*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569770-Catherine
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1569770
Catherine was haunted by her parents death, but can a guy change that?
Catherine



He walked up to me, not knowing that he was about to enter a world full of dark secrets, where someone like him would never survive, where you had to grow up quickly or suffer not knowing and understanding the truth. He had no idea the horror I had lived through, just to be here, on the first day of school, as if my life was surrounded with beautiful roses and pretty little cottages.

“Hi,” his voice startled me. I thought it would have been rather high-pitched and squeaky, but it was deep, melancholy and yet contained a little bit of a romantic side to him, which suited his jet black hair, perfectly rounded lips and small button nose. His hazel eyes watched me as he drank in every bit of my long tanned legs, wavy golden locks and firm, yet slim shoulders.

“Hello,” I replied to this strangely familiar face. It was as if I knew him from somewhere, though I had no idea where I could have seen him and not notice him. And yet, I knew that I had to know him, he might be able to help me through the troubles I’ve been in, if I’m able to stay long enough.

“I’ve seen you, sitting by yourself at the shops, never with anyone else. You’re beautiful, but still, why isn’t anyone sitting with you? Even on the bus you sit by yourself. I couldn’t help but notice.” Whoops, that was just me imagining him saying that.

“Cathy,” I heard someone say, and then felt a slight shaking. “Cathy, wake up! You’ll be late.” The face of Andrea slowly came into view, and I realized that it had all been a dream. Except for the reality of the fact that it really was the first day of school. Damn, I didn’t find out his name, I thought as I started to get dressed. I was dreading today, though I should have gotten used to these days by now; I had had enough of them. But first days at new schools still felt like you were walking into a complete different world, breathing a different atmosphere. Everyone stared at you, and you often wondered if you had anything on your face. New people and new attitudes, new teachers and new classes, this was all kind of boring to me. But I still kept at it. Andrea would be taking me to school today, the babysitter of a sister that I didn’t need, so that should be interesting.

Looking at the time, I started rushing to get everything in my school bag at once, resulting in all my pens falling out of my pencil case. But then again, Andrea is all I have left. That’s why I’ve moved around a lot, everything financially. Well, our parents left us plenty of money when they passed away, but we couldn’t touch a cent of it until one of us was 21. Luckily it was Andrea’s birthday in a few weeks. She took me out to her car and drove me to my new school.

She drove slowly around the school before entering the parking lot for student cars. I got out and turned around to say goodbye, but she had already started leaving. Instead I waved to her, just as I hear someone walking up to me. “Hey,” he said, and I turned around to see that it was the guy from last night, the guy from my dreams. He is real! I thought crazily to myself.

His black hair was highlighted in some parts by the sun, with sunglasses covering his eyes for the moment. He was just a little taller than me, probably standing about 5'7" at least and he had a slight spring to his otherwise heavy walk.

“Hi,” I answered, wondering if my dream had been some sort of intuition. I quickly looked him over and found he was every bit the same guy from last night. Nice, I could learn to like this, I silently said to myself.

“I’m Jackson.” He offered this piece of information hesitantly, not sure of what I thought. He removed the glasses so I could look into his eyes for the first (or second, whichever way you looked at it) time.

“Cathy,” I supplied, gazing into those brilliant hazel eyes that he possessed. They were sort of mesmerizing in an odd way.

© Copyright 2009 Elizabeth (bubblegum09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569770-Catherine