*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566013-The-First-Day-of-School
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Relationship · #1566013
A new guy, a new school year, and some new hope. The first part of a story.
Kim settled herself at the desk, running her hands over it's cold surface. She looked around, trying to figure out what kind of class this would be. The first day always began and ended like this; the excitement, built up over the summer, as she imagined her new classes and the new teachers, and all the new people she could meet, spilled over onto the first day. She waited for the rest of the students to come in, nervously anticipating the awkwardness that sometimes happened when you had to sit next to people you didn't know.
People filed in as the halls began to empty of the quick chatter that was always present before school. The lethargy of the school day had yet to begin, since the kids all had 3 months full of sleep in them. In a day or so, they would be more subdued, with no new stories to tell, and no sleep. But today was special. Today they had all showed up with their new tans and new haircuts, ready to face the world.
A few senior girls were the first to enter, all talking together, clearly already a group. She knew better than to try and strike up a conversation with them. But then two of her friends came in, and she sat down with them, joining in their conversation about various books. She was happy to know that this class wouldn't be a lonely one.
A voice boomed from the corner. "Welcome to Advanced Composition. I assume that those of you in this room plan to do something with writing at some point in your life. If not, this class may not go so well for you. You'll have assigned seats, just for the first few days, so I can get to know your names."
He waved Kim over to a seat at the front of the classroom. She watched as her friends were placed elsewhere around the room. Then, a guy plopped down next to her, looking just as alone as she felt. She vaguely recognized him from riding her bus last year. But she didn't remember him as being so cute.
"Hey," she said, smiling at him.
"Hey," he replied, smiling as well."Looks like this is gonna be an interesting class."
© Copyright 2009 WeArePowerless (wearepowerless at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566013-The-First-Day-of-School