*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570235-Dentist-office-Nightmare
Rated: E · Short Story · Ghost · #1570235
wrote for a contest had to have 560 words.
Janice watched the lady behind the counter mesmerized somehow by her hypnotic movements. Her long, dark, curly hair seemed to always be in her way. She flipped it back again and again, and every time she did Janice thought, “Swish!”

She watched her answering phones, then typing on the computer, then answering phones, then typing on the computer. Each time she changes a task it was always with a swish. Janice was hypnotized. Maybe because all the other people in the waiting room were quiet and unmoving. Or maybe it was a way to stop staring at the clock just waiting for the next moment to pass. Person after person began to be called back where her husband was getting his teeth drilled. All this seemed to fade away with the next SWISH!.

The light around Janice began to grow dim. She looked outside the window and saw nothing but black. Could it be night already? The waiting room was empty. She looked for the clock, but it seemed to be missing. They could have easily taken it down while she was mesmerized by “Swish Lady”. She watched for a moment for movement from someone else besides the woman behind the counted still swishing her hair. She watched a little harder when no one else appeared and Janice realized that all the lady behind the counter was doing was standing with her back toward Janice swishing her hair back and forth with one hand then the other.

“Swish, Swish.”

Janice stood up and stretched a bit. She went to the door to see if it was going to rain. If so she could bring the car closer to the door so her husband had a shorter distance to walk when all the sleeping gas wears off. She reached out for the handle of the glass door and pushed. She pushed a little harder and then pulled. It was locked! Had she fallen asleep? Did everyone leave her there except Swish Lady and lock her inside? Questions flooded her mind. She tried not to panic. She walked up to the counter and knocked on the window.

“Swish.”

The lady slowly turned around in almost a robotic fashion. Janice jumped back in a fright. Swish Lady’s eyes were red and glowing and her face was ghostly white!

“A ghost,” Janice gasped. “Ok, wake up. Wake up!”

The ghost reached out it’s hand toward Janice. Janice ran to the door and desperately tried to open it. She could hear the ghost lady’s foot steps behind her. She could feel her presence getting closer. As she felt a cold hard touch on her shoulder, she screamed….

Janice opened her eyes to the stares of strangers and her husband. “Honey, you ok? I didn’t mean to startle you?” Light had once again filled the room, and even swish lady had stopped playing with her hair long enough to stare. Janice felt all the blood in her body rush to her face and her head hurt. Her heart was jumping from her chest laughing at her also.

“I have to set up my next appointment and then we can go ok,” her husband said softly still looking at her concerned.

“I’ll wait in the car,” Janice replied and quickly raced for the door. She had no trouble opening it or running through it nearly crying with embarrassment.


There are 560 words not including me saying there are 560 words.
© Copyright 2009 Jeanette (babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570235-Dentist-office-Nightmare