*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1576950-Chenoa-part-6
Rated: E · Fiction · Young Adult · #1576950
Chenoa part 6
27.
They all went to bed early and Chenoa had another wonderful night of dreamless sleep. Then suddenly at two in the morning something brushed against Chenoa’s face. A soft purring vibrated in her ears. Opening her eyes, Chenoa stared into the face of a misty looking jaguar. It stared at her, inches from her face, its dark gray eyes unblinking. Swallowing Chenoa felt fear skitter through her stomach.
Follow me.
Chenoa blinked. The cat had not spoken yet Chenoa had heard the words, and not in her mind as she did with Galaxy but in her bones.
Follow me, spellbinder.
The jaguar turned and padded away not making a sound. Hesitating Chenoa bit her lip unsure of what to do. At the cave entrance, the feline stopped and looked at her.
He is waiting.
He? Chenoa stood up curious now of whom he was. Silently Chenoa followed the phantom cat out of the cave and into the moonlit morning. Padding through the underbrush, the cat did not flutter a single leaf as it walked. It passed through bushes as if they did not exist.
Chenoa tried to follow as silently but she struggled through the tearing branches. Mist slowly worked around her ankles and grew thicker as time passed. In time Chenoa became nervous about being so far from camp. Stopping she looked back at the way she came.
Come. We are almost there. He is right through these bushes.
Hesitating once more, Chenoa glanced back then followed the cat through a thick set of bushes. The branches pulled at her and she squinted as she clenched her teeth and pushed through. With a gasp she toppled out of the bushes and fell onto the soft earthy floor.
Soft laughter met Chenoa’s ears.
“Always liked making a grand entrance, Chenoa,” a soft voice spoke.
Looking up Chenoa saw Draco sitting in a low branch, the jaguar in his lap purring like a house cat. For a moment, Chenoa could not speak. Her mind froze in awe of Draco. He looked exquisite in the silver moon light, which reflected off of his long flowing hair, and illuminated his strong handsome features.
“Draco,” she gasped. “What are you doing here?”
“Oh, just stopping by for a visit.”
“Where did you go after that night? What happened?”
“Nothing happened. I just left. It was time for me to go anyways. You had to be trained. Plus I missed my forests.”
“Star was angry about the star. He feels you were wrong or selfish or something I don’t know.”
Draco frowned.
“Star knows nothing. He is too conceded like most unicorns to see beyond this time and place.”
“What do you mean?”
“It is not important.”
“But…”
“I did not come to talk of such unpleasantness. I came to talk about you.”
Chenoa blushed.
“There is not much to say.”
“How have you been?”
“Fine. Tired. There has been sooo much going on and I don’t know. I don’t even know what I’m up against.”
“What has happened?”
“Lots.”
“Tell me.”
Sighing Chenoa relayed her adventures to him. Draco frowned as he listened. Chenoa could not tell if he was worried or angry…or both. Hopping down from the branch he strolled over to her and lifted her chin in his hand.
“That Tom will not touch you, I promise.”
“He only wants to return me to his master.”
“Do not be so sure. I know of this Tom and he desires power more than anything. He has seen your power and he will want it. Do not underestimate him.”
“Okay, but I don’t see it. I mean I don’t feel strong or powerful. I lost control once but that could be a mere fluke. I don’t understand what is going on! I don’t understand how or why this could be happening.”
Chenoa felt something break. All of her stress and worry seemed to break out of its dam the moment Draco touched her.
“I feel guilty about Gabby and Nick. I feel guilty that I have involved my friends. I already almost had Chris and Sun killed. I don’t know what more I could do to hurt them.”
“It is not your fault.”
“But…”
“Chenoa, you are a strong woman. If you were not, you would not be so powerful. You are guilty of nothing except being yourself.”
“If I am so strong, why do I feel so weak?”
Draco looked at Chenoa then pulled her in and hugged her. She instinctively hugged him back, letting his warmth fill her. For some reason, Chenoa trusted Draco. Chenoa trusted him, no matter what others said. She felt close to him.
“It is a common mistake to believe that being strong and being weak are opposites, you can be a strong person but be weak.”
“They say I should not trust you,” she blurted.
Draco looked down at her his eyes steady, his face expressionless.
“And what do you think?”
“I…I think I can.”
“Than you can.”
