*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1596563-Irezumi-Atriarch-Intro
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Other · Adult · #1596563
Irezumi - tattoo - Something I was born with...
Most people have tattoos imbedded in their skin with needles. Not many can say that when they were born a mark given to them by the gods that spread into a pattern of what some would call art. Others fate.

My tattoo is of snakes, koi and dragons twining with sakura flowers and branches. The design is relevant only to the fact of my month, day and year of birth.

I was born at the beginning of spring, during the flower veiwing festival, in the cusp of dragon and snake. The village I was born in was where the koi stay during the festival, on their way to their ancient home. I wasn't given a choice of destiny like most are, I was forced by the gods to be different. My mother always told me that the great sun goddess kissed my wrist while I was in her womb, that's why I had a flower shapped birthmark on the inside of my right wrist.

I didn't find out until I was seven that it was true. That Amateratsu had hand selected me as one of her atriarchs. A woman named Fujimo no Hikari came to collect me on my seventh birthday. She came because I had changed. My normal body temperature was 115 degrees. If I were normal, that would have killed me.

The summer of my seventh year, I found out why my body was so hot. During the obon I burst into flames. Searing my clothing and singing my hair. I haven't had it long since. And I haven't worn normal made clothing since either.

Unlike most girls my age I have never kissed a boy, never loved, and never been hurt by conventional means. Hikari-chan is my only family now. I haven't seen my mother, father, or sisters in ten years. I've never thought much about them. I'm sure they don't miss me. Who would miss someone like me? I am different, they can complete their lives without devine interferrence. I just wish I could.
© Copyright 2009 Kanashibari (kanashibari at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1596563-Irezumi-Atriarch-Intro