*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1592968-The-Origami-Collection
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1592968
I was born in the year 3045, and this is how a collection of origami changed my life.
My name? Well, it used to be Rose. I was born in the Earth year 3045. I know it sounds impossible. However, it is true.

Several things in the future are far different. In order for my story to be clear, I must explain a few of these. First, we use a form of communication, and viewing that is called a halo, or Halo-graphic is similar to holographic or a 3-D rendering, communications and viewing devices. These can be prerecorded or they can be instant communications.

We live and travel in our ‘travel-cell’. These resemble a flying saucer on the outside. They are a metallic-gray color and shaped sort of like a Frisbee. That is where the resemblance ends. A human’s travel-cell, on the inside is much like an apartment. Our furniture adapts and changes as we wish it to, even disappearing into the sides of the room flat with the surface of the walls.

We do have windows. The view is often undesirable; ink black sky or strange glowing faces of the unknown masses milling about, so it is nice that we can switch these to display pictures instead of showing the outside scenery. They are made of translucent metal instead of glass.

Buildings in the future are also equipped with identification devices that announce to the resident any guests that visit, either aloud our mind to mind depending on the settings. Some of the sophisticated devices give advance notice to the resident. Our doors, slide into the side when we come close to them with the intention of going through. The outer doors to a travel-cell are keyed to the residents themselves, and can be controlled through voice commands or an override sequence by the authorities.

A travel-cell as I stated is a home and a vehicle. Normally we leave these docked on our own little properties and use other means of travel. For extended trips, we use the travel-cell, it becomes like a ‘mobile-home’. Upon arrival, we can dock at a temporary spaceport or we can pay extra for nicer locations. These often have extra amenities and events designed to make the stay more enjoyable.

One day, while I worked in the archives of the Intergalactic Phenomenon and Histories Company, our senior staff made a discovery of a shop. Several reports mention this shop. However, all previous investigations into the shop had failed. Every time they arrived at the alleged location, the shop was gone. Now, however they had an exact location from a ‘sure’ source. The shop was in the Keras sector, a section with the gravitational equivalent of Earth. For all the senior staff, this presented a problem of irresolvable measures. The non-human life forms could not function in that gravitational field and stay inconspicuous.

As they were about to close the files, one of them remembered me, the only human working for the company. Little did I know how this would affect my status or me. Within hours of their decision, I received a promotion to field investigator and given the assignment of my life.

Ancient Earth had always fascinated me and the chance to get out of the archives was one I could not pass-up. For weeks, I studied every report on this shop and all it entailed. Then I felt ready. The idea of getting away from my dull existence built inside of me with every halo I reviewed. I watched every history of Earthly buildings and design wondering exactly what I would find when I arrived. I turned my gravity-meter up to full-Earth-field inside my own travel-cell and practiced walking. It was tiring at first, though my body responded quickly. Within a few weeks, my muscle to fat ratio changed dramatically, leaving me more athletic looking and lean.

By that time, my trip was nearing its destination I was physically ready for the fieldwork to come. My travel-cell arrived and I paid for the resort location as close as possible to where I ultimately would investigate. I spent the first day becoming familiar with the area. It appeared to be a city from the early twentieth century of Earth. It was similar to halos I saw of Boston of that time. Humans milled about, more than I had seen together in my lifetime. The buildings built of brick, one right next to another astounded me. It was like stepping back in time.

I did finally locate the shop after I learned to navigate the masses. Upon my arrival, I marveled at the two large windows one either side of a single old-fashioned hinged door. In the windows hung beautiful sparkling crystals suspended from thin strands, connecting several in an array of patterns. The crystals reflected the light in a dazzling display of color.

I gingerly took the knob in my hand, turned and pulled the door open. When I opened the door, I heard the most amazing sound, the tinkling of bells. I was in love; this was a piece of heaven straight from the past. The sound of the bells was something I knew I would never grow tired of hearing.

Old-styled florescent bulbs brightly lit the inside of the shop. When my eyes adjusted, they met those of another distinctly human set of eyes. Then I noticed the eyes of a beautiful black cat. My heart leapt with joy at the discovery. We had thought that cats were extinct.

The human, was a female, just a little taller than was I. Her chestnut-brown hair hung just between her shoulder blades. Her brilliant blue eyes and light tan complexion, gave her a glowing appearance. She had a lean body and wore clothing styles that dated to the early twenty-first century. That consisted of jeans and an authentic looking cotton shirt.

“Hello, Rose, I’ve been expecting you. My name is Alice, and the cat is Cur. Why don’t you have a look around?”

“Thank you.” I looked at the odd assortment of items in the shop. The selections of items were from every time and place imaginable. Real silk flowers in bloom from the Canteker sector, a NASA patch from ancient Earth, a porcelain statue and many other items too numerous to name.

I continued browsing until a collection of origami captured my attention. There were three pieces: a frog, a swan and one that kept changing, folding and refolding itself. Each piece had a separate price and I could only afford two of them. Since I collect frog simulations, I had to get that one. The swan was elegant, so I decided to get that one as well. I knew that the company would have to have the third origami piece, so I decided to wait until my next halo conference with the senior staff.