“But you’re a nonelement. They say that nonelements are self-gain creatures that lure women and men off. They say that you are creatures of whim.”
Chenoa took a deep breath, holding it, unsure of what Draco would do or say. Lookin away Draco seemed sad but when he looked at Chenoa again he was expressionless again.
“We are. I admit to it. I cannot fight my nature. Even now I fight it. You are a beautiful girl and as my nature calls I do wish to take you away, but I resist out of my feelings for you. I have never made a person go against their will but I would not do such a thing to you. You can trust me.”
“But you are struggling with your nature?”
“Every moment I am near you. You must have felt it when I first met you. If your father had not reminded me to stay in the right mind, I probably would have enticed you away right then.”
“I do not wish to cause you problems, Draco. I do not wish to make you go against your nature.”
“You are not making me. I choose to for I care for you. You are very dear to me and I would never forgive myself if I did something to hurt you. I, after all, owe you much more than you know.”
“What do you mean?”
“Ah, it is a long story. One day I may tell you, but some other day. For now you must be returning. I can feel the sun waking.”
With that Draco kissed Chenoa on the cheek gently and disappeared. The feline in the trees purred softly then vanished too. Chenoa blinked and to her amazement she was back in the cave.


28.
Chenoa quickly faked that she was sleeping and she thought later that she might have over done it when she yawned and acted like she had sand in her eyes from the sleep. Venus gave her an odd look but said nothing. Once everyone was up, they packed up and started heading through the forest. The sun hadn’t risen yet so it was somewhat dark in the woods. Candy held a torch high in the air as he led the way holding Venus’s hand.
Tons of questions ran through Chenoa’s mind but she was in so much awe of the forest that she could say nothing. As she walked she looked at everything and she felt that the world she was in just then was perfect, pure, wise, and ancient.
“Chenoa, are you all right?” whispered a voice.
It startled Chenoa because she had been deep in thought and the voice came from inside her head.
“Its okay, Chenoa. It is just me, Galaxy,” explained the voice.
“Oh, that is good. Yah, I am fine,” thought Chenoa.
“Why do I sense you are lying?”
“I’m not!”
“Chenoa.”
“It’s just I feel guilty. Everyone is doing this for me and stuff. And I don’t know I don’t really feel as if there is that much danger so far, yet everyone says there is.”
“We are doing this, not just for you, but for ourselves. And there is a great deal of danger. I know it doesn’t feel like it but you will just have to trust me. What else is bothering you?”
“Nothing….well I have been having dreams and stuff. Seeing things.”
“What kind of things?”
“Animals. The deeper I go into this world or maybe it is the longer I am in this world I keep seeing animals. Yet they aren’t really animals, I think. They are like ghosts but not ghosts, for they seem to made of a thick gray smoke and have life but they come and disappear like ghosts.”
“Really?”
“Yes, and sometimes they speak to me. Not in words or through my mind as you do but they do. It’s like I can feel them in my bones. It’s as if my body is speaking.”
“What animals have you seen?”
“Some birds, a bear, a jaguar, and I think a rabbit or two.”
Chenoa paused thinking about the cat from last night.
“Do you think that they are nonelements? Like Draco?”
Galaxy snapped her head around and looked at Chenoa sharply.
“Chenoa,” Galaxy thought. “Nonelement are rare and far and few between are honest or nice. You should not trust them.”
“I know. That wasn’t my question though. And Draco doesn’t seem that bad.”
“Draco is self-promoting and arrogant. He is a nonelement to a tee.”
Galaxy’s eyes softened as she saw Chenoa’s face down turn.
“But he is not bad or as bad as some. No. I have known him to be quite caring and sometimes, though rarely keep in mind, trustworthy. Has he contacted you?”
“No.”
Galaxy looked at Chenoa but said nothing more. Chenoa did not meet Galaxy’s gaze, ashamed at lying but also upset at the attack on Draco.
“We should stop and rest for awhile. We don’t want to waste our energy just in case we have to run. We’ll set up camp. I don’t think it would be wise to travel much farther,” called Candy from in front of Chenoa.
“Chenoa and I will go gather some food to eat, while everyone else rests,” Venus chimed grabbing Chenoa’s arm and pulling her away from the group.
“Okay, but be careful, both of you,” ordered Candy giving Venus a hard stare.
