*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1562757-Chapter-One
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1562757
This is only the first chapter in my novel that I am currently in the process of writing.
Chapter One

Sunday
August 28th, 2005

11:30am

"As Hurricane Katrina hurls itself towards New Orleans, the National Hurricane Center in Miami has upgraded the monster storm to Category 5. Her winds are up to 175 mph. Damage will be catastrophic. Storm surge will be eighteen feet or greater. Residents are being strongly urged to leave.  Mayor Ray Clark has ordered a mandatory evacuation."

I sat in my kitchen at the table sipping on a cup of coffee. The house was quiet even though the TV was on. I just sit there admiring everything. All of my things are in their proper place. But soon that won't be the case. Soon Hurricane Katrina will roar ashore with her damaging winds and flooding rains. I stood and walked to the coffeepot. I refilled my cup and looked out the window. A knock sounded at my front door. I went to answer it. There stood my friend Tiffany. She walked in and I shut the door behind her.

"Are you sure you don't to leave, Liz? You still have some time,"
"I'm sure," I replied.
"Okay. I still think that you are crazy for staying,"
"I will be fine,"
"Well, keep in touch, okay? I will have my cell phone with me," she stated.
"Okay. I will be fine," I reassured her as we hugged.
"All right. Please keep in touch,"
"I will," I promised.

She opened the door and left. I went back into the kitch and made myself a sandwich. After I finished eating, I went into the livingroom to the cabinet where I kept my emergency supplies. I took out the candles, the flashlight, batteries and the small radio out and began to place the candles about the house. Then I checked the flashlight and the radio. Both were in good working condition. I placed both on the kitchen counter.

"The evacuation of New Orleans and the surrounding communities is under way. Thousands have packed up and left. Some are staying. Either they can't leave or don't want to leave. Mayor Clark is calling this 'the storm we have all feared'. He is urging all those who can to go to the Superdome or the Convention Center to seek shelter."

I looked out the window again. The sky was dark with the clouds of the hurricane. The wind was picking up little by little. I looked at the clock on the wall. It was now 12:30pm. 'I might as well take a nap,' I thought. I cleaned up and went upstairs to my room. I closed the curtains and crawled onto my bed and fell asleep.
© Copyright 2009 Jessica Lynn Fleming (catwoman1984 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1562757-Chapter-One