As I stood considering how to tell the staff of the discovery, Cur rubbed against my legs and Alice came to stand beside me. “So Rose would you like to purchase them?”

“Oh yes, how do you touch something so delicate?”

“All you have to do is reach out to them. However, if you do get them they will change your life.”

I already felt like my life had changed when I walked through the door of the shop. I purchased the two stationary pieces and left for my travel-cell. I made an instant halo report. The interest in the senior staffs’ eyes could not be mistaken. They were elated at the discovery of the cat. One was skeptical of the ever-changing origami, though something about the composition of the pieces had convinced them that it would be worthwhile to purchase the last for further examination. I was to study the rest of the area and report, before returning to the shop in two weeks.

During those two weeks, I began to change. I didn’t notice at first, though after about a week I caught a glimpse of my reflection in a window. I looked taller, my hair seemed a little longer and the shade of my hair had taken on a subtle shine. I thought it was just gravity having an effect on me until one of the staff asked if I was enhancing my appearance for the halo conferences. When that conference was over, I noticed the swan was glowing, bringing to mind the story of the ‘Ugly Duckling’ and I laughed.

As the two weeks finally ended, the frog was glowing. I hoped whatever I was about to leap into would be good. I approached the shop, slowly this time, though all I really wanted to do was to run in the door as fast as I could. I looked above the door and saw an old-fashioned sign. It hung from two chains, suspended from an iron rod. The lettering on the sign was in black; it spelled out ‘The Curiosity Shop’. The two O’s were colored like cat’s eyes.

Anticipation crept over me and I could not wait another moment to open the door. Entering the shop was like coming home. The bells greeted me, as did Cur. He ran to me and before I could even think, I scooped him up into my arms like a long lost friend.

“Rose, I’m glad to see you came back.”

When I looked at Alice, it was like looking into a mirror. That only captured my attention for a moment as my mind was on the remaining piece of origami. I had to know if it was still here. “What will happen when I purchase this piece?” The answer was not what I expected.

“You will become Alice.”

“What will happen to you?”

“Oh, I’ll still be Alice.”

This was so confusing, and I quickly thought of running away. At the thought of leaving, a wave of despair hit me so hard I nearly wept. “I don’t understand,” I blubbered out.

“You will not be Rose, anymore though you will never forget that part of yourself.”

“I came here for answers, only to hear riddles?”

“All you need to do is reach out and grasp it. If you can.”

At this point, my little bit of patience had worn out. I shifted Cur to one arm, reached out, and took the piece in my hand. I felt light-headed as I set the cat and the piece down and completed my transaction.

“You see how easy that was.”

I picked up the piece thinking to depart when I fell to the floor. The next thing I knew, I woke in a bright room to the sound of several voices blending into one. I thought I was dead.

“You are Alice now. In the shop, time and place do not exist. Rose will return to the Intergalactic Phenomenon and Histories Company with her rather dull report of an antique shop. We give you a choice. You may leave now or stay for two years and then decide. The shop will not be a prison. However, if you stay, you should know that every time you go out the shop door you could be in a different time and place. No matter where you are, we will always make sure you are prepared, right down to the clothes you wear. If you choose to go back to being Rose again, it will be as if none of this ever happened.”

I guess most would have been scared. I, on the other hand just felt excited. “May I please, at least see who you are?”

“Of course my dear.”

Before I could even gape, five identical black cats came forward, followed by a huge sixth cat, the size of one of Earth’s panthers. The difference was they walked on two legs instead of all four. They introduced themselves in turn, Cur, Ios, Itys, Hop and then the largest with a distinctly feminine voice, Ali. If you put our names together correctly, you get Curiosity Shop. Ali is normally short for Alice.

I knew Ali was the leader, even though she spoke last. I sat for a moment in a stunned silence, until all at once a thousand questions entered my mind. The one that came out was, “Why do you need me?”

The sound of purring laughter permeated the air as the cats sat down in a more cat like pose. Ali came forward her green eyes locked onto my blue ones. “My dear, Alice can interact with humans on a level that we never could. They need our help more than you could ever imagine. That’s why we need you.”

Therefore, I became Alice, one of the many. Cur has stayed with me becoming a true friend. The other, Alices and I would sometimes end up in the same shop and those times each have a story of their own.

I stayed after my two years ended. How could I go back to being ‘Rose’ hidden away in the archives?

The origami frog glows whenever the shop changes locations. When the swan glows, it lets me know to expect a change in how I appear so when I look into the mirror, it’s not such a shock. I have been to so many strange places I could not even begin to tell you about all of them. The two of them usually glow close to the same time. I used to rush to the mirror every time I changed. Now though, I go about my routine checking briefly in a nearby mirror when I have the chance.

The ever-changing origami is back on display. Only an ‘Alice’ will purchase that piece. Now I sit watching and waiting for the next one to join us, for we are sorely needed.



Word count is 2,276
Written using the prompt 'Collection of Origami' for the 'The Curiosity Shop'.
This received honorable mention in the contest for August 2009
© Copyright 2009 rjsimonson (rjsimonson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1592968-The-Origami-Collection