*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566189-Eyes-That-Shed-Flames
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Shade
Rated: GC · Chapter · Other · #1566189
Episode I. The Damaged Boy becomes a man to realize the life he's set in. Aliijah.
EPISODE I



"Ali! Hurry up and grab those bricks near there. I’ll get these heavy ones for you. I’m gonna die one day carrying all this," said Khanti with a chuckle at the end, lifting up a pair of boulders rather easily.
"I can get the heavy ones Khanti, really," Aliijah begged.
"Stop arguing and get going before the shifters hassle us more. We need to move fast." Khanti moved ahead Aliijah and began carrying his load.

Aliijah gave a long sigh and continued his work as well. Upon carrying the bundle of bricks on his back, he also had to dodge traffic a little, as the older workers that moved at faster paces that experienced and witnessed at what the hassle shifters gave lagging workers. Only being 12 years of age and under 5 feet, it was like trying to get past a plateau of mountains that cared less that he was little. The atmosphere was every person for themselves at this point. Money has to be made, deadlines needed to be met, and quality was a must.

Khanti was much older than Aliijah, by 4 years in fact. Strength and mobility was on his side early on these times. Khanti looked after Aliijah helping with his work that he wasn’t physically able to handle. When it was time to eat, Khanti would forge food for the young Aliijah. Aliijah didn’t approve of this all the time even though it helped him out. Despite his size and lack of strength, he had endless amounts of will and confidence. Aliijah would take on anything bigger than himself.

As both Khanti and Aliijah carry the bricks to the destination, sights of lazy workers being lashed by the shifters strikes silence on their faces. When this goes on, it’s best for one to mind their own if they want to keep their backs clear from whips. Khanti grew to it a very long time ago, but on the other hand, Aliijah, would stare at the whole situation. When he saw this site, some type of fire ignited within his heart. He had some idea of what it meant but didn’t know what it was. Khanti would yet again warn Aliijah not to pay any attention and keep up with the labor, which he did.

Now it was time for them to eat. The shifters all take joy in seeing the slaves battle each other for the food. They would gather up the slaves in one group and lead them into a large pit. Once there, the shifters dump scraps of food down onto them. Men would even fight the women for the scarce amounts of food. Khanti and Aliijah were the youngest of all labor slaves. Other kids their ages would be off at assembly camps working into sweat factories. Somehow, Khanti and Aliijah managed to avoid such a thing, but only to the worse. Khanti would use his small size to advantage in gathering just enough food for only him and Aliijah. After that, he goes back to their homes where they rest their heads at. Khanti managed to get a few scraps of meat and just enough bread for the day. He was a skillful cook for his age, so he would also gather up some edible plants and other grains to make a soup or a stew. This was a daily thing for Copperskin slaves, well for most of them. About 100 or more Copperskins get slain everyday sometimes for no reason, or for trying to escape the Culgerian lands. It’s been this way since the Copper Massacre a couple years ago and now King Lapheus finally rules over Albida and nearly the world.

Another day emerges in the sky, and yet it’s gloomy again. Aliijah woke up seeing Khanti redressing himself.

"Finally woke huh?" He said smiling. "C’mon. The leaders want double time this time. It seems like they really don’t care if we’re tired or not Ali."
"I don’t get it Khanti," Aliijah said. "I don’t see why we just don’t quit. Do we have to do this?"
"Quit?" Khanti repeated with a gathered laugh. "Look Ali, I know you’re only 12 years old. But please take a good time to wake the hell up. You see that shit out there every day, people getting killed and stuff. It’s just the way it is now. Albida can’t fight for itself anymore, we tried and Lapheus killed us. Do me a favor kid, just one. Don’t try and play hero on me alright. It’s just gonna get you killed like 5 other guys like you I’ve known. The difference is was that you’re the youngest out of all."
"I don’t know how things ended up this way Khanti. I don’t even remember anything but…I know this isn’t right. I don’t care, when I get bigger and stronger, I’ll free these people from King Lapheus. I’ll free us from Emparia. I promise this from now on."
"Hmph. Well I can only tell you once Ali. I’ve heard many say that tons of times, until they were struck down and broken in with lashes on their backs. Maybe 50 lashes might change your mind, huh? That is the minimum you’ll get." Khanti left out the resting spot.

The skies formed into much worse now. It went from gloomy, to blazing heat under the mindless sun. Aliijah felt his fatigue haven’t merciless effect onto him. He was on the verge of collapse, until Khanti handed him his last bottle of water. Aliijah felt thankful but he always wanted to pay Khanti back.