“We will be, don’t be such a worrywart,” laughed Venus as she and Chenoa walked off through the woods.
“You are so lucky to have him as a boyfriend, Venus,” Chenoa sighed soon as they were out of earshot.
“I’m lucky? You shouldn’t be talking. I have seen the way those two boys look at you. I mean I may be 289 years old but I still know what the look of love is,” smiled Venus as she started to pick some berries.
“You’re how old?” Chenoa gasped.
“Well okay, 290 years, but not a day older,” she chuckled winking.
“You don’t look a day over twenty,” Chenoa said a bit envious and amazed.
“Thank you.”
“Your relationship seems simple. You and Candy are the same race, have known each other for what seems like years and you seem to complete each other. My relationships are little more complicated. Chris is human and Sun is both nonelement and Imp. Me, I am a spellbinder and an Indian.”
Venus coughed but said nothing for a moment.
“Personally, I think that either way you can’t lose. They are both cute, in a non-fairy type way.”
“I guess.”
“You don’t know anything, do you?
“About this world and the people…err…creatures? No, I don’t. When I was little I had dreams of me coming into a world like this but they were just dreams.”
“What kind of dreams?”
“Well, I remember one time extremely well. I was with my mother and I was running around through the woods as she talked to some that looked like you, when I bumped into a little boy. He was a few years older than me and he smiled at me as he helped me up. I liked him when I first met him and I felt drawn to him. Yet at the same time I received awful vibes from him. He asked me to go with him for a little walk so we could get to know each other. Right then my mother called me and when he heard my name his eyes gleamed with something that I could not recognize. The look wasn’t hate or loathing; it was more of a painful desire and want. It scared me, and then he asked me if that was my name. I didn’t answer instead I ran,” Chenoa spoke with glazed eyes. “I heard something behind me than my mom grabbed and pulled my out of the way. She picked me up and ran to her friend. Then I woke up.”
“You didn’t dream that. I mean you did but it was a memory dream. It really happened. Your mother and I never knew who was after you but after that she would never bring you back again. We both knew that some one was after you.”
Venus became quiet and sullen. Chenoa fidgeted uncomfortably.
“That actually happened?
“Yes, but why would a boy that was your age be after you back then. Your mother and I thought it was something older, more dangerous.”
Pondering Venus looked at their basket of berries they had just collected.
“It is something to think about, I guess.”

29.
When they got back Candy asked why it took them so long.
“We were barely gone twenty minutes,” Venus sighed but Chenoa could see her pleasure in that fact that Candy was worried. “Besides we had important things to discuss. You know girl-stuff.”
“Chen, are you okay? You look sort of troubled,” asked Chris as she walked over and say beside him.
“I’m fine thanks for asking,” smiled Chenoa as Kork came and placed his head in her lap.
“Why does he care some much?” thought Chenoa. “Both boys are like that. They both know that they might die or I might die but they still help me. I just don’t understand.”
“Chenoa, I have caught some squirks,” Sun announced to Chenoa holding up a couple of squirrel type creature that had three heads and five tails.
“Why don’t you put them on the fire?” suggested Candy.
Chenoa suddenly realized that there was a blazing fire in the middle of the clearing. Sun placed the animals carefully on the fire. As Chenoa watched the fire she felt sad and alienated inside.
“I’m going to go for a walk. I would like to by myself,” Chenoa stated as she saw Sun and Chris both get up with the thought of joining her.
“It’s against my better judgment, but okay,” nodded Star noticing the forlorn expression on Chenoa’s face.
With that she started to walk off through the forest. As she walked on and on she to thought to herself about what she was going through.
It wasn’t long before she was a good distance away from the campsite. Chenoa could no longer hear the sound of her friends’ voices, nor smell the cooking squirks.
Chenoa was so engrossed in her thoughts, she almost didn’t see the pond she was approaching; in truth she probably would have walked into it if she had not accidentally kicked a stone into it. It wasn’t a large pond, but rather small instead, more like a deep puddle. Chenoa looked into the water.
Chenoa jumped back as something popped out of the water, splashing her. It was a fish, a very old fish. The fish had an orange body, small glasses and a beard.
“Hello Chenoa. What is bothering you?” the fish asked looking at Chenoa.
“How did you know my name?” Chenoa stuttered stepping back a few feet.
