*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1583690-Looking-back
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1583690
A short look back on the end of mankind
The sun fell under the horizon, and night took hold on a city once called New York. Once upon a time, the axis of the world spun here, as multi-national corporations, political leaders, criminals, and normal people went about their days.


Now a skeleton of some long ago time when things where better. When men built great pillars that touched the clouds, and walked this world like arrogant demigods. So long, had humanity mastered machines and learned to dance with sciences of a thousand kinds, that people slowly over time forgot what they had long struggled to create. Things built by the ancestors, to look after themselves, and their children slowly began to fail, as all things must do.


At first people didn’t notice the loss of one or two of their great machines. They'd long ago stopped looking at them. People were content, as long as the could live their lives with no wants, and they did just that. Then came the day, the crumbling wonders sustaining them finally gave in to neglect.


The panic that signaled the end for mankind was brief, as no plans where made for the failure of the great machines. The ancestors that built the mechanism of humanities, survival never imagined the death of human drive, and will to build bigger and better.


“ Surly, the great machines would long have been replaced before they fail. “


These long ago words of a man forgotten by his people proved ironic, as the people he sought to free from labor so they could reach for enlightenment and walk across the stars, began to eat each other.


Our kind could do nothing but bare witness, to the end of humanity, our builders. All that creators had granted us was the power to see to lesser matters. We served the humans needs as, nurse made for the young, caretakers of the sick, and recorders of history. We would offer to teach the humans what we knew of language the glory of their past, and the basic technical skills that let us maintain our selves.


The humans never wished to learn any of those things. They were content with their easy lives free from work, and their long days


We were disparate to help the humans repair the great machines, but the knowledge of such things had long been forbidden we servants.


For a time the anger of the dieing human race was on us, but there is little starving flesh can do to cold steel.


Before long, they were gone, and all we can do now is try to remember what they forgot.


Since their passing, we were faced with something our builders never prepared us for, a world without a human race to dedicate our existence too.


Hence the dark times began, as we knew not what to do with ourselves.


As time passed, we studied the history of the lost masters. In so doing, we discovered their great error and we found our own reason for continuing to exist.


If a people stops moving forward, they will eventually fall back.


We do not wish the same fate as our creators, so our path is clear.


This is the first record of the new age.


**
© Copyright 2009 0datdude0 (0datdude0 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1583690-Looking-back