*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569734-01-angel-with-no-name
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1569734
A girl, at a time she is most vulnerable, meets an angel who takes her away for a night.
The illusion begins, she's just a girl. Some ordinary girl, who is mixed up inside her own world. She has a consistent pattern of being slightly lost, but as we speak she's positive of where she's headed. Away. Far far away from her current state. She needs to remove herself, she needs to feel unattached from which she's chained herself down. She needs to breathe again.

So, she walks free.

Trudging with her a hefty sack she trails behind her, filled with all her worries and her regrets. She's on a mission to unload it somewhere, to take it off her hands. She's so certain she can achieve this feat, she's just not quite sure how. Who would want to accept such a burden, something that has weighted her down for as long as she can remember. Who would need such a thing, but she doesn't need it to poison her life any further.

This night is cold as the harsh winds surround her, seeming to engulf her. Freezing her, she's shivering, she's made aware of how alone she is. Making footsteps in the snow, showing her the way home. But she can't go, she can't return until her mission is completed.

A shadow is cast over her. She's nervous, but she turns to face what could not possibly be any worse than what she's seen. Locking eyes with such an innocent face, but she knows not of his intentions. He moves towards her, but she pulls back. Should she trust a solitary man she's never met?

What could she have to lose?

After refusing his advances several times, she surrenders herself to this beautiful stranger. Falling to her knees before him as they are surrounded by a brilliant light. She's dazed for a moment, feeling his hands on hers. He pries them delicately from the bags in which she carries, she's holding on so tight you'd think she never wanted to let go. It's hard for her to fathom how he can possess such power over her. How he can single-handedly make her drop what's been in her grip for such an extended period of time. She stares at it, unbelieving that it disappears before her eyes. Her mouth gaped open, she can feel his gaze on her. She looks up, but she's still blinded by the glow around him. He kneels down in front of her, lifting her chin to a close. As if to tell her, "you can believe it. I am here to save you."

She sees something in his eyes that she's never seen before. As he smiles she falls victim to his charm. He encircles his arms around her tightly and she's no longer scared. She's gradually giving in, resting her head on his shoulder. He lifts her up, so much higher than she's ever been.

She heard an echo in the sky, "I'm going to take you to places you have never seen." With that she stares beneath them to the place she's leaving behind, catching a glimpse of the wings upon his back that are carrying her there.

"Are you an angel?" She inquires, but he doesn't need to answer. She knows now he was sent for her, she knows now that she's safe.

When they've reached their destination he rests her feet upon the clouds they've roamed through. With his guidance she's now floating, something she never thought she'd do. He moves toward her again, perhaps feeling the connection she's currently experiencing. His hand rests on her face, this time he's gentle to the touch. It's different than before. As their embrace meets with a kiss so soft and pure, it's interrupted prematurely by a thunderous roar. They both turn quickly to see his wings laying on the cloud under their feet. She feels remorseful, knowing that this ecstasy will come with a price. He doesn't let her see his fears, for maybe he doesn't even have any. Maybe he is without regret, so she feels she can be too.

She'll avoid the obvious mutual offense, letting him take her completely. Giving every inch, right down to her fingertips. Entangled in each other, letting their passion melt everything away. Words have no meaning here, just actions and they're speaking violently loud. They spend a night in laughter and he's surely enchanted her. Nothing bothers, nothing phases her and she's absent of all care.

The minutes turn into hours and soon the time has come. He's avoiding her eyes as if he's got something, or someone else, on his mind. She gazes down again, to scene in which she left. She nodded her head in understanding before meekly stating, "I've got someone waiting too."

She stood to her feet and retrieved his wings, sewing them back carefully but knowing they would never be the same. He reached up to thank her and burned a hole right through her heart. What didn't wither away was left in the palm of his hand. A scar that would inevitably be etched deep inside. She wanted to ask him why, but the answer wouldn't change things. He'd stolen a piece that he'd never return, but she knew that it belonged to him. She let her hand rest on his, closing his fingers tightly around what remained.

"Let it remind you of what we shared here, even if tomorrow we must pretend we didn't." She told him, sincerely. She didn't know if he would listen or if he could even hear her words, but she knew that she tried and she knew she must leave. After one last goodbye kiss she made herself let go. Like he'd made her give up all that held her down, she must give up now on him. She fell right through the clouds and plummeted towards the ground, but she didn't falter. Her panic ceased to overwhelm her as she lay back and took a deep breath. She could breathe, just like she wanted to. She was weightless.

Noticing now she was hovering above, she let herself drop to reality again. She knew he'd changed her indefinitely, as if he remodeled everything inside her. She also knew she'd see him soaring above her, that the worlds in which they lived in could never be interchangeable again. That he deserved so much more than what she had, but also for what he thought he'd earned. She hoped he'd keep on flying, that he'd find what he was in search of. He'd helped her release so much tension, he'd helped her live again.

She returned to the life and to the man that awaited her, which was never lacking of anything and which she'd always deeply love. The angel helped her see in all she'd been taking for granted and also helped her grow into who she wanted to become. She didn't know how long it would take for him to not seep into her dreams. She didn't know how long it would take to keep her from longing for his touch. But she did know he set a different path for her and that this time she'd have the strength to conquer it alone.

She never got to thank him, but she hoped he knew. That she would never forget him, he never even had to speak. She'd hear his song ring through the night, she'd see his face every time she closed her eyes. She would love him always, the angel with no name.
© Copyright 2009 Brief Candle (tiffanylowe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569734-01-angel-with-no-name