*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1592161-Insanity-Short-Story-4
by A.S.H
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1592161
A brief story on the travels of Azre and Haile. Please review!
  It was a cold night, so cold in fact that one’s breath looked like a tiny soul rising to heaven.  The landscape was covered by a thin layer of snow and ice; it looked like a canvas waiting to be painted by the colors of spring. White and brown were the only colors that could be seen, weathered oaks dripping with ice. Silence, this was pure silence, not a creature stirred, not a cry was heard.  No… wait… off in the distance, the sound of hooves could be heard. Ice and twigs crunching beneath heavy beasts, a soft whinny could be heard.

  “How much longer?” a hooded man asked his companion. Two people rode side by side, one a man and the other was clearly a woman. The man had a beautifully decorated saber at his left side; the female had a large claymore on her back.  He turned head to the female, not hearing a response. Unlike the man she was shrouded by a black cloak that was pulled tightly to her body.  She just continued to stare out at the expanse of land before them, ignoring the question.

  “Azre, how much longer until we arrive! I have a deadline to keep you know!” the man spoke with an annoyed tone, he was grinding his teeth. The woman only gave a slight nod, not answering the question.  “Damn the Divine Order Azre! I am just trying to make sure we get there on time!”

  The woman responded in a casual tone, “Have I ever failed you Haile?”

  “N-no but still!”

  “Then it is settled, and keep your voice down, we don’t want to attract bandits.” Her mouth could be seen curving upwards into a grin, and her hands gripped the reins tighter. The man turned his head the other way, pouting underneath his hood.

  Just then a small frengles mouse darted underneath the woman’s horse, causing it to buck slightly. “Easy there Spire,” she cooed to the blue roan. She patted the horse’s neck, causing it to snort in satisfaction.

  “You really are too good with animals,” the Haile commented, finally looking back at Azre. He spurred his white stallion forward, so he was again side by side with his companion.

  “It’s nothing more than some treats and physical contact,” she responded quickly. “If you take the time, anyone can build a relationship with beasts.”

  He smiled and whispered, “Hey Azre… do you think we can take these hoods off, I’m sure no one will recognize us out here.”

  She shook her head and said in a sharp tone, “Are you daft? We cannot afford to be seen, The Elied is everywhere!” The man dropped his head, clearly disappointed.

  They continued on in silence, not speaking to each other. Time seemed to pass slowly, nothing happening, the only sound was the horse’s steady stride.

  “Hey… Azre,” Haile said, breaking the silence.

  “Hmmm.”

  “I was thinking that maybe we should go faster. I mean it is almost nightfall, and I do not want to be travelling at night.”

  “We are fine at this pace, if we run into no trouble you will be at your destination early, young prince.” She continued to stare forward, moving her head slightly as if she was scoping the land.

  “B-but… I mean camping out here… is that not most uncomfortable?” Haile looked at Azre for some form of support.

  “Yes, it will be most uncomfortable, but what can one do,” she stated bluntly, signaling the end of the current conversation. Haile just hung his head in defeat and sighed.

  The sun was starting to lower in the sky, the woodland creatures were starting to tuck themselves away in their burrows. Azre gave a sigh, “Haile, we will be stopping soon.”

  He looked up with a grimace. “Grand, just grand, he whispered, not wanting to upset the girl. ‘It is bad enough that we have to travel this distance in such a short time… but camping in the wild… what a barbaric thing to do!’ He was wrapped up in his own thoughts, not once speaking his mind to Azre.

  “Follow me,” she announced, signaling Haile to hurry up. Snapping out of his thoughts he spurred his horse forward, to once again catch up to Azre.
She dismounted her horse, and Haile followed after her, doing the same. Grabbing the reins she led the two horses and Haile deep into some woods. They walked for what seemed like ages until Azre stopped. She took the reins and tied them up to a near ash tree. “Come here,” she said to Haile, motioning for him. She pointed at a patch of moss and signaled him to sit and wait for her. He nodded, and seated himself upon the somewhat wet moss. He cringed as he felt the liquid soak his buttocks, and squirmed slightly at the cold. She came back with wood; she placed it in the clearing and said, “Sao moc nee develori.” Fire erupted from her hands and she aimed it at the branches, causing them to burst into flames.

  “Magic,” Haile whispered, his eyes were wide like a child.

  Azre looked at him and said, “You can now remove your hood.” Both of them removed their hoods, Haile breathed a sigh of relief, and let his black locks fall in his face. He looked up at Azre with his sapphire eyes and smiled. Azre just looked back at him through bandaged covered eyes, her lips pursed.  “Get some sleep; the fire will keep the beasts away.”

  Haile nodded his head and laid down upon the moss, trying to find some comfort in it. Azre just sat down and leaned her back against the tree, her large sword by her side. Both closed their eyes, waiting for the new day.
© Copyright 2009 A.S.H (cycle898 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1592161-Insanity-Short-Story-4