Khanti and Aliijah got separated at a time. Khanti was forced to pull the ropes down at the pits that weighed nearly a ton. Aliijah was forced to still preparing buildings for King Lapheus’ new kingdom. Relief ran over Aliijah as it was time for a break away from the strain. He sat down wherever he could to rest his heavy legs and sore shoulders. He kept attempting to wipe the sweat from his forehead, but the soaked up sweat from his bushy hair kept sweat flowing like a waterfall. Attention caught him when he heard a word referring to him, being called. The sound of the voice was so soft but yet demanding. He directed himself to the voice and saw a little girl about his age. She was dressed in royalty; with dark blue short hair that went over her smooth round face. Her skin was more pale than most Emparians known to him. She had big light blue eyes that were slanted to Aliijah himself.

"I said you have to help the other slaves clear the road for us boy! C’mon, hurry!" She commanded.
"But it’s break time for this group isn’t it? Can’t I do it after break?" He asked.
"What!? Break?" The girl repeated walking up closer to him gripping his shoulder. "Get up now! I gave you a order worker! Help clear the road for us to get through!"
"Get your hand off me!" Aliijah exclaimed throwing her hand away from him. "I said I’m on break, and that means I don’t take orders from anyone!"
She gave a surprised gasp, "Do you know who I am? I am princess of the Emparian empire! You have to listen to me."
"No I don’t!" Aliijah argued. "I don’t really care who you are. I work when it’s time to."

She quickly slapped him across the face which made a pinkish red print on his copper-toned face. He rubbed on it, couldn’t believe that just had happened. He took a direct look at her face. She still had the same look which was serious and more demanding. He grew infuriated, rising up from his seat shoving her in retaliation. She hit the ground dirtying her white and green dress. Suddenly, Aliijah and the girl’s faces switched places. Aliijah was more serious and angry, while she was surprised and shocked that anyone would so that. She could barely hear the words that he continued shouting out of his mouth, repeating that he still slaves for no one on break time. The shouting was overrun by a deeper voice calling the princess. It was an older man covered in battle armor equipped with swords. By the look of his attire he had to be an escort of some sort to the princess.

"Princess Ayana! Are you okay!? What are you doing on the ground! Stand back boy!" The escort guided Ayana to her feet. "What happened here? What were you doing on the ground?"
"Well this boy, I told him to work with the other workers to clear the road for our ride, but he sad some bad words to me and pushed me to the ground. I thought people were supposed to listen to a princess Sire. Why won’t he? I thought people listen to me like father said."
"Don’t worry yourself," the escort interrupted, "I’ll rid him of his stupidity and put some since into his head!" The escort snatched Aliijah by the arm and lifted him into the air. He’s too strong for Aliijah, so the struggling to get away wasn’t effective.

Soon, other guards came into the problem, and was furious when the escort told what Aliijah done to Ayana, of course he also made it sound worse of what he did. They ordered Aliijah to do what Ayana requested, but he still refused with big heart and endless will. They even threatened him but he still stood ground. After that, they commenced to striking him in the face as if he was a full grown enemy. His face painted in his own blood, nose goes with no feeling to it as it’s broken. Eyes swollen almost shut, and he sees a sea of blood. How would anyone do this to just a little boy he thought. But then he remembered what Khanti always told him. He glanced over at the princess and gave an offensive smirk showing his confidence. The smile disappeared from her face as she grew angry. Suddenly a more royal man shows up. He wore lighter armor with more flashy clothing and with a cape. His face was full of facial hair and had a few battle scars around the face. He had a stylish blade with a steel pistol in a holster on his waste. The look on his face, it was as if he never smiled before. They called him Lion, because of his abilities on the battlefield. He stepped to the beaten Aliijah who was on all fours to the ground. The guards that beat him explained to the man what happened. Lion snatched a roped whip from one of the guard’s side, and unleashed it. The guards encourage and paraded him. He went behind Aliijah, and ordered the men to hold him up by both arms. Lion ripped the only shirt that Aliijah had to reveal his bare skin. Lion raised the whip up, and gave Aliijah a strike so loud, that the workers around came to a complete halt. Aliijah’s cries echoed throughout the lands loud enough to provoke animals to usual ways. Another strike, another, and another. The look on the workers’ faces could show that they could feel the boy’s pain very well. With each strike the feeling decreased more. Aliijah was crying, but the tears were ate up by the blood that ruled his face.

He looked over at Ayana to see that there wasn’t a smile on her face anymore, but yet a different look. It much like a stare of non belief or of witnessing. Lion kept striking asking if Aliijah would comply with the princess’ orders. Aliijah still refused despite being whipped countless times. The guards weren’t laughing anymore.

"This kid…" one guard said.
"By now he should be begging for Lion to stop." Another said.
"This isn’t normal." Followed another.
Lion threw the whip to the ground, "So you’re one type of tough ass kid. Look at your back. But I don’t care, you will agree to the Princess’ orders. I’ll be sure of it."

