*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608081-Chapter-One-Part-One
by Vaan
Rated: ASR · Chapter · Experience · #1608081
Vaan. He searches for his own path in a predetermined life. But... Just who is he?
A few words you might want to know how to pronounce:
Vaan; like V-aw-n. Similar spellings: "Vaughn," or "Von"
Elcaenen; like El-cay-nen

                                                              Chapter One




Shafts of sunlight trickled in through the soft jade foliage, glittering off the rippling surface of the inner courtyards fountain, which was an entire story high and caste from pure silver into the form of three war horse; their hooves striking out at one another wildly, faces screaming with rage and fear of  each other. Along the beasts necks, and at their rears, were numerous finger sized holes from which the pristine water spewed-creating the illusion of a flowing mane as the liquid fell in walls of shimmering light, cascading down into the rippling crescent pool below like calming music. Petals floated on the surface like tiny boats on the rivers current, fallen from the flowering trees coloring the world around, their soft hues reflected on the metallic surface of the cavalry. 
         In my m ind it represented well the sad struggle between human beings; fear of one another drives them to such extremities. They attack without proper motive and kill in the name of 'justice,' while the rich steal from the poor and the poor from one another, ignore those who need even the basics. Fear drives them to such extremities-that and greed.
         What a sad place this world can be.
         Yet whoever meticulously sculpted this probably had no such thought in mind when creating it, especially as it was a reminder of the war which ended almost seventeen years ago-not an insight to the human mind. But everyone will interrupt things differently. That is part of the conflict.

         I sighed, allowing my eyes to drift upwards as I leaned back into the trunk, shifting myself into a more comfortable position. Above the thick branches and beyond the blue ocean, clouds tainted a golden red were grabbed tenderly by the suns' extending fingers as it tried to pull its' self away from the ending cycle, like a child resists bed time.
         Its' concluding warmth fell upon my features, highlighting my fine jaw line and casting a shadow across the greater portion of my placid face.
         Yet the world took little notice of the struggle, content to go about with their daily routines while evening descended around them-chasing those children home to where they would break bread with their families. At some point during that time candles would eventually spark to life-thousands of tiny flames visible even from the distance, each having their own story behind their lonely windows...
         Everyone of these people who came together every night to share their days tales with one another lived in a truly unique place where the world seemed to meet, almost as if it were the seam I suppose. First and foremost was the forests from the west which collided head on into the city, sweeping their tall trunks around to the east, coddling the palace pressed against the cliffs high above the climbing city. But beyond the defensive cliff, north of the metropolis, loomed the mountains; their snowy peeks often slicing thick clouds to part around their sharp edges, they themselves looking down upon the the desert and the prairie whose fingers were interlocked, stretching southern ward and dancing in the heat of the sun as they wove apart their own way.
         We called it Elcaenen; boarder between lands.

         The people here had everything they needed in order to live a comfortable life, for the city was unquestionably the richest in the kingdom. Aside from the merchants who came from far and wide to try and make their fortune here, the bazaars were always jammed full of vendors selling everything from  tools forged from mountain ore, to colorful veils playfully woven from the forests fibers. Then there were wealthy tailors and prized glass workers, who used the deserts sand to create magnificent stained glass mosaics for both enormous windows in the palace and the tiniest of details on glass rings. Amidst of all the busyness were the prosperous boutique, their shinny windows exhibiting beautiful possessions such as ball gowns. Gowns nobles seemed extremely fond of flaunting about-for what reason I can't understand.
         It was a comfortable life for most, despite the city having its poorer population accumulated far from the Nobles' keeps, which were spaced around the Palace.

         I remember several years ago, having spent the day watching the activities by the river docks, strolling home as the sun was almost done setting, preoccupied by my own thoughts when laughter and a flicker of movement suddenly stopped me. It wasn't uncommon to see children in dirty rags running about; on the other hand watching their tiny bodies disappear into the trees as they chased one another, their laughter filling the air, was not normal. The problem was that children weren't often out at this hour, and even orphans rarely strayed into the forest at dusk-which was why I was concerned. Discretely following behind they unknowingly lead me through the forest while bounding around happily. After a while they came to this tiny village-high up in the trees.
         The entire system of winding bridges circling up the trunks and fraying ropes connecting several of the giants together seemed simply extensions of the reddish brown trunks, their rich ceder smell clinging to the occupants living among the long needles dancing in the crisp wind. And it was beautiful. Simple. Rustic. Honest. And beautiful.
         After befriending them I later learned that my father had been a key factor in bringing this place to life...
         To them, it was home-freedom from the cruel world they still connected themselves with. To me, it was the discovery of this incredibly unique world I no knowledge of prior, though even more importantly, it was a glance into a part of my past I would never know.
         That beautiful forest which stretched well above themselves sheltered this place of peace and safety, filling the thick gap of the crescent nook between the sheer cliff and the Palace walls. Unless you knew the path it was impossible to find if you were looking for it.
         He had kept it a complete secret-even from the officials; no way would he let those cowards find these innocent people who had done nothing wrong. They had no money to pay taxes. Sooner or later the officials would have come against command and they would all have ended up hanging from the gallows. Thankfully that fear has long been erased from their minds and their children have a future.
         It was a safe haven for us both.

         Despite all this wealth within the city walls there was one thing missing and it was the most important of them all. It lacked something that doesn't even have a proper name I don't think... There was  happiness and some form of contentment yes, and some sadness in individuals, some joy in others as well-but too many were just there. It seemed... bland of emotion. As if this merely existed… Like me.
         Our capital was a mess. Its streets were clean, well kept and orderly, though under the beauty and behind the magnificent closed doors it was in ruin. And even though I had a good life, inside my heart I was dead-killed off by lack of I don't know what. I breathe and yet I am dead.          How did that make sense?

