*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1591561-Insanity-Short-Story-3
by A.S.H
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1591561
Alright, please rate and review. This is from the rebels point of view.
There was no hope left, the empire was winning. Felgrin held back a groan, thinking about the speech he messed up. ‘It was supposed to be simple,’ he thought, ‘I would just state the facts and be done with it…damn those cheeky bastards of the council!’ Turning over in his bed of straw he stared at the wall. It didn’t go as planned; he wasn’t probably going to get the reinforcements he needed. ‘Damn it! Why di-‘ he was interrupted from his thoughts by a knock at the door. “Who is it?” he said gruffly.

“It’s me, Grevle, open the door,” the boy on the other side said, shaking the door knob with vigor.

The young man arose from his position on the bed and went to the door. “Hold on a sec will you,” he yelled. He slid the key into the lock and turned it, the door then proceeded to swing open, hitting his face. “Ouch! Watch it!” Felgrin yelled, pushing the door away from his face.

“Don’t be such a baby! Anyways I got some important news!” Grevle bounced up and down excitedly, like an impatient child.

Felgrin just scowled at the anxious boy, rubbing his still throbbing face. “Oh, and what is it that is so damn important?”

Grevle just smiled and grabbed on to Felgrin’s shoulders, shaking them. “Guess what! The council approved your idea! I think they’re thinking about putting you on the council!” The young boy said, speaking quickly.

Prying the boy off his shoulder he gave him a sour look. “What, what do you mean they approved? That damn ogre made a fool of me!” Felgrim exclaimed, remembering the previous events that took place.

“Awww come on, I think that Gruug really likes you!” Grevle was now sitting on Felgrin’s straw bed, his body splayed across it. “I’m sure he was just testing you!”

Felgrin raised an eyebrow, “Really now? In front of the whole council, that’s good news.”

“Awww don’t be so sarcastic bro, the council approved, you get your idea put into action!” The boy jumped off the bed and pumped a fist in the air.

Felgrin just stood there, deep in thought. ‘My idea eh… my idea…’

The room was lit with ten torches, each to signify a council member. They sat under the flames, garbed in dark brown cloaks that were the color of fresh earth. They were chanting something in the dead language of Sweld.

Cral gru nee sao
Cral shol movew zur
Volsh gruish quo moc nee develori

The chanting grew louder and louder, until every part of the cavern was filled with it. Felgrin stood to the side of an old altar made of marble. Behind the altar was a cloaked creature that stood many hands above the young man. The figure raised two hands and removed the hood, revealing the face of an ogre. The beast was definitely a male, due to his strong features and slight facial hair. He was tall and his skin was a deep grey with a greenish tinge. His muscles could be seen, barely being contained by the cloak.

“My friends!” the creature said in a booming voice, a strong Orgorish accent was evident. “I Gruug Brugforg am calling this council for one reason, to allow the hearing of brother Felgrin’s plans!” He turned his head to the nervous man. “Brother Felgrin, if you would kindly take the stand, the council will now hear what you have to say.” He bowed to Felgrin and walked away from the altar, taking his seat.

Felgrin took a deep breath and said, “My fellow Brothers and Sisters, I have some dire news.” He paused, trying to read their reactions behind the hoods. “Our spies in The Elied have told us that the kingdom of Illinor is trying to take over Port Skelan, and the entire Nagre Empire!”

One of the council members raised a slender hand into the air. “My dear brother, we already know this, in fact every empire in the entire world knows that, please get to the point.”

Felgrin kept a serious face, but inside his calm exterior he was starting to get nervous. “Ahem, well the spies have said that the empire is neglecting everything except the war and The Elied!” He stopped for dramatic effect, trying to get the council interested. “So this is why we should strike now! The enemy’s defense is low; we should deliver a finishing blow!” The council just stared at him, not moving.

The tension was broken when Gruug raised his hand and said, “And what do you propose we do? Rush blindly at them with what little man power we have left?” He folded his thick arms and leaned back in his chair.

“No of course not, please everyone listen to what I have to say!” Felgrin waved his hands in the air, trying to gather everyone’s attention. “We should take back the Beyrosh Mountains and free the ogres and trolls that have been enslaved by the actions of Illinor! We should send messenger birds… the Auror Falcons! They are small and can travel over a thousand miles in only a day’s time! We can send our plans, we can tell them of Illinor’s weaknesses!” he yelled, his voice rising higher and higher. “If we do that we gain many valuable allies-“

“And then Illinor turns its attentions to us,” Gruug interjected, stopping Felgrin in his tracks.

“Yes but by then we would be stronger…much stronger!” Felgrin said in a loud voice.

One of the cloaked figures raised a hand, a normal hand. This figure was seated at the head of the table, and this person had the largest torch above his head. “My dear brother Felgrin… what you say is true… but if it fails, we will all fail.”

Felgrin let his head droop, he looked towards the floor and said, “Then we fail oh grandmaster of the council… but we need to take that chance! Otherwise why would we call ourselves rebels?!” Fire returned to the man’s eyes, his face seemed to lighten.

The grandmaster just nodded his head, so did the majority of the council…except for Gruug. “Felgrin… we are rebels but not idiot,.” Gruug stated bluntly. “If your plan is that shallow… I am afraid I cannot accept such a ridiculous idea… I am most sorry.”

Felgrin just looked at Gruug, as so did the other council members. They all nodded their heads in agreement. “What are you saying?” he asked, rejection in his voice

The grandmaster spoke up, “Please brother Felgrin, wait in your room… we will send a messenger over with our answer… you are dismissed.” He waved his hand, telling the dejected looking man to leave.

“Y-yes… thank you for your time…” He felt empty, like the life had been sucked out of him by a Desert Wraith. He walked slowly back to his chambers awaiting an answer…


“Yes!” Felgrin shouted enthusiastically. “Yes! My plan worked!” He started to dance around the room, making his younger brother laugh.

“Don’t get a big head Felgrin… this plan is risky, everyone knows that,” his brother warned, shaking a finger at him. “Don’t get cocky, that’s the last thing we need.”

“Fine, but tonight we celebrate! Ambershill is on me!” He danced towards his drawer, pulling out one silver coin. Grevle just pumped his fist in the air and gave out a loud whoop. “Let’s go!” And with that they were off, traversing deeper into the caves of the Enlek mountains, hoping to enjoy the night.

© Copyright 2009 A.S.H (cycle898 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1591561-Insanity-Short-Story-3