*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1572088-Bounty-Hunterplus---Chpt-1
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1572088
Joseph is a bounty hunter. Where do Cassie and Colin fit in?
                                          Prologue

    At a back table, away from the other customers, he sat.  His blue eyes watching everything that happened around him.  His six foot plus frame rested easily in the chair.  A pair of leather gloves sat on the table in front of him.  He didn't react when some of the customers gave him wary glances.  The wait staff avoided his table unless he summoned one.  They all recognized what he was.  Kalahnarii Bounty hunters were easy to spot.  Though he ignored the looks as best he could, he could feel the fear that filled the room, but he was not hunting today.
    He reached for his drink when his communicator hummed; for the third time.
    "What is it?"  He said, annoyed.
    "About time you answered, Joseph."  Said an angry voice.
    "It's my day off."
    "You don't take days off."  Came an answer.
    "What do you want, Kudro?"  Joseph commented angrily. 
    Kudro was an investigator, on who helped find the bounties.
    "Got a job for you, worth at least five.  Officials on Norba have a bounty on some young human who killed a shop owner there, even though it turns out he was a weapons dealer on the side."
    "Why so much?" 
    "Rumor has it she took over ten mill."
    Joseph perked up.  "Ten?"  Then.  "She?"
    "Yeah, you heard me.  Ten.  I'll send you the info on her.  I tracked her through transport records  She bought a ticket to Caldon.  The transport will make a stop at Rishan before heading there.  You ought to be able to catch up to her."    There was a long pause before Kudro continued.  "Joseph, I don't usually get this feeling, but..."
    "What's the problem, Kudro?"  Joseph insisted, not liking what he heard.
    "The hint I received was Tobias was also hired to track her."
    "Joseph's hand tightened around the communicator and a bit of electrical crackle could be hear.  Customers sitting nearby, quickly left their tables.
    "Does somebody want her dead?"
    "I don't know or care.  I just want you to watch yourself if you meet up with him.  Okay?"  Kudro said.
    "Don't worry."  Joseph smiled, darkly.  "I can take care of myself."
    After turning off the communicator, Joseph grabbed his gloves, put some credits on the table, and walked out.  He 'opened up' a little as he did.  His smile was smug as he felt the relief of the workeres and patrons of the cafe.  With that, he turned and headed for the port where shis ship was docked. 



    Cassandra De Luc stepped down off the transport with the other passengers.  She went with the flow of the crowd.  At five' four"; many of the different alien races that towered over her, ignored her.  But many would turn to look at the small reptilian like creature that sat on her head, gripping her brown hair.
    [Tell me what you see.]  She sent as she stopped where she was.
    Balancing, the small being looked over the crowd.  His green eyes flashed.  His small head on a long neck craned up.  [Lots of buildings and being.]
    Just then, Cassy was bumped and the small being fell.    Quick reflexes saved him as he grabbed hair.
    "Ow!"  Exclaimed Cassie as she reached up to get him.  "You okay, Colin?" 
    "Yes."  Came the small soft voice.  His body shook with excitement.
    "Sorry, Colin.  I shouldn't have stopped."  Cassie said as she started walking again.  Her violet colored eyes sparkled as she looked at him.
    Colin looked up at her with his green eyes.  "Forgive you."  He reached up and touched her nose with his, then scrambled up on her shoulders; his long prehensile tail entwined her arm.
    Cassie walked for a while.  This planet, Caldon, she had arrived at, had so many different objects and beings.  Though the spaceport was filled, she found space to look around as she walk away from the port.
    Cassie soon spied what looked like a place to eat.  Putting her hand on Colin to steady him, she dodged to the side.  She looked at the menu that was on the side of the building.
    [Cassie, he's following us.]  Colin broke through her reading.
    [Show me.]  Cassie's eyes lost focus as Colin relayed the image of a man behind them.  Colin had notice him on the transport watching them as they moved around. 
