*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570682-The-Fallen-Part-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Serena
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1570682
Nharakai meets the warriors that will assist her in fighting the warlock Nhotanok.

The Fallen - Part Two

Nothing could have prepared her for the knowledge that Nhotanok was behind the attacks on the children of The Divine. He was also the reason that their enemies had, seemingly overnight, grown such incredible strength. Nharakai turned back to look at the doors to the Great Hall as they closed behind her, and saw her Goddess weeping. This pained Nharakai more than anything, and she knew she could not let her past stop her from completing what they had asked her to do.

She was to visit the High Priestess Navi and meet the warriors that The Divine had conscripted for the cause. Nharakai only hoped that they would not know of her past, nor of her connection to Nhotanok; that could influence her leadership in this task, and she wanted nothing to distract her.

The High Priestess was located in one of the rear chambers of the temple which opened up into lodgings for many of the Priests and Priestesses that aided The Divine. She expected that these warriors were residing here until Nharakai’s arrival. The demoness took a slow walk around the temple, taking in all of the engravings and paintings which so effortlessly and elegantly described The Divine. They had produced a world where most beings remained in harmony, they helped wherever they should; cured ailments, brought rain where there was heavy droughts. The Divine also produced the most beautiful children. Children who spread the same love and care as their parents. Each childe was blonde, blue-eyed and each was born with a special ability. Whether this was to be granted with visions of the future, or be able to wield magicks, each childe used their ability to help others. The Children of The Divine had been scattered far across the globe so that their influence could reach the most people; but also so that if there was a direct attack on The Divine, their children would be safe and the legacy would live on.

As Nharakai let her mind ponder over those children, each of their faces running through her mind, she was reminded that she had a very big task before her. Long ago, each childe had their own Nharakai, their own protector. It had been so long since there had been any other Nharakai in this world, since it was not she alone who stood between the demons and these beautiful children. This Nharakai had been alone for so long she had forgotten her own name and simply taken up Nharakai as her title. She liked it. Any other name could not strike fear into the hearts of her enemies nor would it describe exactly what she was and what she was capable of.

Suddenly, Nharakai was aware of a strange scent filling her senses…it was close to evil and it was certainly not human. The demoness was nearing her destination and as usual the heavy wooden doors swung open before she reached them.

The High Priestess was standing with her arms wide and a great smile upon her face.

“Nharakai! Hai! You are finally here!” Navi exclaimed, taking several steps towards the demoness. “Quick, quick, we have not all day!” The Priestess was rather short and stout in comparison to her peers, but she was a very wise woman who was well respected. Over the years, her hair had gradually became silvery white during her service to The Divine, for she had spent more than a few moons here. Nharakai favoured this woman over many of the other Priestesses here, but she did find her tiresome at times due to her constant fussing.

Nharakai crossed the small space between them and bowed her head. “High Priestess, as always I am very pleased to see you.” The demoness said with something that resembled a smile crossing her lips.

“Yes, yes, and I you, Nharakai, but first I must introduce you to the people, well, not people…well, I suppose you might call them people…anyway, the warriors that will be escorting you on your…task.” The old woman pulled up the sleeves on her elaborate purple robes and led Nharakai to one of the day rooms within the lodgings, and immediately the scent that had plagued her before returned.

Vampire.

Her eyes darted straight for the vampire, and found a tall, handsome looking woman with sleek, dark hair and blood-red eyes. The vampire was grinning. Nharakai quickly looked away and took in the faces of the other beings in the room. They had gathered since her arrival. She noticed a beast, who was extremely tall and broad, with skin like topaz. The beast nodded at her. There were four others, but they looked human enough.

Navi spaced out in order to make her introductions. “Nharakai, this is your band of warriors. Firstly, the vampiress Kalia, you have already noticed her, I see. The Lord and Lady have made quite sure that she is on our side, so do not fret about her commitment. This is Sebastian,” Navi told her, pointing at the beast, who smiled a little now. “Over there we have Khan,” she said, gesturing to a man who was very slight in stature, but oozed the confidence of a man with much ability and strength. “Khan is a Shifter. This is Njeri, an Elemental,” The Priestess said, this time pointing to a woman with fiery red hair and golden eyes. Elementals were beings of great reverance, in control of the elements and very closely tied with The Divine. “And finally, this is Sharna and Talik, Wiccans who are very skilled in combating dark magicks.” These final two were a tall blonde couple, their hands entwined and calm smiles upon their faces. Navi turned to look at Nharakai expectantly, but Nharakai was unsure how to react.

Nharakai nodded, uncertain of the abilities of the people before her, but said simply to them, “I am grateful for your help in this most important of tasks.”

She found it hard to trust those she did not know, especially when it came to fighting alongside someone, and Nharakai caught the eye of the vampiress Kalia once more, who licked her lips in response. However, if The Divine wanted her to fight alongside these beings, she would have to put aside her natural instincts about them. Navi gave the demoness a short smile and bowed slightly to the others as she bade farewell.

Nharakai smiled back at the High Priestess and waited until she had left before she continued speaking. “As yet, have we arranged any sort of plan?”