Lion walked over and snatched up a nearby slave. She was an old woman, terrified of this whole situation. Begging and pleading for Lion just to let her go. He took out his powdered steel pistol and clocked it once.

"I see what has to be done. Because I’ve seen this before," he said. "Now you either do what you’re told, or have this bitch’s blood on your conscience."
"W-Why? Why are you doing this?" Aliijah asked panting hardly.

A sudden bang startled everyone within the area. Some of the guards couldn’t believe it. Ayana gasped loudly and pulled herself together to keep from sadness. Blood splashed the ground and Lion dropped the dead woman to the ground with a gunshot in her head. Through all of the worrying and begging, she looked her most peaceful dead on the ground with her eyes shut. Aliijah screamed in despair. It’s not the first time he’s saw such violent acts, but it’s the first time he’s witness someone kill in cold blood with no decision. Lion snatched another slave, but this time it was the daughter of the dead woman; crying and also begging as much as her mother did. Lion took the gun and pointed it directly on her head. Ayana didn’t know what to say, but she wanted to say something.

"You will agree to these orders. I’ll ask only once just like last time. You’d better come with a better answer order you’ll have 2 souls haunting you for the rest of your feeble life. What will it be?"
"Don’t hurt her please! I’ll do it! I’ll do anything just don’t hurt the girl, please! Don’t shoot her!" Aliijah cried.

He let her go just like he said. The girl tendered to her dead mother and cried for what it seemed like forever. Upon the guards leaving, Aliijah gave Ayana a painful glare. He was forced to help clear the roads of loose bricks so the motored vehicles could pass through easily. All he could think about was the dead woman and her crying daughter. The sun started to get weak luckily, and mobility was much easier for Aliijah despite the bleeding around his body and head. Even though the sun grew weak, his battered and beaten body still fatigued massively. As he carried his last hunk of steel to wield to the road, his body gave up on him. Others looked and took notice. They were stunned to see how a little boy stood up to greater authority with such will without second thought. One person, an older man came to Aliijah and picked up the work. Next was another stranger that did the same and more came up. One admired how Aliijah stood up for himself, but also told him he was incredibly stupid. Aliijah surely didn’t understand not one bit. He only new that this was real and what he saw wasn’t even a nightmare.

A softer and colder touch on his shoulder surprises him. They were long and skinny hands that were scarred from the work. He looked back and saw a woman, a woman that was beautiful and it seemed like he known something upon her. Her skin was as same as his, with and a smooth healthy face. Her eyes, light brown that brightened up with the pretty smile she had. She wore nothing more than hand woven cloths to cover her body. She bent down, and said his name. Aliijah known nothing of this woman, nothing at all. She took out of her bag she had attached to her side, a small bottle filled with remedies she gathered. She poured a palm full in one hand, then rubbed them together. She gently put her hands to his back and attends to the whipping wounds that were swollen enough that it seemed like he had small hills formed on his back. He grunted small at first of the pain, but with each rub she did it began to feel better and better. Others responded to her as a goddess, sharing opinions on how would they do such a thing to a kid. He began to cry again, maybe, what the people were saying was getting to him.

"Please, Aliijah, don’t cry," the woman asked of him, "because, I’m here for you now. I want you to be strong now."
"…How do you know my name Ma’am?" Aliijah asked.
"You won’t understand if I told you, Aliijah." She replied.

After healing his wounds to just scars, she lifted him up on his feet and smiled at him. As she walked away, Aliijah requested a name from her. She told him her name was Emerie. People paraded Aliijah as they told him he was lucky to have came face to face with the Goddess, as they call her. Who she was and how she knew him clouded his mind. Why would someone out of nowhere do this for him? All of the above, his back has never felt better. Out of admiration, one stranger offered Aliijah his shirt for him to wear. They told him a storm was coming in for the night. If you worked as much as they did, you would be able to smell and feel the rain coming.

Khanti came through again and was angered by the site of Aliijah’s beaten face. In spite of the Albidans being slaved together, some don’t care for others. Some feel if you didn’t put in enough work then you don’t need respect. Khanti thought one of the workers done that to him, but Aliijah explained. Evidently, Khanti once again repeated what he told earlier that day. But what Aliijah done probably changed some people. He rebelled what Khanti repeated but this time stronger. Aliijah seeing what he just saw hardened him and he’s changed in his tone of voices. Khanti realized that there was something about Aliijah that made him extraordinary different from other Copperskins. Khanti new that whatever he said, wouldn’t change Aliijah again.
© Copyright 2009 Shade (iiishadeiii at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566189-Eyes-That-Shed-Flames