*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1606955-Croatia-Politics
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Political · #1606955
2 page essay on the politics of Croatia. ROUGH DRAFT!!!
Croatia has a long history influenced by the many countries and cultures that surround it. Even with a history that dates back to 35 B.C., Croatia spent most of its history conquered by other countries including Turkey, Italy, Yugoslavia, and Bosnia. Croatia declared itself sovereign in 1990, but was not recognized as an independent state by the European community until January 15, 1992. The constitution makes the new Republic of Croatia a parliamentary democracy. By becoming a parliamentary democratic government, Croatia has enjoyed stability of government, and a long standing peace with its neighbors.

Croatia designated a new constitution on December 22, 1990, and ratified that constitution three times since its adoption. “The highest values of the constitutional order are: freedom, equal rights, national equality, peace, social justice, respect for human rights, inviolability of ownership, conservation of nature and the human environment, and the rule of law and a democratic multi-party system. (CARNet, 2009).” This new constitution gave freedoms to the people that they never had enjoyed. They have freedom to a democratic vote. The city governments have the freedom to deal with local education, health issues, development of business and residential areas, environmental protection, and local culture without interference from the Government.

The government of Croatia is divided into three branches. The Parliament, the President of the Republic, and the judicial branch consisting of the Constitutional Courts. All branches of the government protect the new constitution, and protect the rights of the citizens of Croatia. Each government official is elected by secret ballot by legal citizens over age 18, with the exception of the judges who are appointed by the Judiciary Council.

There have only been two presidents in the history of Croatia. Franjo Tudman, the first ever president, and Stjepan Masic, the second and current president. The president oversees all military affairs including the right to relieve commanders of their duty, and declare war. He is responsible for all foreign diplomatic affairs, and foreign policy. The president also has the right to dissolve the parliament if they do not pass a vote of confidence, or balance the budget within three months of the proposed date.

The Prime Minister, currently Jadranka Kosor, leads the Parliament. The parliament’s job is not unlike the House and Senate in the United States. They are responsible for protecting the constitution, making laws, balancing the budget, national security, international affairs, and secret service. The parliament is also responsible for appointing the judges to the Constitutional Court.

Judges serve an eight-year term. The Supreme Court officials serve five years, but when renewed they are considered permanent until the age of 70. Judges receive the same immunity as the parliament. The State Judicial Council has the power to relieve a judge of office, and can only do so for criminal offences or if asked by the judge to do so.

Since the independence of Croatia, there has been increased stability of the governmental structure, and the country has enjoyed a long sought after peace. The newly developed government, and peace with surrounding countries does come at a price to the citizens of Croatia. It is “one of the most highly taxed countries of Central Europe (Advameg, 2008).” High taxes have hurt local citizens, but the stability of the Croatian government has never been better in its entire history.

References

Advameg Inc. (2008). Croatia: Politics, government, and taxation. Retrieved October 5, 2009. http://www.nationasencyclopedia.com
CARNet & Department of Telecommunications, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University of Zagreb. (2009). Croatian Home Page. Retrieved October 5, 2009. http://www.hr



© Copyright 2009 Jeanette (babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1606955-Croatia-Politics