Sebastian, the beast, stepped forward and Nharakai noted the very large battle axe he was wielding. “I recommend lots of sharp, heavy weapons and lots of slicing and dicing.” He said with a grin, slapping the poll of his axe against his palm.

Nharakai shot him a look, but soon smiled. “Well, yes. That is the end goal. However, we need to think about what we do before that. Is our priority to take out the major nests and the strongest demons first, or find this warlock directly?”

The vampiress took her turn to speak, her lips stained with a dark, blood colour. “We have to decide whether we are eliminating the highest risk to the children first, or going directly to the source. Obviously, the second option leaves the children still open to attack even without the warlock in command.” It was obvious where her preference lay, and Nharakai was surprised they shared the same opinion because vampires were known for their selfish ways.

“Agreed…” Nharakai replied slowly. “The rest of you?” The others nodded. “We need the priests and priestesses to scry for the most dangerous nests that are nearby the biggest number of children. Then…the fun begins.” A smile creeped across her mouth as she spoke. She enjoyed it when plans fell into place, and this mission reminded of her of what it was like centuries ago with the other protectors around her. Even for just a few days, or a few weeks, Nharakai might not feel so alone.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Two days later, Nharakai was already finding the journey tiresome. She could not understand why her companions had insisted on travelling by horse; surely with their combined power they could have found a way to cut this ever-lengthening journey time short? To save her energies, the demoness had to decided to ride aswell, though she was now regretting this decision. All of The Divine’s horses were strong, ashen steeds, imbued with increased power and speed by the Priests and Priestesses of the Temple. However, this increased speed was not fast enough for Nharakai.

She sighed, patting her enormous white stallion. “Why did the largest nest also have to be the furthest away?” Nharakai growled, rhetorically. Her horse bucked ever so slightly, and the demoness gave a frown, looking to the horizon. They were entering into the deserts that connected the regions of Grimoire and Raven. These territories were the largest in all of the land and were separated by a vast desert that stretched for miles. Legend told of the various temptations that appeared to those travelling across the desert, a test of moral fibre and strength. It was rumoured that such tests were put in place to make it difficult for enemies of The Divine to enter into of Grimoire, which was no more than a days ride away from Triquetra; the capital of the world and home of The Divine.

Kalia’s horse trotted beside hers and the vampiress spoke with a glittering smile. “It is not the furthest, but it is certainly the largest. I wonder what reason they have for gathering in such a large number, I have never seen such a thing. Usually demons stick to their own species, but this particular nest…I think we will see much more…variety, than expected.”

Another horse galloped ahead of them, and Sebastian let out a haughty laugh. “This game is going to be fun, will it not?!”

Nharakai could not help but let out a smile. It was not often that somebody excelled her need or enjoyment of violence. She nudged her horse into a gallop, hoping this journey would be over soon and the fight could begin.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

She woke with a start, sweat dripping from her brow and lip and her breathing haggard. Another bad dream. Cate sat up, realising even the sheets on her bed were clammy with sweat.

The images flashed through her mind again, making her shudder. The fire…the destruction…death… Every night, the same scenes of devastation plagued her dreams, while the two white owls watched from a sky filled with a large, darkened moon lit by the ghastly fires below.

Cate rose, running a hand through her black, slightly-damp hair and walked to the sole window of her small room. Pulling back the blinds, she saw that the sun was about an hour from rising, but already there were a great number of servants milling about in the courtyard. The small city of Brennus was always busy and bustling, no doubt due to the 5 Children of The Divine that lived there. The thought reminded Cate that she would have to attend to her duties soon aswell and she sighed. Though these children were mostly well-behaved and very pleasant, she often wondered whether they knew how lucky they were. They did not have to rise at the mere glimpse of the dawn arriving, nor did they have to perform chores or services to others. They were waited on near hand and foot while they developed their abilities and minds with fruitful education that servants like Cate could only dream of. And they certainly weren’t plagued with the same gruesome and frightening nightmares night after night.

She moved away from the window and picked up a small basin of clean water and sat it on the table. As she undressed and began to bathe herself with a small cloth, Cate wondered whether she should tell one of the tutors or elders about her dream. There was always a feeling of urgency that vexed her mind during her dreams, like there was something that she ought to do – and quickly. Time and time again though, Cate had brushed off this feeling; servants had no abilities, they did not experience prophetic dreams, so what use was there? Her only purpose was to serve the children and their teachers. She was to suffer in silence and endure the agonising screams of the victims that she heard every night while asleep. It was not fair, how could The Divine let her suffer like this? Cate clenched her fist and an image of the flames she had seen engulfing the lives of many entered her mind. Suddenly, the water in her basin began to bubble and as her frustration intensified, steam filled the.

Shocked, she jumped back, her heart racing.

One of the children were probably playing a trick on her. Cate chewed on her lip momentarily, then quickly dried and dressed herself, barely taking her eyes from the basin. Cate gave her long hair a quick comb and glanced in the mirror.

She sighed as the servants’ bell rang from the hallway of the servants’ quarters and dashed away to perform her morning duties.

© Copyright 2009 Serena (nbarclay at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1570682-The-Fallen-Part-2