    He looked human but was tall.  He wore a dark long coat and the brimmed hat he wore, half hid his face.  However, they had noticed his eyes, a piercing blue.  Right now, he stood some yards away, watching them again.
    Cassie tried to brush off her uneasy feeling.  [Maybe he's curious about you, Colin.]  She sent.
    Colin shivered.  [He's a stranger.]
    [Don't worry.  We won't talk to him.]  She sent with a small laugh.  [What do you want?]
    Colin gave a small cry as he looked at the menu. 
    "Coye soup."  His soft voice was excited.
    "Again?"    Cassie made a face.
    "Pleeease?"
    Coye soup was a mix of different vegetables and meats; simmered for hours.  The broth was often thickened with certain grains that grew on the planets of the Commonwealth.  Some made it thick; but some times it was often watery.  However, either way, it was very nutritious. 
    Cassie didn't like the chalky taste, but what ever filled Colin up, was welcomed.  She didn't like the prices much.  There were only a few hundred credits in her pouch.  She would have to look for work and soon.  She stepped inside and made her way to the counter as her turn came.  she gave the being with four arms her order and the credits.
    The clerk gave her a sour look.  "We don't allow pets in here."
    "He's not a pet."  Said Cassie, indignation in her voice and face,
    "Hello."  Colin piped up.
    The clerk snorted and gave the order, to others in the back.
    As Cassie stood waiting for the order, a tall figure came up beside her.  Colin gave a small chirp and dove into the pack.  The tall man from the transport. 
    Moving off to one side, Cassie stood staring straight ahead, her body tensed a little.  If this stranger tried anything, she was ready. 
    The man gave an order and held out credits with a gloved hand.
    Behind the counter, the clerk shook his head and pointed down.  The stranger set the credits on the counter, where the clerk retrieved them.
    Cassie's mind went to work.  Gloves?    She was trying to pinpoint the reference, when she was given her order.
    "Thank you."  she said as she left.  She was still thinking when Colin spoke.
    "It smell's good."  Colin's sharp sense of smell caught the odors.
    Cassie laughed.  The thought of the tall stranger was pushed to the back of her mind. 
    "Let's look for a park."  She said.
    Colin sat on the top of her head again as she walked.  His green eyes scanned above the crowd. 
    "There!  To the left."  He said.
    Cassie turned and walked faster.
    "Lots of benches?"
    "Yes."    Came her answer.
    Soon the crowd thinned and Cassie saw the park.  She hurried toward it and stopped near an empty  bench.  She sat down and stared at the small stand of trees, lost in thought. 
    Colin climbed down and stared at the bag in Cassie's hands. 
    "Cassie?"  He said as he pulled at her jacket.  "I'm hungry."
    Blinking, Cassie took the container out of the bag.  "Sorry, Colin."  She opened up the container of soup and saw that it was of a good consistency. 
    "Here you go."  She held the container near her lap. 
    Colin stuck his head in and greedily started eating.
    "Slowly."  She whispered as she watched him eat.
    His small thin body was smaller than her two hands.  His narrow head barely larger than her thumb; his prehensile tail, slightly longer than his body, held on to her arm as he ate.
    "Mind if I sit down?"  Said a familiar voice behind her. 
    Cassie tensed and Colin nearly fell of her lap as he quickly moved to climb into the pack and shivered inside.
    Not waiting for an answer, he sat beside her. 
    Face set, Cassie turned to him.  She didn't like than Colin had been frightened and she didn't like strangers approaching her with such gall.
    Even sitting, he was taller than Cassie.  From under the shadow of the brim, his blue eyes watched her.    His face seemed soft as he smiled at her.
    "I'm called 'Joseph'."  Joseph said as he held out a gloved hand.  "Are you traveling alone?" 
    Cassie looked down at the gloved hand, when something clicked.  She moved away. 
    [Kalahnarii.]  She sent.  [He's a Kalahnarii bounty hunter, Colin.]
    [What is he doing talking to us?]  Colin asked.
