*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1605710-The-Awakening
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Fantasy · #1605710
Kirra meets her savior and begins a new life.
My brain screamed as it was gripped by an invisible force. I squeezed my eyes tight in pain as I came to, gasping to bring air into my body to relieve the tension that threatened to incapacitate me. Last night’s events slammed into my head, brief clips threading together to bring me to reality. My eyes pooled with tears because Nikaii probably didn’t survive the night and because I can’t believe I made it.
I turned over, expecting to still be on the ground. My body froze as I found myself in an unfamiliar room. I stared up at a midnight blue ceiling and out of curiosity, I examined the rest of the room. Somehow I have ended up in a bedroom, furnished with exotic window drapes and rich tapestries with animals crouched to leap from the threads.
I took in account my physical condition. Moving aggravated my right side and lying on my back hurt the cuts and scrapes. Despite being responsible for practically killing me, I could kiss that mountain given the opportunity. My fall down it had guaranteed my freedom.
A white bandage was wrapped around my torso and chest, minimizing my ability to move. I could smell the cold, tingly salve that was sunk into my back and hands. My bandaged hands run down the tightly wound bandages, stopping to pick at a frayed edge.
The urge to know if I was safe overrode my desire to sleep. I moved to the side of the large feather bed, hissing at the pain. My rib cage and back were stabbed with pain each time I drew in a breath. I was sluggishly sore and each step took a monumental effort as I left the bed. I felt more drained than I had in my prison captivity as I moved to the window and pulled the golden curtains along their gold rods to the side. With a grunt, I forced open the shutters and was rewarded with a fresh breeze. I stared out at a small pond, the setting sun dancing like fire over the water, and lowered myself onto the window seat.
The warm evening air caressed my face and I closed my eyes to relish in the soft warmth of the sun. I turned and examined the room from a new angle and found clothes resting on a chair.
My heart leapt with joy as I grabbed the clothes and undergarments lying on the chair and held them to my face, inhaling a scent of lavender and vanilla. I smiled at this precious gift and set the folded clothes on the bed. My ceremonial gown had been reduced to shreds, if I could even call it that, and I was grateful to remove it. It fell to the floor with a sickening plop and I kicked it to the side for good measure before I dressed in the new clothes.
I stared down at the black fabric that covered my skeletal body and kicked my bruised legs. The pant legs pooled on the floor and the shirt hung on my frame. Despite the poor fit, I felt human again. I couldn’t resist and gather the tattered gown in my hands as I moved towards the open window. I extended my arms as the wind brushed my skin, whispering promises of freedom of pain. I stared down at the disgusting evidence of my demoralization as I turned the soiled red garment. My fingers rubbed over the last bit of gold stitching to remain.
Fina bent her head down and began to finish my garment, the gold thread etching flames into the red fabric.
A terrible emptiness settled in my chest. I longed to know what happened to the rest of my village, especially my best friend Fina. Was she still alive? She had helped stitch my gown’s intricate threaded details. I closed my eyes and blew flames until the gown burned in my hands. The flames licked at my fingers but I felt no pain, I was one with the flames. I held every last scrap of the garment until my prison uniform was reduced to ashes. Then I watch, with feelings of satisfaction and a pang of guilt mixing together, as the wind carried away the last symbol of my torment.
I watched until I could see the ashes no more in the setting sun. Footsteps stopped outside my room, a shadow blocked out the hallway light that filters in under the door.
I yanked the curtains across the rod and moved to the side of the door, where I expected it would swing inwards. I wanted to see the person before they could notice me. As the doorknob turned, I cursed myself for burning the gown; the smell was a surefire way to prove I was awake. My heart quickened, pushing to escape with each beat, and my mouth dried as I nervously flexed my fingers.
The door knob turned and the door creaked open towards me. I held my breath as the figure approached the bed, polished boots clicking on the wood floor. As soon as the figure was close enough to the bed, I jumped from the corner and threw my body against the person. We both fell onto the mattress. Instinctively, I grabbed for the belt to find a weapon and was rewarded with a small knife. I grabbed it and held it at a man’s throat, breathing heavily from the adrenaline. “Who are you?” I asked in a steady, low voice. My right side screamed with protest as I bent over him, and my eyes watered with the pain.
