*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569763-The-Knowing-Ones-working-title
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Supernatural · #1569763
Karina is a young witch, but what happens when a powerful demon falls for her?
The Knowing Ones





The never-ending screams of terror roared from Hell. I could hear the frightening cries from beneath me as he faced me. His penetrating blue eyes poured into my own. Soul-searching, that’s what They called it. Who are They, I hear you ask. The highest power, the sole meaning of my existence. They are not people you argue with; they will revoke your own power. They are referred to as ‘The Knowing Ones’, they are greatly respected among all.

The blue-eyed demon in front of me smiled slightly, his human half showing through. I could see that his love for me still affected him greatly, that he was being held back from his initiation. He couldn’t bear it. ‘The demon that fell in love with a witch’, it was a story told among many. Whether people actually believed it or not was a complete different story.

“Karina, why are you here?” His voice was a barely audible whisper; his bright blue eyes still on my own as his hand seeked and found mine. “Jackson, I needed to see you,” I spoke with great trust and reason. Though once he had sought to kill me, he was now my life. He was all I had. The day that we met was still clear in my mind. He had tried to attack me from behind, but what he didn’t expect was my power of foretelling. I swung around before he got the chance. Had I not, he would never have seen the innocence and youth in my eyes.

I was but 15 when we met, I was new to my powers then; not having mastered them yet, it was a miracle I was still alive. Ever believe in love at first sight? Well if not, you should, because that’s exactly what happened. His eyes had turned blood-red - he was ready for the kill. But then he pulled back after seeing my face. His harsh eyes softened and went back to the normal blue. His lips -that had been pulled back over his sharp teeth in a grimace- returned to a perfect smile. His skin became tanned and his horns and talons were no more.

We were in a dark alleyway, but it lightened incredibly when he became his human form. He looked at me with a face of longing, and yet he was highly ashamed. He continued to stare at me, while I got a ringing in my ears; a sign I was later to find out was that They were calling me. But we still stood looking at each other, we couldn’t stop. I was still in shock; this was the first demon I had come across in my months of training with my mother. It was that moment that I decided to go back to my body.

I started breathing heavily as I returned. Wow, I thought, my astral projection worked on command. I knew that the demon would be furious, so I rounded the corner to find him still standing there. He seemed surprised that I had done so without figuring it out. And he was still in his human form.

He smiled again upon seeing me and, without hesitation, sauntered over to introduce himself. “Hi, I’m Rezita, or to the human race my name is Jackson. I apologize for frightening you, I didn’t mean to. You just took me by surprise that’s all; I haven’t felt an aura like yours in a long time. What is your name, my young witch?”

I stuttered, feeling afraid and yet a compassion to answer him. “I’m, I’m, my name is Karina.” I had a compelling need to go closer to him, but my mind was giving a different sign, one of fear. I was stuck, unsure of where to turn. Where do you go when you have been attacked by a monster, a demon? There was no recovery shelter in which to hide, at least none that I know of. Some people, like my mother, float through their Wiccan life unharmed by creatures, therefore don’t need to learn about such things. We did, of course, have our Book Of Shadows that has been handed down through the generations. But my mother hadn’t as yet let me touch it, let alone look at it.

“There are some things young witches should not be aware of.” I think those were her exact words. Don’t get me wrong, my mother is a brilliant witch, but she specialized in the theory part of witchcraft, as well as the making of potions and writing spells. She taught the history to a class of students my age, all of whom were studying the ancient craft away from other people.

There were those people in our time that believed that magic was only practiced by evil. But Wicca was neither benign nor malevolent; it was the matter in which it was used. And it was practiced by those with knowledge of the Craft, and only those. The Elders of the class were well informed so they helped out my mum a bit.

So where do I go from here? A demon-or was he human?-was standing right in front of me, his eyes pouring patiently into mine. His lips were slightly parted showing perfectly whitened teeth. His hand stretched towards mine, and, upon instinct, I shook it. His smile widened and his eyes glowed.

“I’m sorry, I have to go.” I took my hand back and turned away, but a hand on my back stopped me from walking off. I twisted back to see him looking disappointed. “Karina, can I see you again?” He sounded so sincere that I couldn’t tear my eyes away from his.

“I don’t know, I, I can’t. I’m sorry.” I started to back off again but I couldn’t as his hand was still holding me.

“Please, I must see you again.” He was at the point of pleading now. I couldn’t refuse him.

“Alright, I guess so.”

“Thank you so much! How is tomorrow? I’ll be able to find you,” he asked. Seeing the look on my face, he added, “don’t worry, it’s just something that I’m equipped with.” He laughed lightly, stepped forward to peck my cheek then vanished. I was left standing there, looking into the thin air.

© Copyright 2009 Elizabeth (bubblegum09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569763-The-Knowing-Ones-working-title