    [I don't know and I don't think I want to.]  Cassie stood up.  "I  have to get going."  She said as she turned to walk away. 
    "I know who you are, Cassandra."  Joseph said.  His voice had turned hard.
    Confused, Cassie turned back to look at him.
      Joseph wasn't smiling any more and his eyes were cold.
    "Okay."  She said.  "and you told me who you are.  Fine.  Goodbye."  She turned and continued to walk off.
    [What is he doing?]  She asked colin.
    [Just sitting there.]  Colin repllied as he peeked out
    [Show me.]  Cassie slowed her steps 
    What Colin saw was Joseph, still sitting, watching them as they walked away.  He looked confused.
      Cassie held the image to long.  She bumped into someone, a big someone.
    "Hey!"  Called a gruff voice. 
    Cassie blinked.  Her gaze panned up to see a huge, burly being in front of her; and she noticed, he had friends.
    "I'm sorry, sir."  She apologized as she tried to go around.  She didn't get far when she was suddenly hauled by the pack into an alleyway.  It slipped off her shoulder but she caught it before it was pulled away entirely. 
    "Uh uh."  Said the burly one.  "Sorry not good enough.  Want payment for clumsiness."  He held the pack in one big hand. 
    "I'm sorry.  Really!"  Cassie said as she tried to pull the pack away.  When she heard Colin whimper, her body tensed to fight. 
    "What is in pack?"  "Burly"  asked. 
    "Probably something valuable."  One of his three companions spoke up.  "Take.it."
    Cassie's eyes widened.  She wanted to avoid a fight if possible but she couldn't allow Colin to be hurt. 
    "NO!  Nothing valuable!"  Cassie insisted.  "Here!"  She took out her credit pouch. "Here are some credits.  Take those!"  She said as she tossed the pouch. 
    One of the companions caught and opened it. 
    "Jackpot!"  He exclaimed.
    "Not enough."  Said "Burly"  "Want pack.'  He pulled on the strap.
    Cassie didn't wait any longer.  She spun and delivered a kick to "Burly's" nose.  The one who had the pouch, fell gasping for air, as she punched his midsection.
    Another came toward her and she tried to defend herself, but was hampered. 
    "Burly" had not fallen or let go of the pack.  He yanked Cassie close and dropped her with a blow to her jaw.
    She didn't feel it when she hit the street.
    "Burly" laughed as he put his hand in the pack, but screamed and pulled it out quickly.  It had small puncture marks on it.
    "Something in..."  He fell as convulsions took hold of his body.
    When the pack fell to the ground, Colin struggled to get out and ran to where Cassie lay.
    The other three watched their large friend lay twitching on the ground.  One walked toward Colin as he cowered by Cassie.  The man raised his foot, but never delivered the blow.  A laser blast sent him, unconscious, into a wall. 
    The last two glanced hatefully as the bounty hunter stepped into the alleyway.    But when Joseph advanced on them, they thought twice and ran.
    Joseph shook his head as he walked to the downed men.  "Dumb kid didn't keep her eyes open."  He mumbled as he riffled through the unconscious men's pockets.  He came up with an assortment of weapons, credits, and a pouch.
    "That's Cassie's."  Said a small voice. 
    Joseph turned to Colin.  In the shadows. Colin shivered near Cassie's unconscious form.  "That's Cassie's."  He said again.
    Hesitant at first, Joseph tossed the pouch toward them.  "When she wakes up, tell her to get on the next transport out of here."
    Colin whimpered.  "She's hurt. I can't hear anything." 
    Joseph had turned away and finished what he was doing.  He got up and started walking out of the alley.  As he passed, he heard Coin whimper again.
    '"Cassie, wake up."  Colin cried, softly.  "Wake up, please."
    Joseph stopped and looked down at Colin.  Joseph stood shocked as he really saw Colin for the first time.  He was looking at a Dolanar. 
    "What are you doing here?"  He asked as he knelt near Colin.
    "We're...we're just traveling."  Colin sniffed.