I sensed his hands move and before I knew it, I was the one on my back with the knife at my throat. “I could ask you the same question,” said the figure beneath me. His weight pressed down on my right side and I screamed in pain. Lightning bolts shot up my side. They burned like ice. He backed off me in confusion but the pain wouldn’t stop.
“Gabriel!” a female voice shouted over my screams. I felt the shirt being lifted from my chest as rivers of tears fell down my face.
“She had the knife on me! I don’t know who she is!” protested Gabriel.
“Of course she had the knife on you; you came in here without warning!” I opened my watery eyes to see a woman standing over me. Her hand pressed a cool cloth on my sweating forehead. “You’ve got to stop screaming, it won’t help the pain.”
“You failed to mention a woman in my bed, Maliah.” He snapped defensively.
“I did not know you were home, Gabriel.” She snapped back.
My screaming faded into a whimper as I lay on my back with stars swimming above my eyes. The pain was extreme, but I took her advice and the pain started to dissipate with slow, careful breathing. Her hands provided gentle pressure on my ribs as I breathed. Her face frowned as she placed something under my right side for support.
“Gabriel, give us space please.” I heard footsteps grow fainter as I closed my eyes. “That’s it, you’re doing good.” Her hands smoothed my face again. “I know it’s going to hurt, but I need you to cough, dear.”
“Why?” I wheezed.
“We have to make sure no fluid builds in your lungs. That would make you sick.” I coughed and felt a stab of pain in my side.
“Ah!” I hissed before I turned my head and spat blood onto the floor. “Is it broken?” My nerves tensed with fear as I awaited her answer.
“The physician came while you were asleep and bandaged your wounds. He said it was only fractured, but you need plenty of bed rest.”
“How long have I been asleep?”
“Five days, in and out of consciousness. You muttered quite often but never were fully awake.” I contemplated this. Five days of freedom wasted lying in a bed because of injuries. “Try to cough a couple of more times.”
I obeyed, although my body protested. “How did I get here?”
Maliah sat on the edge of the bed and my eyes adjusted to the new light. Someone had opened the curtains and fresh moonlight pooled on the floor. She had large, brown eyes, and a plump figure dressed in clothes similar to mine. “A farmer found you at the bottom of the steep ravine, not too far from here.” She pulled my shirt down and tucked the blanket around me.
“Where is here, exactly?”
“North of the Summer Council. We didn’t know if you would pull through,” she said, her eyes finding mine before she pulled a box of matches from her pocket and lit the candle at the bedside table. A soft golden glow grew in the room.
“Well, here I am.” I muttered as my head turned towards the comforting flame of the candle. I matched the quality of the bedroom furnishings to the clothing Gabriel wore and calculated him to be wealthy, possibly someone who worked for the Summer Council.
“Are you hungry, dear?” she asked as she patted my hand, bringing me out of my thoughts. I had a strong hunch that she had already asked me that question while I had been in a thinking. “You’re going to need to eat to get stronger.”
I don’t have an appetite after being squashed by Gabriel, but I nod. She was right.
“I’ll be right back,” she said with a warm smile as she stood from the bed and walked out into the hall. As I waited for her return with food, I took in slow, deep breaths. The pain started to dissipate with the occasional jab in my nerves.
She returned with water, a bowl of soup and a small piece of bread. I reached for the water and drained it. A moment passed before I instantly regretted it. I rolled to the side of the bed and dropped the pewter mug onto the wood floor. Maliah threw a bowl under my head and I retched into it. She placed a cool compress onto my forehead and a supportive hand on my shoulder until I was done. I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand and looked up to see her kneeling by me. She lifted the compress from my head as I rolled onto my back. “One step at a time,” she said as she helped me sit up in bed. She lay the tray across my lap.
© Copyright 2009 Britney (britneyjean at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1605710-The-Awakening