*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566952-THE-LOST-WEEK
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by naz
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Experience · #1566952
Imagine what happen if you woke one day and find out week missing from your life

The birds were chirping and rays of sunlight were entering in the room through a glass window falling on my face. I stretched and yawn and sat up. I was shocked to find I was sleeping on my sofa. Why ? How? I never slept on sofa before it made my back ache but, I was pretty sure I slept on my bed last night then why am I here? Lots of questions and their weird answers were invading my mind but I gave myself a virtual shake and moved to wash my face and made some breakfast too.

Fifteen minutes later I sat on the couch and turned on the t.v to listen to the morning news. I helped myself to the fried egg and coffee when the news started and I thought I had heard it wrong for the first time but, she said this again:
....... 1st - 7th of June, the inter high school sports week ended last week and winners were awarded prizes in a little ceremony yesterday. The town mayer himself gave away prizes and praises.............
I have no ears for the rest now.... What was she saying ? Today must be 1st of June, Yesterday was 31st May..... What's going on? I jumped and ran to my letter box where my paper man puts the weekly news paper. I opened it and shocked again when 2 fat piles emerged from it. I took the one and checked the date it was 1st - 7th. Oh Gosh! and the other one was for 8th -15th. It slipped from my hand and fell to the floor. This is not possible! this can't be..... Yesterday was 31st may.Bewildered I rushed to get dressed and visit my neighbor shops to get a better idea.

Outside everything seemed normal. People busy in their work. Since it was a small town, I know many of them by faces and some by names too. One of them was Liza, the girl who lived two doors ahead of mine. She waved to me and I advanced towards her.
"Hi" , her voice was cheerful as always, " Where were you Rita? Didn't saw you for some time?"
"What? ",I was dumbfounded, according to my memory we met yesterday and went shopping together," Oh ! you mean you didn't saw me for a week?"
"Yah ! last week we met and you promised you will invite me to your house for tea but, you were as if vanished for days where were you by the way?" replied Liza.
"Amm... oh... You know I was busy a bit," I replied and added hastily as I saw her opening her mouth to say something, "I got some important stuff to do at the moment. See you later."
Saying this I turned and almost ran back to my house. Slamming the door shut behind me I sat helplessly at the couch nearby. My mind was about to explode now. What happened to me ? I forced myself to recall what happened on 31st ( as now, I believed it was 8th). I still remembered I bade farewell to Rita and came back to my home, Put the shoppers aside and went to take a shower before bed as I usually do. After that I unpacked my shopping and put the things in refrigerator , had a cup of hot cocoa and laid on my bed. but, yah! I was unable to sleep and I jumped out of the bed and searched for the night pills I bought from the shop with rita and had placed on the table.I didn't even put on my lamp, I took 2 small pills with a glass of water and sat on the sofa...... and then nothing...... total blankness..... I stand up from the couch and started searching for those pills in my room. I found them lying under the table as if I dropped them there. I took the pack near my face and noticed for the first time , they were not the ones I asked. Something went wrong. The chemist handed me the wrong parcel....Oho ! that's settles it . I read the instruction:
" The extreme hypnotics pills. Take 1 tablet and it will make you sleep for days.
Caution: Side effects are observed, contraindicated in pregnancy and lactation, hypertensives and cardiac patients"
To be sold only when prescribed"

So, yes you get it right. I took 2 of them in one go and this explains what may had happened .... I slept for a week.....
Oh! did I forget to tell you earlier , I AM A PHARMACIST AND RESEARCHER of this town and this parcel was meant for research and I took it as my sleeping pills last week.
Poor me ! ! !


P.S : THIS STORY WAS ORIGINALLY MEANT FOR A CONTEST BUT, IT CLOSED BEFORE I COULD POST IT. SO THE IDEA BEHIND IT IS FROM THEIR TOPIC.
© Copyright 2009 naz (abgeena at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1566952-THE-LOST-WEEK