*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1568133-Red-Sky-at-Night
by zackM
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1568133
short sci-fi story of the 2012 disaster. point of view from main character's journal
RED SKY AT NIGHT
<file 33241> <property of New US government . File created aprox . 30 years ago.>
Friday 21st December 2012
I should be late Christmas shopping now but today at 12 am the sky turned red. Yeah I know, weird, but I’m a little bit freaked out. Not the usual kind of pinkie-red but blood red. The temperature has risen quite a bit. By quite a bit I mean by 10 degrees. We’re up to 22. That’s not normal for winter in Colorado is it? I know the red sky isn’t normal.


Saturday 22nd December 2012
Today has been strange. I mean, yesterday was strange but today has been....Ah; it’s hard to put into words. The temperature rose again. Not even the weather man can explain it. Then again, he never could really do a good job. You could always see the sweat marks through his pink, sometimes blue, shirt. Some small places in California have been evacuated because of extreme forest fires and their houses combusting. Poor people, having to spend their Christmas in a crappy camp. Is global warming to blame?

Sunday 23rd December 2012
They sky is still red. I am sweating. I’m in Denver and I’m sweating in December. This is beyond Strange. The whole of California has been evacuated now. It’s a huge operation. The state has burst into flames. It’s 40 degrees here now and rising. 2 days until Christmas. I got Josh an electric guitar. I wonder what he got me....

Monday 24th December 2012
Today there was a news report about the sky and the heat. About time! Apparently there is some kind of comet passing and it will make heat rise and the sky turn red. They said it should pass over tonight. I’m going to bed now. I’ve got a party to get to tomorrow.


Tuesday 25th December 2012
Merry Christmas. In fact no, not a merry Christmas. Crappy Christmas. Not only was the party cancelled but now we can’t go outside. I’m starting to freak out a bit now. I’m in my flat looking outside and what do I see. Red. Lot’s and lot’s of red. I’m watching the news now to see if I can get any information. I have no presents and I’m defrosting frozen peas on my chest.

Wednesday 26th December
Today has been the worst day of my life. I feel I can say that now as my life is about to end. It came out today that the US government has been keeping secrets. Again. Not only did they know a planet had been heading for a collision course for earth but they knew about 100, 000 years ago. The Mayan thing that they said would happen in 2012 has actually happened. I thought it was some kind of joke but it actually happened! I mean what the hell! I don’t even know why I’m writing this! I’ve been driven to insanity by this heat. The planet is due to hit in four days. We are in for a long painful death. My girlfriend Sarah drove to San Francisco to be with her family. My family lives in England and there are no flights anymore. So much for Christmas holidays.

Thursday 27th December 2012
Today president Obama addressed the nation. At least the world will die knowing it died in good hands. He said they had planned this already. They are sending the largest space craft ever made and are going to blast it off with ten thousand people inside (Yeah that big) to make sure the human race does not die out. They are sending us to some planet that’s exactly like earth but with more gravity. The tar on the side walk started melting. I can see it from here in my apartment. It’s only a matter of time.

Friday 28th December 2012
They have named the planet: planet x. Yeah I know what you’re thinking: the X-files. It’s volcanic and extremely hot. Duh. I’m beginning to become less attached to life. It’s been a week of nothing but red sky and now I just want something to put me out of my misery. The collision is due tomorrow at five in the afternoon. It’s going to his Germany first and then the shockwave with totally destroy Europe. Then, eventually the heat will burn through to Earth’s core and destroy it completely. I’m going to bed with my packet of frozen peas.

Saturday 29th December 2012
“The mass evacuation is now underway. You have received your instructions by telephone.”That is what the call said. The craft can’t hold the entire population of the world so the government has taken personnel files out of the F.B.I database to find out who is in a relationship. Sarah and I have been counted. I leave tomorrow morning. I called Sarah to say I would meet her there. It’s strange to think this is my last night on earth.

Sunday 30th December 2012
I arrived at the military base at five in the morning. It’s was in Texas of course. I met Sarah in amongst the thousands of people. The machine that would take us away from our planet was in front of us. Well, part of it was. It was about the size of L.A doubled. Our shoes suck to the ground as we boarded. This is the last entry I guess. I’m looking out of the window at our planet exploding. If you are reading this then that means my journal is in the databanks they are starting to create. Goodbye. <File end>
© Copyright 2009 zackM (zackjmitchell at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1568133-Red-Sky-at-Night