*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1599887-dark-and-depressed
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1599887
a drunk and depressed woman...
She sat on her bed in her nylon nightie depressed and drunk, thinking of her miserable life, the man she thought loved her left, leaving her with a six year old daughter that reminded her of him every time she looked at the child. She lit a cigarette and took a long intake of the smoke and relaxed more into her bed taking her last sip of her sherry before she passed out, cigarette still lit in hand.
It was getting hotter and hotter. She was sweating, her face like she just had a shower. She could feel her body getting hot but she still didn’t wake. The heat got more intense, and she could feel her skin burning. She opened her eyes and found her bed covered in flames and her nightie crackled and hissed as the fire jumped onto her. She leaped out of her bed and threw herself on the floor and rolled, trying to put out the flames that burned her. She made no sound; she saw no reason to scream in pain, she has become used to pain. She didn’t want to wake the girl across the hall. She didn’t want to hear her six year old daughter give HER a lecture on smoking in bed. Once the fire was out on her, she ran to the kitchen, opened the fridge and grabbed a jug of water. Running back she almost fell over what she thought was an old sherry bottle, but it turned out that it was still half full. She stopped and grabbed it. She continued to her room and threw the jug all over her bed, making the fire go out and her bed steam. She sighed deeply and went to her bathroom.
She stood, looking at herself in her mirror. Her skin was red and there was blood coming out of a wound on her leg. She knew she would have scars for the rest of her life. She couldn’t face herself anymore. She went back into her room and sat on the floor looking at the door that led into the hallway and then into the girls room. Oh how she hated it when her daughter was always right. She loathed her daughter at times, how she always thought she was better, with her perfect grades, perfect friends, perfect looks and her ability to be perfect at everything. She took hold of her sherry once again and started drinking in the dark, not bothering to call an ambulance for her injuries.
© Copyright 2009 red14lilli (red14lilli at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1599887-dark-and-depressed