*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612733-The-Blackness
Rated: E · Short Story · Dark · #1612733
Are you afraid of the dark?
Written for contest-restricted to 200 words

The Blackness

She sat at her desk futilely attempting to write. “I can’t write scary; I just can’t,” she said to no one but herself. Moonlight seeped through the window’s panes, illuminating a small part of the tiny room.
Suddenly the desk light went dark, throwing the room into blackness. She reached for the switch and flicked it but nothing.
A sudden movement in the darkened corner caught her eye, causing her heart to race. She looked but saw nothing, only darkness moving within darkness, an unnatural sight. As her eyes tried to focus on the movement, she heard a child’s laughter, a giggle. A cold sweat trickled down the back of her neck. The sound was coming closer, she thought to herself. In the moonlight’s glow, a translucent figure emerged from the blackness. A child stood before the now panicking would-be writer.
“…what…who…,” she stammered, searching for words that would never come.
“You can write about me,” the child said with a sly smile on her faded face.

Word Count 167
© Copyright 2009 peacock22 (darlenespanel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612733-The-Blackness