*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569741-02-girl-with-a-broken-heart
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1569741
Girl finds out her "angel" has fallen and is still haunting her.
There she is again, she's wandering. Along a field without a path, with weeds as far as she can see. Not a single flowering petal in sight. A slight wind is blowing her hair from her face as it sweeps through the grass. She's still that girl. That same girl she thought she'd left behind. No longer pretending, she's here to repeat all her confessions. Repeat the same words, read those same lines, lie through the same eyes.

There she waits.

Unaware of what she wants, of what she needs. She knows very well of who will be meeting her where she stands. Her angel in which she shared the night with so many nights ago. Of which took precious moments of her life to recover from. Took her sanity, her innocence, her clarity, her sanctity. She showed her face, though her heart told her not to. Told her she knew of things to come, she knew she could not do this to herself again. But she didn't listen, did she?

She could see him now, just a shadow in the distance. There he had remained since they had last been together, so far away. He wouldn't speak, he wouldn't come any closer. He wouldn't even acknowledge what they had shared. So, why today? She was clueless. For his own reasons he was suddenly there in front of her. She glanced behind him to conclude his wings had severed once more, looking as if they'd been singed completely. She now let fear creep upon her slowly, not recognizing this being who stood there now. She looked deep within him, trying desperately to recover what she had once found. There were no traces left of her ideal, only a lonely man.

He reached out to touch her, of which she was wary. She drew back, though he was ever persistent. She was never very good at refusing him. She didn't quite know how. She still hadn't learned. How to not be hurt. How to be wise. His hands finally reached her, this time not soft in his touch as she remembered from before. But the pain he was making her feel with only his fingertips had begun to burn right through her skin. She realized much too late the mistakes in which she'd made. Knowing now she never should have come here. Her mind racing furiously, as she wished her feet would be racing now. Racing in the opposite direction of this former angel she thought she knew. She never really knew him at all.

He was only a stranger to her now.

But there she stayed. Never letting herself falter from the stance she was holding firmly. Her eyes welling up quickly, pleading with him to spare her. To not take her like she knew he wanted. She was drowned out so simply by the needs that were ignited inside. She then let him remove all hope, remove all faith and remove all beauty she had been building. She allowed his skin to come in contact with hers once more, setting a blaze of her entirely. Crude remarks echoing in her ears, leaving stain marks down her cheeks. He was so swift with his movements, before she knew it he was gone. As quickly as he appeared, his spirit had left her again. Leaving her in flames, laying stripped in a field so barren with despair. And though she couldn't stop them, no amount of tears could extinguish the fire that was quickly spreading. She kept on crying even with the knowledge that nothing could wash this all away. She let it continue all night, until there was nothing left.

Exhausting herself, tired of being weak. Struggling to her feet, she examined the damage that he'd done. Now standing in what might as well have been the middle of a desert island, only dirt and ash beneath her feet. In the gloom she watched a fog cover the ground. He'd left her to perish, yet she was still living. Her body deeply charred to the bone, remaining just scars of what she had once been.

She lifted her foot to walk away, but as it touched the ground again a violent shock vibrated through her. She felt as though she couldn't return home until she had fully healed, but each step was excruciating. She couldn't reveal her wounds to all who would notice. She would lie to protect this secret. She had given up her soul to pretend this didn't happen. She wasn't willingly conscious of his capabilities until this day. Before leaving a scar upon her heart, now leaving a wreckage in his wake. She was determined to walk away, seemingly untouched. To not bear his mark, to not let this day live further than now.

She marched on.

There a light danced upon her feet, guiding her forward in this darkness. An enchanting ray of something beyond where she stands. Before relief could even begin to settle on the surface an obscure figure stood between her and the lighted way. She shielded her face, seeing him there before her again.

"What could you possibly want from me now?" She demanded, her voice cold and firm. Her delicacy depleted. Her patience diminished. Bolts of lightning shooting from her eyes to his while dark clouds rolled past them.

His voice consistantly absent. His blank stare told her that he likely wasn't listening. She was furious that he frequently did not notice her, acknowledge her, distinguish her. She was a person, she had prerogative and she was beautiful. Was she capable of seeing this yet? His obligation presently to show her.

She observed him, saving her breath. Watching him as he tied a rope before her waist. Wincing at the sensation, not of the rope but of his graze. Turning her back to him, seeing what resided at the end. Her heart, still beating. Frantically she clawed at her chest to discover the gaping hole in it's place. All life had left her as she collapsed at his feet again. Clutching her neck, gasping for air. She lay helpless as he took her heart in his hands. Now she was presented with a choice. Wait here and die, letting the man who reached so deep inside her and ripped it out to steal her heart. Or rise anew. The ache now unbearable. Would it be easier to just give up? All out of tears, she lifted herself up slightly. Gripping at the ground beneath her, pulling apart from him. Involuntarily letting out a piercing scream that shattered the mist and haze surrounding them, letting the moonlight shower over her. The confidant she found there in that satellite hanging in the sky. A familiar friend. In which she found the courage to trudge forward, to elevate further.

She looked back, watching her heart crack. Though breaking it a little more with each inch she moved forward, the hurt began to lessen. She found it easier to move, easier to walk away. Until finally the organ in which she'd conflicted so much pain finally burst, in the same moment the rope ceased to be. The man in which held on, was no longer there.

The curse upon her soul now broken, no longer doomed to roam alone. Blinded now, she shut her eyes and let her dreams guide her home. Home where another story goes unfinished, another heart unhealed. But as for hers, as she stood staring at her reflection, was back inside her chest and capable of happiness she'd never known.

This man was sent to show her, but never to be her saving grace. He was no more to her than ordinary. Through her years of trials, at this time he was able to uncover the truth. That she must destroy herself completely, before reconstructing the woman she had to be reminded of that was there all along.

There in the mirror her scars vanished, but only the one remain. The one over her heart to remind her, now and only now was she strong enough.. to love again.
© Copyright 2009 Brief Candle (tiffanylowe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569741-02-girl-with-a-broken-heart