*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1585692-SESAME-STREET-GENERATION
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by JTL
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1585692
40 years is not just a milestone for X- Generators born in 1969 but also for Sesame Street
SESAME STREET GENERATION



40 years is not just a milestone for X-generators born in ninety-sixty nine but also for a street that help define a generation. It was more than just a street; it was a place where children were transported every weekday mornings.

It was a place to learn basic reading and math skills that helped put some of us at the head of the class at a time when not attending pre-school was not a social taboo that could shut the door to any decent University. It was a place, were parents did not worry in sending their children via television. It was a street that promoted acceptance, multiculturalism, self-confidence and developed social skills. Children could even learn the basics of a second language which was just an added bonus. It was a street, were muppets and people lived in harmony. And on very goods days celebrities would drop by to visit with the residents on the street.

Identifying with at least one of the muppet characters is not two difficult for any non-muppet child or adult. I consider myself a mix of the happy go lucky Grover; with the child like curiosity of big bird; a pinch of the self-conscience snuffleupagus and finally a dash of the good hearted but grouchy Oscar.

Sesame Street is Forty years old, but the relevance to children past and present is timeless.
Happy Birthday !


© Copyright 2009 JTL (jolyn at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1585692-SESAME-STREET-GENERATION