         Sighing I lowered my gaze, cracking my neck from side to side without much thought while trying to forget these things.
         One day, things would better-I would make sure of that.

         A silhouetted figure fumbled about against the golden back drop, hands cupped to their round face, voice droning on, “... I'm getting too old to play hide and seek like this, and you tend to play it far too often for someone your age...!” The womans' eyes were soft despite her annoyance and though her tone was firm and tired it wasn't harsh like too many others. I rolled my eyes at her none the less, perturbed by the disturbance to the peace.
         Sighing, "Oh for crying out loud Vaan...! Look, I know you can hear me and I know that opening your mouth to make a sound isn't that difficult! So I can't understand why you refuse to answer after all this time...! Haven't you been out long enough yet?!" She flicked a strand of hair from her sweating face, other hand resting on her hip as she caste another agitated glance around, "Okay, how about this; if you come back now I'll let it slid this time alright? But just this once!" She huffed again after several seconds when I didn't respond, balling her tiny hands into frustrated fists, “Ooh...! You've put me beyond the fence this time, young man!”
         Honestly I disagreed; sometimes talking was the hardest thing of all. It was as if it took more energy than anything else. I was tempted to tell her exactly that sometime, but would have been playing right into her hands, and I wasn't quite that stupid. Instead my eyes wandered over our surroundings, taking in everything as they had done so often through the long years, memorizing the grounds once more.
         My thoughts wandered again, eyes dipping as I fought sleep-having had issues sleeping lately.
         There is this one recurring nightmare which troubles my sleep; in it I'm reaching for someone who has fallen into this small square in a world of white. Beyond the square is a dark, color splattered abyss lit with starlight, and yawning away endlessly. Yet regardless my efforts I can never quite grab their reaching hand-always just out of reach, just a tad too late. Yet regardless my efforts I can never quite grab their reaching hand-always just out of reach, just a tad too late. Then suddenly, as soon as I think I've lost them, demon claws latch onto my arm, yanking me into the abyss before I even have the chance to resist. Their face smirks dangerously from inside the small, flat gap of light against the starlit sky, faces shrouded in the shadows that I may never know them. I had risked myself to save someone I called friend only to be betrayed and left behind, falling into the starry abyss alone.
         It was always far too real, yet reality didn't feel real at all. It was as if the dream was genuine and the world I walked in the impostor. When I woke it was odd; as if I had never really woken at all even though the floor was solid under my feet and the air cold to my skin.
         Every child grows up with a nightmare-that one demon which haunts them. They are continuously placed in the same nightmare time and time again as that same feeble child... Cruel yes, but if there is any hope for that individual they need to conquer their demons and face those fears-something which brings out amazing strength hidden inside even the most cowardly person.          Yet how could I face something I didn't understand?

         I let my eyelids slid upwards a touch, gaze lowered as I watched nothing, the memories fading.
         A sapphire creature fluttered into my view momentarily, catching my attention on its wayward path as if nothing in the world would ever harm it. The butterfly landed tenderly on the soft pink petals belonging to a cherry blossom, a group of small birds perched nearby with their little feet clinging to thin branches. They squabbled among them selves, flapping their wings in annoyance with one another though took little notice of the small, innocent creature.
         It flitted out of sight, like the sweet memories had fled from my past.

         Suddenly I flattened myself against the trunk while trying to blend in with the surroundings, birds scattered in every direction-startled by the sudden movement both near and below.
         She scampered by quickly, showing no sign of having noticed me nor the birds I had been so sure had given me away. Relief washed over me and I allowed myself a quiet sigh, pulling myself into a standing position on the trees sturdy arm where I relaxed into the trunk once more, a simple smile touching the corners of my lips momentarily as I looked down at my brightly colored shirt.
         “Heh-guess I don't exactly blend in with the plants...” I mused quietly, eyes following her as she checked some neatly trimmed hedges with a gentle prodding of the foot.
         The thought of returning to my teaching while I still could crossed my mind briefly, the faintest touch on the far reaches of my mind. But I wasn't ready to leave yet; I wanted to watch the sun set fully and see the first stars appear again if it were possible. Class could wait 'till tomorrow.
         Ironically, vanishing from my various lessons was ridiculously simple, and yet next to impossible to reappear in a similar manor without notice. All that studying seemed completely pointless; where would I use such information anyways? Quantum physics and advanced math, right into detailed politics-bleck. Though I knew it was all necessary if I was to become what the world wanted me to be-what I fought against so profusely... What an annoyance that was.
         Acceptance of those facts was hard to swallow; I shrank from many of those duties, denying some of my responsibilities related with them and instead filling my mind with false hopes and dreams.
         At least it gave me a sense that I was in control of my own destiny, despite its' false hood.
         Loosing myself in my own world, where I could escape reality and drown myself in both thought and reminiscences was actually quite pleasant-if distressing to those responsible for me. Often I disappeared quite suddenly, causing a panic inside as I found myself a nice piece of shade where I could lay back and close my eyes, enjoying the fresh wind caressing my face, or the cool rain pelting against my back. Time seemed a trivial thing in such a state of mind.
         Although, because of my wandering mind and comfort within these walls my guard soon fell, and in turn it took only manner of time before my new hiding place became known. I would have concealed myself better had I the ambition, for I could easily have gone out into the forest and hidden away there for as long as I liked. And when frustration pounded inside my head like a hammer on a drum, I was often tempted to do just that.
         Just... I suppose I chose not to.


(end 1/2-chapter one. continued in 2/2)
Authors Note: There are several things I feel don't sound quite right, or don't flow into one another like I would. I waited until now to mention it because i want to know if you pickedup on them, or if they stuck out to you.
© Copyright 2009 Vaan (lucky-xiii at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608081-Chapter-One-Part-One