*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1572714-The-Forbidden-Gem
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1572714
Please let me know what you think so far?!
   


   

Alyssa had spent two long and what seemed to be hopeless years of her life in Afghanistan.  The young woman had been researching the Lapis lazuli there and was planning a trip to Egypt to track down more of her beloved gem, but after the phone call Alyssa received, there was no choice, but to return to the states, to Florida.  Alyssa's father was dying. When she arrived at her father's home, people she has not seen for years are there.  One amongst them was Luke.  Alyssa and Luke had grown up together, been there for each other, and had not spoken to each other for two years.


   
    Alyssa was twenty-seven years old, could speak three languages fluently, had never gone to college, and had only one thing she was passionate about, the Lapis lazuli.  The Lapis lazuli is a precious gemstone.  It was in her opinion the most beautiful, being such a deep blue with gold sparkles.  It looked like the night sky with small dazzling stars.  The stone was thought to have magical powers.  The ones who possessed the stone would forever have harmony.  Alyssa first heard of the stone from her father who was a sailor in his day.  Her father would always tell her of the stone before bedtime when he was home.  The rugged man would brush back Alyssa's dark brown hair and would say, "When I would go over seas there was this town called Badakhshan.  The people there always had spirit, they danced with spirit, and worked with spirit.  There has always been little violence there and some think it is because of the Lapis lazuli.  You see my dear Lapis lazuli is a gemstone that is supposed to bring friendship.  Badakhshan had loads of it.  I still have a small piece of the stone that I traded a gold coin for."  And that's when he would show Alyssa the ring sized gem.  She would hold it so carefully as if it were to shatter like crystal if it were to hit the floor.  That is when her obsession began. 

    Drenched in sweat Alyssa took a drink from her water bottle.  Her mind was racing a million miles a minute.  The young adventurer had just entered yet another cave hidden by the never ending hills.  There was nothing different about this one.  It shared the same smell of decay, it had the same tattered look, and to her misfortune had no sign of what she was looking for.  Along with Alyssa was her partner Nicholas.  The young woman had met her tactful friend when she had first moved to Afghanistan two years ago.  The people of Badakhshan were having a celebration.  Everyone was dancing, except him.  Alyssa being sociable, went over to where he was sitting and asked him to dance.  He stared at the courageous brown eyed beauty.  At first Nicholas was hesitant, but then he gave in and learned of her search.  He decided he wanted to help her.

"Alyssa, there is nothing here except dust."  Nicholas stated as he swept his fingers along a side of the cave.

"I refuse to believe that.  Lapis lazuli was found in this region and there has to be more left.  I'm going to find it."  Alyssa replied sharply as she searched through and through to make sure she did not miss a thing.

    Nicholas sighed, he knew her so well after two years of working together.  He knew she was determined, hardheaded, beautiful, and he knew that one day he would be able to tell her the way he really felt.  Nicholas stared at Alyssa while she brushed aside dirt and pebbles.  Then, a cell phone ringing broke the silence.  Alyssa stared at him, she did not like cell phones.  She was a little anti technology.  Which made her somewhat of a hypocrite considering she uses much of it.  Nicholas grabbed for his clip that was clipped to his khaki shorts. 

"Hello?"  Nicholas asked as accepted the unknown number.

"Hello, is this Nicholas Deacon?"  The unknown female voice asked.

"Yes, who is this?"

"My name is Katie and I was told you could get me in touch with my sister Alyssa Miles."

"Wow.  I've heard much about you.  Alyssa is right next to me, please hold on one minute."

    Nicholas held the phone to his hand covering the speaker.

"It's your sister!"  Nicholas shouted.

"What?"  Alyssa replied in shock as she snatched the phone.  She was shocked and thought that something had to be bad, very bad.

"Katie?"  Alyssa said into the phone.

"Alyssa.  You need to come home."  Katie stammered out.

"What is going on?"

"Alyssa, dad is dying."

"What do you mean, what's wrong with him?"  Alyssa rubbed her temple in frustration.

"He's just getting old and all the minor health problems have turned into dangerous ones."

"This is impossible."

"Alyssa everyone dies."

"You are sure it is serious?"

"Yes."

"I'll come home as soon as I can."

"Okay."

    Alyssa hung the phone up and tossed it to Nicholas.  She sat on boulder and buried her face in her hands.  Nicholas went to her and put his arm around her.

"I'll go with you."  Nicholas said softly as he rubbed her shoulder.

"Will you really?"  Alyssa managed to whimper. 

"Alyssa of course.  I'll always be here for you."  Nicholas rubbed her shoulder gently.

"Thank you so much.  You are such a good friend."  Alyssa wiped the tears away and stood.

"When shall we leave?"

"Could you actually call and see when we can get a flight?  I'd really appreciate it.  I need to go pack."

"No problem.  Would you like me to drive you?"

"I can drive, I'll be fine."

"Alyssa, I am sorry about your father."

"I'm gonna go."

    Alyssa gathered her tools and started her hike down the rocks to her black beat up jeep.  The saddened young woman move quickly and the tears streamed down.  I guess I have to be ready to go home now.  I just can't believe this.  Dad is supposed to live forever.  All those thoughts and more were traveling in her mind rapidly.  It took about fifteen minutes to reach her old jeep.  Alyssa put her tools in the back and hopped into the front seat.  She sat in the front seat for a moment, her hands gripping the steering wheel.  Alyssa roared the engine to life.  She flung dirt as she squealed the tires. 

    As Alyssa drove down the hills, she took in everything around her.  She didn't know when or if she would be coming back here.  This may be the last time she would get to see the rugged mountains or the festive shops with the townspeople she had grew to love.  Alyssa would miss everything about this town. 

    When Alyssa reached the motel she stayed at she went straight to her room without speaking to any of the native people outside or inside the building.  The tears started when the saddened young lady shut her door and locked it. 
© Copyright 2009 masseye75 (masseye75 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1572714-The-Forbidden-Gem