“I know everything, and everyone,” the fish said flatly. “Now what is bothering you? Never mind I know what it is. You are worried about your father, aren’t you?”
“How did you know?” implored Chenoa wide eyed in surprise.
“I told you I know everything. Now then would you like to see you father?”
“Yes, but how can you bring him here?”
“Oh, I can’t but I can show you what he is doing now.”
“Really?”
“Oh yes. It is quite simple. A mere parlor trick for a martfish like me.”
“A martfish?”
“Yes, a martfish. We, martfishes, are highly intelligent and we gifted in magic spells and tid-bits. We are not nearly are powerful as some creatures but we know enough from all the books we read.”
“Read?”
“But of course. Did you think your species was the only one who enjoys a good novel?”
“Well, I guess not, now that I think about it.”
“Hmmm. Anyways back to the topic at hand. Would you like to see your father?”
“Yes, I would like to very much.”
“All right. All you have to do is look into the water and concentrate on your father, but not too hard for you’re likely to boil the water.
Chenoa did as she was told and soon a foggy vision started to appear on the water. In the picture there was Chenoa’s father sitting in front of the TV. He was watching the news with a sad expression on his face. A reporter came on the screen along with a photo of Chris, Nick, Gab and Chenoa.
“It has been almost a month since the four fifteen year old children were kidnapped at their school by a band of unknown criminals. The criminals showed up during the kids seventh period, causing chaos and threatening the four teens’ teacher with a gun. The criminals captured many other children but the others were able to escape with the help of Chenoa Rose and Chris Downy, two of the missing children. By the time the police arrived the outlaws were gone with the four teenagers,” droned the reporter.
“At least they are getting half of it right,” thought Chenoa.
“Mrs. Spat, the math teacher of the missing students, told the police that when the men came into the room the searched it until they found the two girls and grabbed them. When the boys tried to help the girls they were taken too.
“Police are still searching for the poor juveniles, but as time passes chances are becoming slimmer. If you have any information on the location of any of the missing children please call your local police. Also please if you meet one of the poor parents tell them you are supporting them and send them your prayers to.”
“Oh Chenoa, why…why did you have to find out you’re a spellbinder? Why couldn’t you have been human? Little dove, please come home, alive, please,” cried Chenoa’s Papa Bear into his hands as he turned off the TV.
It was been the first time Chenoa had ever seen her father cry.
Teardrops ran down her face into the water splashing the vision into a vague picture. Then it disappeared.
“Are you okay, Chenoa?” whispered the martfish.
“Fine and thank you, but I have got to go now,” sniffled Chenoa and with that she stood up.
“May I ask a favor before you go?” the fish asked.
“I guess, it is only fair.”
“Please retrieve me an apple from the tree over there.”
Nodding Chenoa reached for an apple but she couldn’t reach it. Going on her the tip of her toes but the apples seemed just out of reach.
“I can’t grab it,” she said with slight irritation.
“Of course not. You must climb the tree in order to get an apple. The ones on the bottom are only illusions.”
Climbing into the tree she realized the tree felt much bigger than it looked. Up and up she went, always seeming to be just a little away from the apple.
“It just keeps getting farther away!” she cried in exasperation.
“Keep going you will get it soon,” the fish hollered at her.
Grunting she kept trying, yet she still was unable to salvage the apple.
“This is impossible!” she whined in frustration.
“Nothing is impossible. Keep going!”
Finally after what seemed like forever, Chenoa was close enough to grab the apple. Sweat was dripping from her face and her hands were slippery. Reaching carefully she grabbed the apple.
“I got it!” she laughed in triumph letting go of the branch with her hands.
“Good job!” the fish smiled from far bellow.
Suddenly something painful shot through Chenoa’s mind, like blue fire. Her eyes burned and she lost her balance, falling down, down, down.
Chenoa hit the water with a loud splash and found herself engulfed by the dark cold water. Colorful fish flitted around her. Dark shadows swum just out of vision. Then the shadows started coming and wrapping themselves against her, dragging her down.
Kicking and struggling she fought her way to the surface. Sputtering and gasping she pulled her body on to land. Looking she saw the apple was still in her hand.
Sitting up, still coughing, she saw the martfish watching her warily.
“You have my apple?” it snapped.
“Is that all you can ask about?” she said astonished. “I just nearly died.”
