*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1571670-Macys-Adventure
Rated: E · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1571670
(Entry for short story contest with Paper Dolls)(Winner!!!)
~Macy’s Adventure~

The late spring afternoon already hinted of the summer heat to come, and Macy was beginning to feel the effects of her long hike through the woods. Her feet were hot and sore and she decided it was time for a well-deserved rest. With practiced agility she jumped across a mud-spattered hollow and made her way through a maze of tree stumps and fallen branches.

“Aha,” she thought. “This is the perfect spot.”

Just ahead of her the mangled undergrowth of foliage parted, opening into a small clearing of serene beauty. Slowly entering the resting-place provided for her, she gazed at the lush shade trees decorated in vibrant hues by Mother Nature. Feet plowing little paths through the layers of leaves and petals on the cool ground, she delighted in the faint rustling sounds produced.

Choosing a spot directly beneath the largest tree, Macy flopped down in a decidedly ungraceful manner and indulged in a long, leisurely stretch. Tensing and relaxing each muscle in turn, she sighed as the tightness in her legs began to ease.

Although she was seemingly alone in this isolated spot, she could sense small creatures nearby in the wood, and birds could be heard calling to one another from high in the branches of the taller trees edging the glade. Various fragrances drifted on the breeze; damp earth, crushed flowers, and something spicy that she couldn’t quite identify.

Her senses overwhelmed, Macy succumbed to the lull of the forest and rested her head against a protruding tree root. Gradually her eyelids fluttered down as her breathing slowed and deepened in the embrace of sleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dream was like an entity, clutching her in its fearsome grip. She was lost, surrounded by predators and running for her life. Heart pounding in her chest, Macy navigated awkwardly around shadowy obstacles, dodging and ducking often to avoid injury.

She could hear the sounds of heavy breathing, raspy and malevolent. Her lungs were screaming for oxygen as she pushed herself, blindly driving forward in an attempt to escape the monstrous presence tailing her. Stumbling once, she rolled to her feet and whipped around to confront her attackers.

No one was there.

Nerves singing with tension, she stood taut as a wire waiting for them to burst through the hedge any moment, fangs slashing with murderous intent. All was silent, save the sound of adrenaline saturated blood rushing in her head.

For several long moments Macy remained motionless. There was no movement from the surrounding trees, but she remained alert; senses heightened by the recent chase. Could it be that she had only imagined it? Were her pursuers simply figments of her imagination?

Gradually allowing herself to relax, she concentrated on steadying her breathing into a slow measured rhythm. The hairs on the back of her neck were still on end and she shook her head gently to relieve the tense feeling.

Finally, after one last cautious look at her surroundings, she turned in an attempt to find her way back out of the deep forest she had become lost in. Having taken only one step she froze in fear, coming face to face with a horror so magnificent that all she could do was cry out in terror over and over again!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With a hoarse yelp, Macy jolted herself into wakefulness. Panting with residual fear, she touched the roof of her mouth with a dry tongue and glanced around for assurance that she was still in the peaceful spot she had chosen to nap.

Birds sang in the branches overhead, and a cool breeze welcomed the early evening. The heaviness of her bad dream dissipated in the awareness of her lovely surroundings. She stood slowly and shook off the leaves that clung to her body. She was hungry and it was time to go home.

Retracing her original route through the woods, Macy headed towards a warm meal at a steady pace. Halfway home, she heard a faint sound. Stopping to focus on the direction it came from, she determined the source and quickened her steps eagerly.

Soon she could hear more clearly, and the words filled her with expectation. A young voice, clear and pure called out to her from the far edge of the forest.

“Macy! Maaaaaacccyyyy! Here, girl! Come on, Macy! Suppertime! Good girl, Macy! Time to eat!”

Seconds later Macy bounded from the trees, tail wagging eagerly as she greeted her human with sloppy licking. Fear forgotten, she fell upon a bowl of Kibble with ravenous enthusiasm. It was the perfect way to end her day of adventure.


Copyright L. Joy Douglas

© Copyright 2009 JOY-on LOA (joy4rain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1571670-Macys-Adventure