*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564386-The-Berlin-Run
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1564386
The prologue of the novel i'm currently writing entitled The Berlin Run.
Belfast  1985


The  quiet  waterfront  street  was  ripped  in  two  as  a  thunderous  explosion  erupted.  The  front  window  of  the  cafĂ©  shattered,  shards  of  glass  showering  the  pavement  and  road.  The  stripped-down  Land  Rover  was  reflexively  steered  wildly  across  the  road  in  an  attempt  to  escape  any  impact.  The  three  soldiers  crouched  in  the  rear  threw  their  arms  up  protectively.
    It  was  like  it  all  over  the  city.  Simultaneous  deep  rumbles  and  flashes  of  light  brightened  the  distant  darkness  momentarily.  Deeper  into  Belfast  fires  burned  bright  orange,  black  smoke  billowing  into  the  night  sky,  a  dark,  sinister  cloud  hanging  ominously.
    Several  bombs  had  gone  off  in  the  last  hour,  more  continued  to  do  so.  In  all  the  chaos  of  the  explosions,  SAS  and  Paratroopers  were  caught  up  in  gunfights  in  the  streets.
    Opposite  a  fiercely  burning  bar,  five  SAS  crouched  for  cover  behind  a  decimated  brick  wall.  Half  way  down  the  street,  abandoned  at  a  wild  angle  on  the  corner,  was  a  white  Transit  van,  behind  which  were  three  Provisional  IRA  gunmen,  at  least  one  of  them  armed  with  a  Kalashnikov  assault  rifle.
    ‘What  do  we  do  now,  sir?’  Tommy  Kennedy,  the  youngest  SAS  asked.
    Major  Martin  Vaughan  considered  for  a  moment.  It  told  him  nothing,  but  he  looked  up  and  down  the  street  nonetheless.  The  damage  was  immense.  On  the  way  to  their  present  location  he  had  seen  buildings  reduced  to  rubble  that  night,  other  buildings  that  had  suffered  new  bomb  damage,  and  more  fires  than  he  had  ever  seen  in  his  life.  Of  course,  that  wasn’t  true,  but  it  was  the  way  it  felt  right  now.
    The  men  beside  him  were  looking  to  him  for  orders,  but  perhaps  more  than  that,  guidance.  Kennedy,  even  more  so,  Vaughan  thought.  Experience  was  needed  to  back  up  the  training.  At  thirty-eight  years  of  age,  he  had  plenty.
    Vaughan  had  taken  in  every  aspect  of  the  street  almost  immediately  upon  entering  it.  His  look  up  and  down  simply  cemented  the  image.  A  row  of  parked  cars  on  their  side  of  the  road  acted  as  a  blocker  between  the  SAS  and  the  gunmen.
    He  came  to  a  decision.  He  told  Hennessy,  Brian,  Thompson,  and  Kennedy  what  was  going  to  happen.  One  after  the  other,  with  Vaughan  leading,  they  ran  out  from  the  cover  of  the  wall.
    Almost  immediately,  the  rattling  of  the  Kalashnikov  opened  up,  raking  the  row  of  cars  they  were  using  as  cover,  shattered  glass  spraying  them  in  great  shards  and  powder.
    Brian,  Thompson,  and  Kennedy  took  up  their  positions  and  returned  fire  with  a  short  burst  from  their  submachine  guns,  while  Vaughan  and  Hennessy  ran  along  the  pavement,  remaining  covered.
    The  three  SAS  each  loosed  off  another  short  burst,  preceding  a  dash  across  the  street,  where  they  took  cover  behind  a  lone  parked  car.  Already  they  could  feel  the  heat  of  the  burning  bar  on  their  backs,  heightening  the  pressure  of  the  situation  further.
    When  the  three  of  them  opened  up  with  a  sustained  burst  of  fire,  it  was  like  Hell  being  unleashed,  the  impact  exploding  metallically  against  the  van’s  body,  dissolving  the  windows  in  a  shattering  instant.
    It  forced  two  gunmen  to  the  far  side  of  the  van,  one  of  them  armed  with  the  Kalashnikov.  A  moment  later,  the  hail  of  bullets  stopped.  Instantly,  Vaughan’s  authoritative voice  sounded  on  the  open  air.
    ‘Drop  your  weapons!’
