*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1598574-Vague-Signals
Rated: 13+ · Novella · Young Adult · #1598574
A long poetic description of a young man and a woman of similar age.
                                      SICARA
                                    CHAPTER 1

It was August 12th, first day of school in sixth grade for Sicara. The sun shone down with a ferocity that the moon could never mimic; sweat lightly beaded everyone's foreheads.
The summer heat was mild this year, and had held most of its' heat elsewhere, but not today. Sicara was hot in her green jacket, and she rushed past parents with their children lagging behind, into the air conditioned school. "Whew," she said in relief. She walked into her classroom, moderately cool now. "Good morning, Sicara," said her teacher Ms. Moore. "Good morning, Ms. Moore," Sicara signed her name on the line of the sheet of paper Ms. Moore and Mr. Gargell used to check attendance. "It's rather hot out, isn't it?"
Ms. Moore smiled and nodded, then drew her hand across her brow.
Sicara walked away into the other room their class used, and placed her backpack on the hook, then took out a heavy novel. "Hmmm." She sighed, looking at the book with resignation.
"Sicara! SICARA!" called Starr, her best friend. Zara, her other best friend, stood waiting beside Starr. "The other class librarians have called a meeting for renovating the library, and Ms. Moore said it was okay." Zara informed Sicara.
"Awesome," said Sicara numbly. Their library crew had been asking Ms. Moore for a time to have a meeting since last month. The crew consisted of Kaia; the popular tomboyish girl, Emilia; the bossy one and a friend-hogger, Benjamin; short and freckly, then Sicara herself, who had curly red hair, then Starr, being tall and having short dark hair, and  Zara; thin, and quiet, and brown. And Jonathon, she reminded herself. One of the head librarians, and the boy most coveted among all the older girls. But not me, she thought.
"I think we should head to the middle room, now, guys." Said Zara quietly.
The room around them had quieted after Ms. Moore had flashed the lights. They all walked into the little room that sat in the corner of the classroom.
Kaia was talking about the librarians needing to shelve books more often, because they were stacking up. Benjamin started teasing her for being such a nag.
Kaia started mocking Benjamin, as Jonathon went around putting books away and laughing at his friends.
Starr, Zara, and Sicara just sat there.
Sicara jumped as Jonathon asked, "Hey, do you mind helping me with these?"
"N-no."
"All right then, here, take these." He said.
Sicara looked at the bookshelves one by one, trying to find the shelf that began with the 'N's'. "Right here," said Jonathon's velvet voice. His finger tapped the shelf right next to Sicara. "Thanks." Sicara replied.
"No prob." He said, smiling. Sicara felt a queasiness in her stomach, as he looked at her. Just being friendly, Sicara thought, hurriedly.
© Copyright 2009 firehairedgoddess (tamaraq0 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1598574-Vague-Signals