*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608388-New-Dawn
by Dee
Rated: E · Other · Emotional · #1608388
Describes the writers feelings on eviction of IDP's in Kenya.
My friend Natasha says that if i want to move on i have to learn to forgive and forget the past. I tell her its not as easy as she says and she nods in understanding. I woke up today morning looked out the window and i wished it was all a dream. I wanted to just loose myself in the dream world and forget that reality exists. This is the world i have to wake in everyday; Today the internally displaced people were evicted from the camps they have resided in for two years. Most had a place to go but some just stood there weeping as the seurity personnel tore down their tents and evicted them from the place they had learnt to call home. The wounds they have nursed for close to two years still fresh in their minds,they have to relieve the horror as they go back to the places where they watched their loved ones slaughtered in cold blood. They have to go back and talk to the people who they once thought their neighbours but who at the height of the post election violence turned on them, looted their property, burnt their houses and came wielding weapons.

Its a difficult world and no one said that it was going to be easy but these people have been to hell and back, why does it have to be this way? When will my country men learn to live in peace with each other, to learn that diversity is not a curse but a gift and things can work out if only we take time to listen to each other, to acept each other.

My friend Natasha is right, i have to forgive and forget, but for how long can we keep this up, acting like everything is ok when deep down we know its not. It is time we Africans stood up for what is right; Showed the world that we can uphold the virtues our ancestors taught us those of forgiveness,unity,love and respect of each other; the value of living as one. Together we stand, divided we fall.
© Copyright 2009 Dee (teniola at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608388-New-Dawn