*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573349-The-Tranquility-of-Pink-Blossoms
Rated: 13+ · Other · Romance/Love · #1573349
A man tries to understand why his wife is dying.
This story still needs a little work. I'm going to make the story all in Rob's POV later. I don't know why but for some reason it helps me to get into everyones head before writing only in one persons POV. Also this is going to turn into a prologue and Rob stories going to continue as he moves on from his wifes death. I hope it works I just got to finish the book I'm working on first.  926 words.







         Horse hoofs clicked on pavement as Rob sat next to his wife, Josephine. He watched her face fill with excitement as the horse carriage headed toward their destination. Love for her grew every second he was with her, but for the last few months that love was encircled by sadness. Even now when she turned to look at him with such enjoyment in her face he wanted to cry. Her light blue eyes set deep in black circles and her face was ashen, but she was still beautiful. Especially as the lowering sun bounced off her soft blonde curls and a seductive smile plastered on her face. Rob scooted closer to Josephine and wrapped his arms around her.

###

         Affection for Rob flowed through her as she watched sadness fill his brown eyes. Josephine ran a hand through his short brown hair and kissed his soft lips. It had to be hard for him to live with the knowledge that she was dying. Every since the day they found out she had cancer Rob hadn’t left her side. Their days had been full of spontaneous stuff like this ride on a horse carriage around England. She was excited to find out what crazy place they would be ending up at today. Patting Rob’s knee she directed her attention back to the peaceful scenery.

###

         Anticipation caused knots to form in Rob’s stomach, as they got closer. This moment had to be perfect for his sweet angel. Before they turned a corner, Rob reached up and covered Josephine’s eyes.

         When she tried to wiggle out of his hands Rob inched closer to her ear and whispered, “My love, we are almost there and I don’t want to spoil the surprise. So you need to keep your eyes closed.”

         Slowly he lifted his hands to make sure she had complied then he moved off the carriage as it came to a halt.

###

         Josephine stood on the carriage with her eyes held tightly shut and a wide grin on her face. Sounds of Rob rummaging around reached her ears along with the joyous chirps of birds. A temptation to peek came over her, but she knew she couldn’t.

         Warm arms enveloped her as Rob said, “Keep your eye’s shut,” and sensations ran through her body as he carried her to an unknown spot.

         “One more second,” Rob said as he sat her down.

         “I don’t think I can wait any longer,” she replied.

         “Okay, I’m ready. You can open them now.”

         The image that filled her head was phenomenal. Two trees with dark pink blooms sat in the center of a meadow. These blooms also covered the ground and in the middle of all this Rob had laid out a picnic and sat on the blanket completely naked. She stifled a giggle and hurried to his side.

         “It’s absolutely beautiful, but I don’t understand why you would lay in the middle of such a wonderful view naked. It ruined the whole thing.”

         “Hey,” Rob said then pinned her under him, “At least I don’t have a huge ugly freckle on my boob.”

         They laughed then Rob kissed Josephine deeply. Moving into the kiss, she struggled to remove her clothes, and soon they enjoyed the dance that only lovers can make while the sun moved slowly over the horizon. When they finished they both lay naked and watched the stars come out one by one. Josephine lay in the crook of Rob’s arm twiddling with a branch of cherry blossoms while Rob ran a finger down her arm.

         “This is so wonderful. Thanks for bringing me here,” Josephine said as she turned to face Rob.

         “I found this place a few years ago on that business trip I took. All I could think about is you because its beauty reminded me of you and I knew I would bring you here one day. I didn’t know it would be under these circumstances though.”

         Silence surrounded them and Rob laid his head on hers. Tears threatened to form in Josephine’s eyes. She had to be strong for Rob. He needed to accept this tragedy, but what could she say to make him feel better?

         “I’m gonna miss the hell out of you,” Rob said as his voice broke and wet drops fell on her head.

         She turned and faced him to wipe away the tears. “I’ll still be with you Rob. Forever and always here.” She pointed to his heart.

         “I know, but I just don’t understand why nature chose to take you away from me. Of all the people in the world you are the one that gets this horrible disease.”

         “I don’t know either.” She gave him a long kiss. “I love you and I wouldn’t have spent such a special moment with anyone else. You’ve made my last days here worth living.”

         Looking down at the blooms in her hand she slowly slid them into Rob’s hand. “Here take these and keep them to always remember the time we‘ve had here. The peacefulness of it, and the happiness. This is how I want you to always remember me.”

###

         Rob took the small flowers in his hand and felt a thick wave of serenity come over him. Laying back he found that finally he was able to accept the fact of Josephine’s death, and would make sure that from this moment on every second he had with her would be just as special as today. He grasped her fragile fingers and looked out at the darkening sky.
© Copyright 2009 Amber Autry (amberautry at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1573349-The-Tranquility-of-Pink-Blossoms