“That was your fault, not mine. Now the apple, please.”
“Here!”
She threw into the air. Jumping the fish caught it in its mouth and disappeared.
“Great, now I am all wet,” she mumbled but she looked down and saw that her clothes were perfectly dry and so was the rest of her. “This place is so very weird.”

30.
“Okay, I know that camp was near the edge of the woods. And I’m in the middle, I think,” Chenoa told herself aloud. “Heck, who am I kidding I am totally lost. I have got to remember to look where I am going so I have a clue how to get back.”
“You sound distressed fair maiden,” called a deep voice from behind Chenoa.
“Huh, oh great. That is exactly what I need, a knight in shining armor,” groaned Chenoa placing her hand on her forehead as she turned and saw who had spoken to her.
It was a tall man on a magnificent white horse with a leather saddle and rains of golden threads. The horse’s hooves and mane were silver. Chenoa couldn’t see the man’s face because his visor covered it.
“My fair lady, I heard your distressed call and I came to rescue you. My name is Sir John. What is your fair name?” announced the knight.
“My name is Chenoa and I don’t need help. I just was trying to find my way back to my campsite. My friends are waiting for me there,” Chenoa started to walk off when the horse was suddenly in front of her.
“Then allow me to help you find your friends, Maid Chenoa,” bowed Sir John.
“Shouldn’t you be bothering Maid Marian?” Chenoa said in an exasperated tone.
“I have never heard of this Maid Marian, but if she is as beautiful as you, I would like to meet her,” smiled the knight as he took off his helmet.
He had a regular face and brown eyes. His hair was also plain brown and his teeth were white-yellow.
“How boring can someone’s face be?” wondered Chenoa as she looked at Sir John.
“Come on then,” shouted John and he swept down on her and lifted her up on to her horse. “Where are your friends located?”
“They were near the edge of the forest,” shouted Chenoa as she grabbed on to the horse’s saddle for balance.
Chenoa ducked and dodged the over hanging braches as they road along. All the while Chenoa’s butt began to hurt and she wished that Sir John would stop telling her about radiant and stunning she looked.
“It feels good to have someone tell that you are those things but there is a limit of how much one can take of it,” she thought morosely.
Then to Chenoa’s great joy she heard familiar voices. She jumped off the horse and was about to run to them when Sir John jumped down beside her.
“Don’t you think I should go with you just in case it is a trap?” he questioned.
“No, I’ll just scream if something is wrong, okay,” Chenoa rushed knowing that a knight and a dragon should not meet in front of a so called maiden.
“Where were you? We were afraid that something awful had happened to you, Chenoa,” Venus gasped as she hugged Chenoa.
“Me was worried about Senoa, ork,” Kork sobbed laying his head on her shoulder.
“I got lost and then I met someone,” sighed Chenoa with a huge sigh.
“Who did you meet?” Galaxy asked in a dreading tone.
“His name was Sir John and he kept calling me maiden,” replied Chenoa with a shrug.
“Oh, no,” groaned Galaxy. “Here we go again. We’ll meet you at the river boarder.”
“What does that mean….”
Sir John raced through the trees grabbing Chenoa and running off with her. As John spend off Chenoa heard Star telling her to meet them at the river boarder.
“What are you doing? Are you nuts? Put me down!” yelled Chenoa as she twisted and turned in Sir John’s arms.
“I mustn’t let the hideous dragon get you fair damsel. It is my job to protect you,” he called above the heavy hoof beats of his stead.
“What?” cried Chenoa looking up at him. “That was my friend, you dingbat! She is my guardian! Just put me down! Do you here me? Put me down!”
As she screamed a voice yelled, “I’m coming!” Next thing Chenoa knew, she is up in the arm of yet another man. This man had brown hair and eyes. Barely covering his pointy chin was a wiry goatee.
“Here we go again,” mumbled Chenoa as she groaned in exasperation as she recognized the man.
It was Robin Hood, the one and only. He smiled down at her showing yellowing teeth.
“You are safe now fair maiden,” beamed Robin Hood as soon as they landed on a wooden balcony.
“I was safe and I am not a maiden. My name is Chenoa Rose and thank you, but I have to get back to my friends,” Chenoa scoffed as she straightened her clothes.
“But you captive of the evil Sir John, who taxes the poor and gives to the rich,” Robin said in confusion.
