*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1598954-Rebeccabased-on-the-novel-by-du-Maurier
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Coral
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Drama · #1598954
Rebecca's version of why Manderley burned.
Word Count: 831



I sat in front of the mirror, pondering my triumph. Of course it would have been impossible without Danny. Darling Danny. Frightened that poor girl out of her wits, I daresay, with her insidious and sinister demeanor. The girl that Max had married was naïve, shy. She had no idea of what Max was capable of, what he had done. But I did, and I had played him well…

He thought I was “vicious, damnable, rotten through and through…incapable of love, of tenderness, of decency” (271). Yet he was willing to live a lie, both before and after my death. Was he really that much better? I would admit that I am spirited, aggressive. I live—if that is an apt enough term—the way I want. We had an agreement: that he would let me do what I wanted, and I would make Manderley splendid, the talk of the town. And I did, but he would not leave me alone. No, Manderley’s name could not be dishonored. My frivolous ways would start gossip, and what would happen to Manderley’s reputation then? He still cares about Manderley more than anything or anyone; more than even his timid young wife. He would murder for the sake of protecting his land, his property.

Yet he did not divorce me. I came and went to London as I pleased, and I began to grow careless. The beach cottage was my sanctuary in Manderley, but Max would not allow it. One night, as I was waiting up for Jack, he came down to the cottage with a gun and tried to frighten me. He was infuriated. “‘You think you can treat my house and my home like your own sink in London. I’ve stood enough, but by God, Rebecca, this is your last chance’” (278). I smiled. I told him that he could never make his case in a divorce court, that if I had a child, no one would be able to prove that it wasn’t his. Wouldn’t that be the greatest joy of his life—“‘to watch my son grow bigger day by day, and to know that when [he] died, [Manderley] would be his?’” (279). “‘I’ll be the perfect mother, Max, like I’ve been the perfect wife. And none of them will ever guess, none of them will ever know’” (280).

That was when he shot me. He put me on my boat and let it sink. He covered up after himself thoroughly, but not thoroughly enough. My sailboat has always been properly named. Je Reviens: “I come back.” He had forgotten that I was mistress of Manderley, and that I always would be.

After that, Max lived in constant fear that my body would be found. Others believed that the loss of his beloved wife pained him beyond measure, but in truth, it was fear of me that tortured him. Sitting at the dressing table, I examined my reflection in the gilded mirror. The cloud of dark hair, pale face, dark eyes wide in laughter—it was the face that haunted Max still. How much playacting had been done in front of this mirror, because Max could not dishonor Manderley; he could not bear to lose it, yet lose it he must…

I wondered if they had found Baker yet, if Max had uncovered my last and greatest practical joke. Downstairs, the phone rang. Mrs. Danvers was speaking excitedly.

“That’s impossible, Jack! She never kept anything from me!”

Yes, Danny, I have secrets even from you, for though you are my only companion, my one devoted servant, I work alone. Danny hung up. I flounced to her and took her arm.

“It’ll be alright, Danny, you’ll see,” I whispered.

She might have noticed something unusual, for she jumped, startled.

“Yes, Danny, I am here. I will always be here. But you must leave. Manderley is safe for no one else.”

As if she could hear me, Danny came back a short time later with her bags already packed. As Frith entered the hall, she stopped him.

“I am leaving,” she told Frith mechanically. How I love that deadpan tone of hers.

“You’re resigning?” Frith asked, a look of surprise on his normally impassive face.

“It seems that Mr. de Winter will no longer be requiring my services. I am sure that Mrs. de Winter will manage quite well by herself.” I laughed. My Danny had never spoken a truer word. I had always managed everything, and I should be quite content to do so at Manderley once again.

Frith was silent, accepting her resignation in puzzled acquiescence. The obedient dog, as always. It’s no surprise that he and Jasper get along so well. Mrs. Danvers swept across the room, and I watched her car leave until it was nothing but a brown speck.

The loss of the servants is a sacrifice for the greater good. In the west wing once more, I exultantly light the match…Manderley will soon be no more.



Word Count: 831
© Copyright 2009 Coral (sharx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1598954-Rebeccabased-on-the-novel-by-du-Maurier