    "No.  I mean..."  Joseph stopped when he heard a moan.
    "Burly" had stopped convulsing and lay moaning.
    "Come on.  We need to talk."  Joseph said as he grabbed the pack, pouch, and Cassie.  He stood still as Colin climbed onto his shoulders.  As soon as he felt Colin settle, he walked quickly out of the alley and toward what looked like domitories. 
    Joseph rented a room and put Cassie, still unconscious, on one of the beds.  After taking a look at the bruise forming on her jaw, He walked to the other bed and sat down.  His blond hair held the mark of the hat as he took it off and set beside him. 
    Colin sat near Cassie's head and cried.
    "Quiet!"  Said Joseph, then softly.  "I think she'll be alright."
    Colin sat still and stared at Joseph for a while.    "Thank you."  He said, finally.
    "Now...what are you doing here?"  Asked Joseph. 
    "Told you, we're traveling."
    "No.  What are you..."  he pointed to Colin.  "Doing with her?"  He pointed to Cassie.
    Confused, Colin said.  "I've always been with her."
    Now it was Joseph's turn for confusion.  A Dolarar with a human; especially a Dolanar child!
    "Always?"  Joseph asked.
    Colin nodded and sat, still staring at him. 
    Joseph's eyes narrowed and he leaned foward.
    "Do you know who you are?"  He asked Colin.
    Colin sat as straight as his small body could.  "I'm Colin."  He glanced over at Cassie then jumped off the bed and scrampered across the space between the beds.  He climbed up and sat next to Joseph to look up at him.
    Joseph stared back.
    "You look very young."  Joseph commented.
    "Cassie said I'll turn two in a few months.
    "You are young!"  Joseph exclaimed, after doing some calculations.
    Colin peered up, leaning close.  "Are you really a Kalahnarii bounty hunter?"
    Chuckling, Joseph nodded.  "Yes."
    "Are you chasing some one?"
    Brow furrowed, Joseph looked over at Cassie.  She had not acted guilty abount anything, but maybe she was if she had Colin.
    "I am."  Joseph said, finally.  "The girl is the one I'm after."
    Colin's reaction surprised Joseph. 
      "Cassie is not a criminal."  Colin sat shaking with obvious fury.
    "She must be if she has you."  Joseph said, calmly
    Colin glared at Joseph for a moment, but he suddenly turned and jumped off and ran for the other bed.  After he climbed up, he peered intently at Cassie.
    Joseph watched.  Ever since he spotted her, he had been wondering about this human.  Though the officials on Norba had a bounty on her, they seemed relieved that the victim was gone.  He had decided to watch and scrutinize his quarry.  It surprised him more when he confronted her.  She had no fear or guilt in her.
    When ever a Kalahnarii bounty hunter confronts any one, they always were afraid or had guilt in them. 
    Joseph sighed.  It was not easy being a bounty hunter.  For a few centuries now, his people had lent themselves out for hire in some way or other.  For, not only could they shock with their hands;  they were powerful empaths and they were used in many ways.    Most of the patient ones were in government, working for planetary leaders. 
    A few, without conscience, worked for those not so willing to follow the law.  Those were the outcasts of his planet.  One, his own brother.
    When Joseph had chosen his profession, his father had been a little, you might say, put off.  Bounty hunter was not considered the most honorable profession and was very dangerous.  Still, his parents were proud of their youngest son.
    "Cassie?:"  Colin said again.
    Again, Josep wondered how this young human had gotten a hold of the Dolenar and kept hiim alive.  He 'opened up' a little to see if the girl was awake. 
    Colin put his nose against Cassie's and closed his eyes.
    Joseph felt the warmth and love between them and realized that they were talking to each other.  He felt the caring the girl felt for the young one and Colin's total reliance on her.  He watched as Cassy opened her eyes and smiled at Colin.  They were talking to each other.  No wonder the young one had survived. 
    Sitting up  slowly, Cassie's eyes moved to him.
