with rhythm. It was as if every second was going to be our last, so the movement had to be unscripted, raw, furious, unnerving and never-before-seen; but perfect. Everyone else in that small, dimly lit room was shocked at these two maniacs who were tearing up every segment of every track, never missing a beat, hour after hour. It was a flurry of motion, not yet seen by the world on any popular dance video clip. Everyone took notice. And so did I, of her. And so did she, of me.



All of a sudden, after a quick look, a quick shuffle and swing of the hips, we became connected on a physical medium. Her back into my chest, and then down towards the floor. In a scene which could only be described as two people who literally became one with that moment; hand and arm movements slowed, shuffling ceased, and a fast groove of the hips turned slower and slower. Perhaps the DJ saw these two previously protagonist members of the dance floor come together to change the pace, and had no option but to slow the music from hard dance to an urban groove. Maybe it was just a coincidence. Maybe; it was fate.



In that moment, when our necks finally decided to give in to the peer pressure of the rest of our bodies, and connect, both boy and girl understood what it meant to the other person what it felt like to be alive again. When we were both fully fulfilled. Thoughts in both of our heads; I know because she thinks exactly the same as I do, especially on a night of this mood; turned to understanding. Understanding why our previous relationships didn’t turn into what we had hoped. Understanding that each other’s partners of the past never quite had the seal of approval from the other. Knowing that the other person will never leave, never question, and never separate in mind or soul. The moment was pure.



So pure in fact, it was the most thrilling, scary moment in time ever experienced on that floor. When two hearts connected, and beat as one. The size of our souls expanded so rapidly in that moment. Perhaps the world will not see that expansion of soul for another dozen years or so. It doesn’t matter; all that matters is that that moment will last an eternity. And its amazing that the two peas in a pod were able to experience it.



And in the ensuing moment, she turned to kiss me. Her eyes were already closed, hoping that the inevitable passionate kiss wouldn’t make her heart explode. Knowing that all she was waiting for was the soft touch on the side of her nose, from the side of my nose, in the moment before passion. Still connected, in the time with the music, and now ready to detonate unbridled lips and tongue on mine. This moment couldn’t be recaptured again. Not ever.



As our lips also joined into the trance-like state of sharing the rest of our body was enjoying, I wished this moment would never end. Not in my mind anyway, and not in hers. However, I was wrong. And I knew it. Progression from this moment with each other was not an answer, as everything that currently existed in these two peas connected life would change forever. Previous experience, knowledge of both each other and the world around us, and understanding that two people this close should never be separated because of angst, future distortions of the truth or possible infidelity, guaranteed that these moments of purity are just that. Moments only. Only a small subset of real life.



Moments like these make life worth living. And we both appreciated that at the same time. Because we are “the chosen one”, or the “peas in the pod”. The consideration of the friendship that will never cease to be dull and boring; only connected, hilarious and caring; will never be worth the cost of a future passionate meltdown which will sever all emotion and soul from the lives we love to share together. The peas knew that more boys and girls will come and go, and that maybe a couple will stay a long time, but ultimately the sharing of our souls to each other for that moment in time brings clarity that love has already been found, in the thousands of other moments in time we became connected on a heartfelt level, without the thundering bass.



The moment ends with sweet, innocent kiss, lasting no more than it needed to. The others in the room looked at us as if it was the ultimate shut down by one of the willing participants. It must have been too dark in there for them to see the opening up of a shining light so bright the sun wishes it could emit that type of energy. In the moment that the best friends unforgettably became one, forever frozen in time.



© Copyright 2009 B Mill (bmill1984 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1561977-The-Moment-of-Purity