*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566541-Mitchell-and-Gwen
Rated: GC · Chapter · Fantasy · #1566541
Here is the first chapter of one of my longer works. Please read and enjoy!!
    Whispers of rebellion were muttered in the streets. The royals were lazy and the king had grown cruel. Beggars lay in the gutter, driven from their homes by the government’s taxes. The people knew the rebellion would come from the army. It was only a matter of time before Tulio of Andave was powerful enough to pull it off.
         
      The question Tulio was faced with was how? How was he supposed to get into Turrat Castle? How was he supposed to destroy the royal lineage? How was he to rule after that? A gentle hand scratched his back.
      “I’m not sure what I am supposed to do. What have a gotten myself into? I didn’t think anyone would listen to my talk of rebellion. I was just running my mouth.”
      “You’ll do what you have to. People listen because people need some sort of change, people listen because you are a leader.”
      “Where is your brother at?”
      “I think he is in the practice yard.”
      “Will you fetch him for me?”
      “Sure.” She kissed him on the cheek.
         
    “You asked for me Tulio?”
      “Jordan, will you ever grant me Celia’s hand?”
    “If you manage to pull off this mess. I don’t want her marrying someone who gets himself hung.”
    “I know. I know. How are we supposed to get into the castle?”
    “Break down the doors? Knock politely?”
    “I need a trigger. Something has to happen so that everyone will be with me.”
    “We are with you.”
    “In words, in heart, I’m not sure.”

Tulio’s prayers for a trigger were answered. In these times the king would sometimes choose a maid from the common folk. Whatever became of these young women was unknown as none had ever been seen again. Many said the king killed the girls, others said they merely were never allowed out of the castle. Celia Ressian, sister of Captain Jordan Ressian became one of the chosen girls.

    “Tulio! Wake up, angels take it! Tulio!”
    “Eh! What!” Jordan Ressian collapsed on the foot of Tulio’s bed. “What is it Jordan, it’s the middle of the night why are you in my quarters? You look like hell.” Tulio’s friend had a bloody nose, a rapidly swelling eye, his clothes were ripped and he was covered in bruises.
    “They took Celia.”
    “What!”
    “They came in to our house, they said the king had need of her. I tried to fight them but I couldn’t get to my sword. I should have slept with it but I figured in my own house… then they just took her.”
    “We’re getting her back. Tell the mages to send the call out. My troops are to slay the nobles. All of them. This rule will fall. I will get our Celia back.”

Through out the islands nobles homes were sacked. Men women and children were killed mercilessly by the very armies they had paid to protect them. The people of the towns and villages rose up and helped. They took their money back, castles were left as empty shells when they were through. The aristocracy was destroyed in one night. Those few which escaped were hunted down or if they were lucky they faked their way into the peasantry.

In Turrat events progressed much the same way. Tulio’s mages threw open the gates of the castle and the men rallied behind him. Celia had been much loved by all. She had been a nurse for her brother’s ship for several years before the rebellion and was known widely for her skill with medicinal magic and her kindness. To hear that she had been taken as one of the kings vanishing maids drove the men. In anger the nobility of the castle were killed. They had enough of this king.          
Tulio and Jordan cared not for the rebellion that night. They did not stop to kill lesser nobles. Their only goal was to reach the king and to reach Celia.

Whispers of madness in the king had circulated for years- unsubstantiated. As Jordan and Tulio entered they knew the king was mad. Strange pictures were painted on bare walls. No furnishings were to be seen. In the center of the room the king stood chanting blindly, purple light circling around him and spreading out. Jordan and Tulio shared a startled glance. Neither of them were super skilled mages. Some basic battle magics were their limit. This was conjuring of raw magic, something they had both only read of in story books. In the corner of the bare room, Celia huddled rocking back and forth. They ran to her.
    “Celia, are you ok?” Both spoke in hurried unison.
Celia looked up. Her eyes had been torn out. Tulio and Jordan stood in shock. Tulio fell to his knees and clasped her to him. “Tulio?”
      “Celia, Celia what has he done? I’ll make him pay”
      “I love you Tulio, I love you. Jordan my brother?”
    “Celia…”
    “I love you both. I knew you would come I know you would.”
    Laughter rang out from the center of the room. They looked at the King. Tulio drew his sword.“I knew you would come as well! Do you not think I have been watching you Tulio? My favored admiral.”
    “You’re insane let the magic go, and you will live.”
    “I. I am already dead.” he cackled and the purple light consumed him.
         “I am here now.” A deep voice issued from Celia. Her eye sockets glowed purple,  lilac drops oozed over her body.
         Tulio and Jordan jumped back in shock.
         “Only the innocent can be my true vassals, given to me. Their pain gives me control, and it is my time to rule again. My first body is long gone but I shall build it anew. Now is my time!” Celia stood up.
         Jordan rushed at Celia and thrust his sword through her heart. He then took out his dagger and stabbed the glowing eyes. The dark creature screamed. Rolling purple light spewed from Celia’s body it rose into a ghastly shape, a monster of purple. Jordan started chanting the most basic expulsion spell he knew. It was generally used for banal menial tasks, but it was the only thing he could think of that might cross over to the creature. The creature gave a screeching cry and dissipated smoke-like through the floor.
         Jordan turned to Tulio, who held Celia’s lifeless body in his arms.
         “Get out of my sight.”
         “What?”
         “You killed you sister, we could have saved her, I know there was a way and you just killed her. Did you forget she was your sister?”
         “You know there was nothing else to, you know she was gone, come on Tulio, you know…”
         “Get out of my sight.”
© Copyright 2009 Andrea Tatiana (andtat11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566541-Mitchell-and-Gwen