    "Why me?"  She asked.
    "You're wanted for murder on Norba."  Joseph answered. 
    Cassie's jaw dropped in obvious shock.
    "They think I killed Gosan?"  She exclaimed. 
    Colin perked up.  "They think you killed Grossnose?"
    "Colin!"  Cassie said, in a scolding tone. 
    "Sorry."  Colin said, chastised.
    Confused, Joseph observed the exchange before him.  There were many questions running through his mind and he wanted answers.  He kept his senses open.
    "Did you?"  He asked, forcefully.
    "No!"  Truth.  "I was the one that called the Authorities when it happened."
    "Then you know nothing about the stolen credits?"  Joseph 'felt' guilt at those words. 
    "All right."  She said, slowly.  "I took the two hundred credits."  Her look never wavered.  "But he owed me."
    Joseph stared at her for a moment then started laughing.  "Two hundred?"
    Now confused herself, Cassie noded.  She didn't understand the reaction she got.  "I'll give it back, if necessary."  She stated.
    "Cassandra."  Joseph said, after catching his breath.  "There's a report that you stole ten million."
    Cassie stared, stunned.  "Ten...Million?"  She stammered, then calmly asked.  "Does it look like I have a million credits?"  She turned to Colin.  [He's nuts,]  She sent when Joseph began laughing again.
    [I think so, too.]  Answered Colin.  [Why would some one say you stole?]
    [I don't know.  some one lied.]  She noticed Joseph, now serious, looking at her.  "Are you though?"
    Joseph nodded  "Answer this, how did you steal him?"  He asked, pointing at Colin.
    Cassie became angry.  [This one says I'm a thief and I'm tired of it.]  She sent as she gathered Colin.  "I'm tired of the accusations.  We're leaving."  She took a step, but stopped as Joseph put a bare hand in front of her.
    "He doesn't belong to you."  Joseph declared.  "How did you sneak him off their planet?"
    Cassie glared at the hand for a second, then glance at Joseph.  "You know where Colin's from?"  She gazed at Joseph as she sat down again. 
    "You don't know where he's from?"  Joseph asked.  "How did you get him, then?"
    " On IO colony."  She aswered as she held Colin close.  "I guess you could say he wasn't born yet."  She saw the skeptical look on Joseph. 
    "Go on."  He encouraged.
    Cassie took a deep breath.
    "There was a street merchant there selling stones and jewelry from other planest.  I really wasn't looking for anything, but I saw this rock about this big."  She indicated the size of a large goose egg.  "I just touched it and..."  She shrugged.  "felt something."  Cassy started rocking as Colin curled up in her arms.  "The merchant said that it came from 'the far reaches of the galaxy.'"  Cassie smiled "I didn't care, I just bought it.  Holmes wasn't to happy about how much I paid for it."
    "Holmes?" 
    Cassie glanced at him.  "My guardian.  He took car of me when my...mother disappeared."
    Joseph felt the sadness envelope her for a moment.
    Sleepily, Colin lifted his head.  "I'm with you now."  He said softly and lay back down. 
    Cassie continued.  "About three days later Colin hatched."  She frowned.  "Holmes had a fit.  Said that stealing babies was a capital offense.  I'm pretty sure that he knew what Colin was."
    Joseph listened, wondering who 'Holmes' was if he knew what a Dolanar looked like,  but he kept silent.
    "Anyway Colin and I just 'clicked'."  Cassie stared at Joseph.  "Okay, I told you what you wanted to know.  Now, what is Colin and where is he from?"  She turned and slowly put a sleeping Colin down on a pillow. 
    Joseph watched for a moment, debating what to say to the girl.  He took a breath. 
    "Colin is a Dolanar."  He said as he watched the sleeping young one.  "His planets are light years away."
    Cassy asked her next question guardedly.  "Is he why you saved us?"
    "To a degree, yes."
    "How do you know about them?"
