*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1611584-Spooky-People
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1611584
Congress getting stuff done. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.


The prompts: This story must contain the words:Jack O'Lantern, sheet, trick

Spooky People

Congress was rapidly growing weary of trying to solve the health care issue. By general consensus, they decided to table the matter for a few days in hopes that it would simply go away. This was more of a well proven tactic than some neat trick.

New important issues quickly filled the docket.

“The floor recognizes the gentleman from Illinois.”

“Madam Chair, I would like to propose that the Jack O’Lantern be made the national fruit.”

There were nods of approval throughout the room. After months of accomplishing nothing, it seemed as it they were going to start getting things done. Unfortunately, the senator from New Mexico had majored in food groups with a subspecialty in holiday related consumables. He stood and raised an objection.

“Madam Chair, I object on the grounds that the Jack O’Lantern is not a fruit.”

Gasps of indignation filled the room. How dare this young upstart use facts to interrupt the theater of pretend legislation.

The Chair gaveled the room quiet. “Are you saying that the Jack O’Lantern is a vegetable?”

“No Madam Chair. I’m saying it’s a pumpkin with a face carved into it.”

Several eyebrows raised in new found appreciation. The young man had a point.

“Well put. Let’s move on. What is next on the docket? Yes, the chair recognizes the gentleman from Ohio.”

“Madam Chair, I propose that brownies be reclassified by the FDA as chocolate sheet cake bits. After all, Brownies look like a sheet cake before you cut them up.”

Several members stood up quickly to applaud such a bold idea. The enthusiasm was infectious and soon everyone was standing and cheering. The motion was passed by a landslide.

They broke for lunch amidst much back slapping and high fives. Things were finally getting done in Washington.

Word count 298
© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1611584-Spooky-People