“Yeah, yeah, I know what it looked like, but he thought he was saving me but he really wasn’t. See he escorted me back to my friends when he found me lost in the woods, yet when he saw my dragon, don’t commitment, he thought I was in danger and he grabbed me,” Chenoa told the outlaw. “What he didn’t know was that the dragon is my guardian and friend.”
“It is just like John to jump to conclusions like that,” snorted Robin Hood.
“You would have done the same thing and you know it,” coughed Chenoa giving Robin Hood a knowing look.
“I won’t deny it,” admitted Robin straightening to his full height.
“Not surprising,” confessed Chenoa giving Robin Hood a smile. “Now I have to be heading back to my friends. First, of course, I have to find them.”
“It’s dangerous out there! There have been large men walking around terrorizing the people and animals of these woods,” Robin Hood stated in shock. “You could get hurt.”
Chenoa looked down and she was over whelmed with the feeling of guilt. Innocent people and creatures were being hurt because of her. It made her wonder if she should turn herself in.
“Are you okay?” Robin Hood asked in a concerned voice.
“No, but I will be when this whole ordeal is over with. Those men, who you have seen and heard about, are after me,” sighed Chenoa. “I have not done anything wrong; they work for some bad guy, who for some unknown reason wants me.”
“The answer is simple. You are so beautiful and glorious,” commented Robin.
“Yeah, yeah, thanks. All I know is that I have to find my friends,” shrugged Chenoa climbing down the tree in which the plat form was built
“At least let me escort you to your friends or help you in some way,” begged Robin Hood.
Chenoa just shook her head.
“Fine, than at least take my sword. I will not take no for an answer, even though I don’t think a woman should handle a sword. Don’t worry about returning it either, I have tons of swords,” Robin Hood finally offered shoving the sword that he carried into Chenoa’s hands.
“Thank you, Robin Hood,” Chenoa blushed as she slung the sword over her shoulder. “I am eternally grateful.”
Then she swiftly turned away and walked into the trees that lay before her.

31.
Her progress was slow at first but when she had gotten close to the edge of the woods, travel became easier. As she walked she looked at her surroundings. She kept reminding herself to find the river boarder, what ever that was.
“I think I should ask the next person I see where the river boarder is,” Chenoa told herself.
She walked on and on. Soon she was totally bored, so she started to image all of her dreams that she had about this place when she was little. When she remembered the one with the boy in it, she was shocked to see that the area around her resembled the place where she had met him. Chenoa shivered in uncontrollable fear. Then there was a rustling of leaves from behind her.
“Come out from the bushes unless you’re a coward and a worm,” demanded Chenoa standing her place in the trees getting ready to draw the sword.
Slowly out walked a figure from the bushes and Chenoa recognized it immediately.
“Autumn, it’s you!” gasped Chenoa clasped the little man’s shoulder in happiness.
“Are you okay?” Autumn asked in a stern voice.
There was something different about Autumn. He seemed more serious, sterner in some way. It made Chenoa shiver.
“I’m fine but I have to meet my friends at the river boarder. Can you help me get there?” Chenoa asked Autumn on sudden inspiration, stepping back from him.
There was definitely something different about him. He was stiff and solemn. His eyes were not full of joy and mischief as they had been when Chenoa had first met him. They were stony gray, hard, and full of sadness.
Before he could answer there was the sound of cracking twigs and another figure appeared.
“Of course, he can. Do you think we would just let you wander around in the woods by yourself when you are being chased by thugs?” smiled the stranger.
Startled Chenoa blushed as she recognized him as the man from the river.
“Uh, thank you. How did you know that I am being chased by some goons?” questioned Chenoa giving Autumn a searching look.
“Everyone knows!” Autumn answered quickly his eyes darting to the man.
“Oh, that’s just great. Just what I need a whole bunch of mystical creatures knowing that a half spellbinder person is lost in the woods, while being chased by a pack of gangsters,” groaned Chenoa as she sat down on the ground.
“Stop complaining and get up. We have a ways to go before we will reach the river,” commanded Autumn.
“Fine, you don’t have to be so controlling,” pointed out Chenoa as she got up and started behind Autumn, who had already started walking in one direction.
“Yes, Autumn, you should be more polite to the poor girl. Can’t you see she has had a rough time?” the man smiled bitterly. “Here have my jacket you look cold.”