    "I spent a few years with them.  They are a secluded race, not many are allowed in their system."  He thought a bit before he continued.  "They are peaceful, but powerful telepathes, and highly devoted parents."  He watched her face as he continued.  "There is always some one with the egg, at all times.  That is why it surprised me to see Colin.  The young ones are never left with anyone."
    Cassie looked at the small sleeping form on the pillow.  "Then...how did Colin end up on IO?"  She asked, concern in her voice.  As she spoke, Colin twitched. 
    "Calm down."  Said Joseph.  He could see that the bond between them was strong enough to cause Colin to feel her distress; even when asleep.
    Cassie took a deep breath, as she gazed at Colin.  She remained still for a moment.
      "What about the poison they generate?"  She asked when she spoke again.
      "It's not deadly to most beings; hardly fatal.    At his age."  Joseph glanced over at Colin.  He saw that she had no fear of her small charge. 
      "And when he gets older?" 
      "It matters on him.  He'll need to control his bite."  Joseph said.  "Has he ever bitten you?"
      Shaking her head, Cassie smiled caringly at the sleeping young one. 
      Joseph kept watching her.  What was he going to do?  If she were not guilty, she would not bring in any credits.  If she was...?  Joseph mentally shrugged.  That was not his problem.
      "I'm taking you back to Norba tomarrow."  He got up and went to a table that sat near the window. 
      Cassie watched as he sat down and started working on his weapon.  She shook her head before smiling lovingly at the sleeping Colin.  At least they now knew what he was.  Yawning, Cassie winced at the pain in her jaw.  She would have to be more careful from now on.  She lay down near Colin and fell asleep, but not before glancing over at Joseph, who still kept his back toward them.  As she put her hand on him, his tail curled around her arm.
      After a time, Joseph looked up from calibrating his weapon.  He glanced quickly at the two sleeping forms before quietly leaving the room.
      "Kudro, here."  Came a voice over the communicator.
      "Kudro, I need more info on the girl."  Joseph said.
      "Did you find her?"  Kudro asked, excitedly.
      Joseph sighed.  'Yes, but I need to know a little..."
    "What do you mean?  Are you taking her in or not?"
    Joseph gritted his teeth.  "Kudro, this human is innocent.  She's not.."
    "What!  Are you crazy?"  There was a pause.  "Don't tell me you're falling for some doe eyed..."
      "NO!"    A passerby jumped and ran, at the roar.  Joseph wished Kudro was in front of him right now.  "I need to know about a man named 'Holmes'."
    A low grumbling sounded from the communicator. 
    "Okay, we know she was born on earth, was there until she was five.  Her mother moved them to IO.'    Mumbling again.  "Okay,  hmmm, her mother was reported missing about eight years ago by a shop owner named S. Holmes.  He must be the one you're talking about." 
    "Okay, what's the info on him?"
    "Weird, only info is that his shop is on IO and has been there for about fifteen years."
    "That's all?"
    "Yeah.  Why do you want to know about him?"
    "He knows what a Dolanar is."
      "So."
      Joseph flexed his finger, imagining Kudro's skinny neck in-between.
    "I mean, come on, everyone knows what a Dolanar is."  Kudro said.
    "Not by sight."
      There was a long pause on the other line.  "Where did he see one?"
    "There's one with the girl."
      "An adult is with her?"
      "No, a baby."
      Joseph waithed for a time, when there was no reply.  "Kudro?"
    "I'll get back to you."  The communicator fell silent.
      A few minutes later, there was a beep. 
    "What do you have?"    Joseph asked.
    "There's nothing from Dolanar of any kind."
    "I wouldn't think so.  They value their privacy."  Joseph said .  "I'll call you in two day.  I'm headed for Norba."
    "Now that's the Joseph, I know..."    Joseph cut him off.  He headed back to the rooming house.  How the young human got the young one was a mystery.  If he had time, maybe he would solve it. 
     

   

     
   

© Copyright 2009 Machamom (marygyvara at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1572088-Bounty-Hunterplus---Chpt-1