    Both  of  the  IRA  turned,  the  Kalashnikov  raised.  A  burst  from  Hennessy  kicked  them  both  back  against  the  Transit,  the  assault  rifle  being  flung  from  the  wielder’s  grasp  as  he  danced  a  crazy  dance  of  death.  A  bloody  smear  was  left  down  the  van’s  side.
    Vaughan  and  Hennessy  were  crossing  the  road,  submachine  guns  ready,  when  a  third  figure,  panicked  and  full  of  fear,  ran  out  from  the  van’s  cover.  Despite  the  surprise,  the  reflexes  of  training  and  experience  made  Vaughan  react.  He  shouted  out  a  warning  and  for  a  moment  he  stopped,  then  ran  in  a  stooping  motion,  snatching  up  the  Kalashnikov.
    Vaughan  ran  forward  in  a  bid  to  stop  him,  shouting  out,  ‘Stop!’
    The  Kalashnikov  was  in  his  hand,  finger  curling  the  trigger,  and  Vaughan  had  no  choice  but  to  fire.  At  the  same  moment  a  single  shot  cracked  on  the  air  and  half  of  Hennessy’s  head  disintegrated  in  blood  and  fragments  of  bone.
    Reflexively,  Vaughan  jumped  into  cover  at  the  front  of  the  Transit,  Brian,  Thompson,  and  Kennedy  shooting  wild  eyes  all  around,  but  falling  back  to  stare  in  disbelief  at  Hennessy’s  dead  form  lying  grotesquely  in  the  middle  of  the  road.
    The  dead  figure  of  the  person  Vaughan  had  just  shot  had  collapsed  against  the  side  of  the  van  and  fallen  to  the  road  so  his  open  eyes  stared  straight  at  him.
    And  Vaughan  stared  straight  back.
    The  eyes  were  hard-bitten  like  that  of  a  man  having  led  this  life  for  twenty-five  years,  full  of  hate  and  contempt.  He  was  too  young  to  have  those  eyes.  Too  young  to  be  handling  a  gun.  And  certainly  too  young  to  be  dead.
    For  it  was  only  now  Vaughan  was  realizing  it.
    He  was  no  older  than  fourteen  or  fifteen.  Just  a  boy.
    Vaughan  dropped  to  his  hands  and  knees  and  moved  forward  slightly,  the  shouted  warnings  of  Brian,  Thompson,  and  Kennedy  about  the  sniper  going  unheard.  On  the  periphery  of  his  vision  he  saw  Hennessy  lying  dead,  but  he  could  only  focus  on  the  boy  before  him.
    What  a  waste.  What  a  terrible,  bloody  waste!
    It  made  him  think  of  Tommy  Kennedy,  only  just  twenty-one.  He  was  also  too  young  for  a  life  like  this.
    The  shouted  warnings  of  Brian,  Thompson,  and  Kennedy  finally  got  through  and  he  was  brought  back  to  reality,  the  dreadful  reality  he  was  despising  more  and  more  by  the  second.  He  looked  over  at  Hennessy  now  and  fully  realized  the  bloody  destruction  of  his  head.
    He  took  a  deep  breath  and  released  it  slowly.  Something  had  clicked.  He  didn’t  know  what,  but  it  had  happened.
    Vaughan  stood  and  walked  out  into  the  middle  of  the  road,  dropping  his  submachine  gun  at  his  feet,  the  shouts  of  Brian,  Thompson,  and  Kennedy  growing  in  desperation  and  volume.  He  ignored  them,  simply  stared  straight  ahead,  facing  the  unseen  sniper.  They  could  do  nothing.  Falling  silent,  they  stared  at  him  in  horror,  holding  their  breath,  waiting.  None  of  them  were  aware  of  the  deafening  silence  that  had  fallen.
    Until  thunder  erupted.
    Brian,  Thompson,  and  Kennedy  started,  weapons  readied,  uselessly,  hearts  thumping  so  hard  it  was  as  if  they  were  trying  to  explode  through  their  chests.  No  sense  could  be  made  of  what  was  happening,  judgements  clouded  by  shock.
    Vaughan  simply  stood  there.  When  the  realization  dawned  that  he  was  still  alive,  he  was  one  hundred  percent  certain  his  heart  had  skipped  a  beat.
    The  eruption  had  been  another  bomb  somewhere  close  by.
    No  shot  came.
© Copyright 2009 Christopher Springsteen Zimmer (edison at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564386-The-Berlin-Run