Without listening to Chenoa’s objections the man from the river placed his long coat around her. His hands brushed against her for a second too long and Chenoa fought the urge to shiver. The coat hung around her loosely for a second then somehow it seemed to tighten around her as if it was a pair of arms. Warmth radiated from it and soon Chenoa felt a lazy comfortableness easing into her.
They walked for hours on end, without a stop for a rest or for food. Chenoa could not understand what had caused the change over Autumn but she had fun trying to make him smile and laugh. Yet the best she could do was a small smirk. He did not laugh and he barely smiled. His companion on the other hand laughed openly and tried to engage Chenoa in conversation as much as he could. Chenoa did not trust this man, but found it hard to resist his charms.
“It will be dark soon. We better make camp. They can’t expect you to make it in one day,” proclaimed Autumn as he stopped in a clearing.
“Okay,” agreed Chenoa.
She was too tired to argue with him, even though she did want to get to the river as fast as she could.
“Could you set up the tents, while I go get some food, and firewood?” asked Autumn giving Chenoa a side long glance.
“Sure,” Chenoa perked up.
When Autumn was out of site Chenoa picked up the two tents and placed them next to each other.
“Tents open,” sighed Chenoa and the tents popped open. “No creativity at all.”
“Most spells are plain and boring,” agreed a cool voice from next to her.
Chenoa looked at the young man and blushed. She had forgotten about him. He moved closer to her, his eyes grooving hers. Blushing more Chenoa wanted to move but couldn’t.
“I am to guess, by your manners to me, you remember me from the river,” he grinned wolfishly.
“Yes.”
“You must forgive me, I was only playing then. I admit I am a bit of trickster at times.”
“Don’t mention it.”
“I would like to make it up to you.”
“That’s okay.”
“Please.”
“No.”
“Would it help if I say that I didn’t find you that attractive anyways?”
“Excuse me?”
“When I saw you, I didn’t find you that attractive.”
Chenoa was too stunned to speak. Though his opinion didn’t necessarily matter, her pride stung.
“Well, who the hell cares what you think?”
“Obviously you do. You’re blushing.”
“Grrrr...”
“As I was saying you body didn’t suit me. You’re shapely but I like women with more here.”
He grabbed his chest and shook his hands as if he was holding something. Chenoa gawked at him, both furious and embarrassed. The man just smiled and watched her intently.
“You know you’re a piece of work! If you didn’t like seeing me naked then why did you bring it up and why did you stare at me so intently at the river?”
It was his turn to blush.
“I was trying to apologize and you can’t blame a man at looking at something so inept.”
Chenoa snarled and walked up to him. She shoved him hard in the chest with both hands knocking him back a step.
“You’re such an ass! What the hell gives you the right to talk about my body that way,” she spat going to push him again.
“I can say or do whatever I want,” he growled grabbing both of her wrists.
“Oh yeah, what are you a king or something?”
“Or something.”
“Let go of me.”
“No.”
“I said let go of me!”
“I don’t want to!”
“You maybe used to doing what you want with other people but I’m not other people!”
“I can still do whatever I want!”
“Bullshit!”
The man’s eyes glittered and he tightened his grip on her wrists. Yanking her to him, he kissed her passionately, his grip becoming almost painful. Struggling Chenoa was shocked by the electric current that raced through their bodies as his lips touched her. Both attracted and repelled, Chenoa fought with herself about whether to do nothing or hit him. There was a small cough and the man released her.
Chenoa turned around to see Autumn holding a large quantity of fire wood.
“I didn’t know you were there,” the man said with a cough.
“Of course,” Autumn scowled as he dropped the fire wood in front of Chenoa.
“Do you want me to start the fire?” Chenoa inquired awkwardly.
“No, I can do it. Here is some food,” replied Autumn as he brought to life a fire. “Eat it and get warm, then go to bed. We have a big day tomorrow.”
“I’m not hungry. I’ll just go to bed instead,” Chenoa said getting up from the fire and she walked into her tent. “Good night.”
Autumn did not answer; instead he just stared at the fire as if he was in deep thought. The man watched her intently, his tongue licking his lips, his mind reeling.



© Copyright 2009 Dreamer (dcg1189 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1576950-Chenoa-part-6