*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1606958-Variety-of-Food-in-Croatia
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Food/Cooking · #1606958
Essay on the variety of food and wine in Croatia. ROUGH DRAFT!!!
If there was a swear word in Croatian cuisine, it would be the word canned. The food in Croatia is always prepared fresh. Because of the long history of war and close neighbors, dishes in Croatia vary from region to region, all with influences from surrounding countries, cultures, and religions. A variety of fresh food, and wine is an every day part of Croatian culture.

Croatian cuisine varies with region. The costal regions enjoy a vast variety of fresh fish. The Adriatic Sea contains over 400 species of fish, oysters, mussels, date-shells, squid, and scampi. These many species are all used in Croatian dishes. A variety of sea food meals are boiled with fresh vegetables and spices, or grilled over wood. Though most meals are cooked simple, they are exceptional in taste and meticulously made. Along the sea, the style of cooking is often called the Mediterranean Croatia. Common dishes in the costal region are raznici, cevapcici, plejskavica, stuffed peppers called punjene paprika, and stuffed cabbage called sarma.

In the inner regions, hearty meals made with wild asparagus, onions, garlic, fresh spices and herbs, cabbage, locally made olive oil, wild mushrooms, sausage, pork, and especially lamb. Tables are filled with food for each meal. Often meals are simple meat, salad, and side dishes. Fried goat cheese is also treasured in the Continental regions. Favored meals include Shepard’s stew, kulen, kulenova, and seka.

Lamb is a favorite dish of Croatians, and prepared many different ways. Local restaurants grill lamb in the open to attract patrons. The prices of eating are inexpensive, and children are welcome in every restaurant. “For a family of four each having a pizza plus a drink, the bill won’t come to more than 20€ (The Gastronomy of Croatia, Dalmatian Coast, 2004).” Most restaurants are made with fresh foods, and are delis, bakeries, and café’s. Fast food establishments are looked down upon, though McDonalds is present, since they do not provide fresh foods.

Depending on religious beliefs, holidays are a special treat for Croatians. They use these special occasions to have a feast. The coast, mainly Roman Catholic, enjoy dried cod soup on Christmas eve, and Dalmatian pot roast, stuffed cabbage, raisin doughnuts, krostuli ( a type of Christms doughnut), and dried figs and nuts. The northerners fast on Christmas eve eating only plain bread till evening when beans, sauerkraut and oinions fried in oil. “Christmas Day lunch is a three-course meal composed of cold meats, turkey and walnut and poppy seed rolls. Dinner is more elaborate and starts with a clear soup with fresh noodles. Next comes a spit-roasted suckling pig, a goose or turkey accompanied by the traditional strukli (Christmas in Croatia, Michele Serre, 2009).” Desert is plentiful also with cookies, cakes, strudels, and more.

Because grapes are plentiful in Croatia, so is wine and wineries. Croatia has more than 300 wine regions. Wines are served with every meal and in every restaurant. The variety of the wines shows the diversity of the culture from the long history and surrounding neighbors. Amoung the 300 plus regions, white, red, rose and desert wines are made. Croatian wines are becoming increasingly popular because, “Even the region’s drinking water… is a specialty… mixed with wine to create Bevenda (The Gastronomy of Croatia, Dalmatian Coast, 2004).”

The long history of Croatia has contributed to it vast variety of food dishes, and wine. With freshness taken very seriously, Croatian culture has incorporated this need in their every day life.


References

The Gastronomy of Croatia. 2004. Dalmatian Coast. Retrieved at October 5, 2009 from http://www.dalmatiancoast.com/holidays/gastronomy/html

Christmas in Croatia. 2009. Michele Serre, Editor. Retrieved on October 5, 2009 from http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/traditions/christmas-recipes/christmas-croati...
© Copyright 2009 Jeanette (babygirl328 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1606958-Variety-of-Food-in-Croatia