*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621477-A-Tight-Knit-Family
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1621477
A dark comedy about a loving mother & her family...heehee
A Tight Knit Family

It was a crisp Ohio day that he knew would change his life forever. John and his new bride, Margot, had eloped just hours before and were now speeding through the mid-western countryside to his parent’s house for a surprise visit. The truth of the matter was that no one in John’s family even knew of Margot. She wasn’t exactly their type of person and he was afraid how they would react. While he loved and adored her, he was no one’s fool. He knew that Margot could get on anyone’s last nerve. With the radio on, John got lost in his thoughts, mainly one thought…would they accept her. They don’t even have to like her, just accept her. He was so desperate for their approval but he needed his new bride’s as well. He was snatched away from his thoughts by Margot’s incessant complaining, always in a whining tone and always demanding. He just realized how she never asked him for anything, she told him. But he still loved her. He turned down the radio to ask her what she had said.

“How do you people live out here? I mean, really! Do you smell that? It smells like horse crap!”
“That’s because it is horse crap. Anyway, you get used to it. I love it out here. To me, there’s nothing better. Wait ’til tonight, with the stars and fireflies. It’s great!” He couldn’t hide his happiness to be home.
“Well, you stay outside with your bugs and horse crap. I’ll stay inside with the television or a book,” she said with resentment dripping in her voice.

All John could think was “who are you kidding…a book?” The wind whipped through John and Margot’s hair, angering her. She wanted to put on her best appearances for the Mitchells. That was what Margot did best-put on appearances. She was never truly what she seemed and always put on airs. Even as they pulled into the small town that he held so near and dear to his heart, his new bride was not impressed. “This is it? Are you kidding me?” He just bit his lip and kept driving because he knew that very soon he would be where he was happiest-his parent’s house…home.

They came around a bend in the road, scattering the orange and red leaves, and quickly turned left onto a dirt driveway. Seeing the large metal mailbox had the name ‘Mitchell’ stenciled in black on the side, Margot sat up tall in her seat and reapplied her pink lipstick and checked her hair. She had to look just right. Finally, the car came to a stop at the end of the long drive in front of a lovely white two-story house. It was a traditional home with a black front door and shutters and a lush green lawn outlined in a white picket fence. The dusty old driveway did not match at all the adorable home. It wasn’t glamorous by any means, just beautiful in it’s simplicity, decorated with peonies, roses, petunias and pansies.

“Oh, this is sweet. From that driveway, I was expecting a rundown shack!”
“Well, mom and dad like to keep the house off the road a distance for privacy. But this is my mom’s pride and joy. If you like the front yard, you should see mom’s rose garden in the back. Just amazing!”

The couple got out of the convertible, leaving their bags in the trunk and approached the house. John was incredibly nervous while Margot was incredibly self-assured. Mentally, she was wondering if she should call them mom and dad when the door opened and an older couple and a young man stood in the doorway. John’s face lit up when he saw his family face-to-face and then all four embraced each other at once without saying a word. Tears of joy streamed down their faces; they were overjoyed to see one another. Then they noticed Margot. She was received with glares of hostility and sheet hatred but those expressions washed away when the mother nudged John for introductions.

“Margot Johnson, I’d like you to meet my parents, Art and Carol Mitchell and my little brother Jeff. Mom, dad, Jeff, this is Margot.” His smiling face denied his anxieties.

Forced smiles passed all around. The Mitchell’s had heard absolutely nothing about this girl and now she stood in their entryway scrutinizing their appearances. She never thought she’d be related to a man that wore overalls and a woman that wears appliquéd sweaters. Then John dropped the bomb.

“Mom, dad…I…no, we…have news.” Gripping her hand, he announced “We’re married.” He watched in disbelief as his mother’s eyes rolled back into her head before she passed out, sprawling onto the hardwood floor. When she finally awoke, Carol believed it to be a sick joke but when Margot smiled and called her mom, she knew it was real. This cannot be, she thought grimly to herself. She sat on her entryway floor, head still reeling, unwilling to believe what her son had just told her. This woman was not what she had planned for her daughter-in-law. She imagined someone down-to-earth, warm and caring not someone that was more concerned with her own appearance than with others feelings. She had just met this woman, but she knew Margot’s type. Jeff and Art helped Carol to her feet and she dusted herself off. While the men were fussing over Carol, Margot was busy staring at herself in a nearby mirror, making sure that she looked just right. Art suggested to John and Margot that they go out to the vehicle and grab their bags before it got any colder outside. With those words, Margot looked like a deer in headlights-dazed and confused.
“Bring in the bags?” she repeated loudly.
“Yeah,” replied Art.
“Don’t worry, sweetie. I’ll get yours too.” And with that Margot’s smile returned to her pretty face.

Moments later, John returned laden with bags, appearing to be a Sherpa headed for Everest. Margot, however, never missed a beat. “Could you take those up to our room? I’m tired from the drive and I need to rest.” Listening from the kitchen, Carol became more irritated with her guest, having a difficult time finding what her son sees in the wretched woman. Margot, instead of resting, went to the kitchen where she got a glass of water and had a brief conversation with Carol. As she headed for the living room, Art made his way to the kitchen. He walked in to find his wife chopping away at a head of iceberg lettuce with an eight-inch chef’s knife. He stopped mid-stride, a bit taken aback by his wife’s obvious rage. “What’s wrong with you? It looks as if you’re trying to kill that lettuce,” he said with a chuckle.
“Did you listen to that woman?! How she talks to our son? He’s like a hired hand to her. He deserves respect! I’d like to take this knife to her,” she said sharply, waving her knife wildly in the air. Her husband gently took her by the forearm and brought down the knife, lying it on the counter.
“No one is taking a knife to anyone right now. It’s almost dinnertime,” he said with a peck on the cheek.
Carol promptly bellowed “DINNER!”, bringing everyone into the dining room.

With the family now seated at the large oak table, Carol brought in meatloaf and gravy from the kitchen. “John, would you be a sweetheart and grab the mashed potatoes?” Quickly standing up to help his mom, he gave her a quick peck on the cheek. “Thanks mom, you know meatloaf’s my favorite.” As soon as all the dinner was on the table, everyone began to dig into the hearty meal. “Don’t fill up. After dinner, apple pie!” This must be my lucky day, John thought until he looked at Margot, making one of her infamous sour puss faces. He leaned over and sweetly whispered in her ear. “What’s the matter? My mom makes the best meatloaf and her apple pie is legendary.” To which she replied in a very loud voice “You know I’m trying to cut down on meat, and now carbs and sugars! How fat do you want me, John?” She stood up from the table without a word and marched upstairs where she stayed for the rest of the night. John sat at the table, red-faced, looking at his family, utterly embarrassed. Part of him felt he should run after her but the other part thought it best for her to cool off. He was shocked that his wife would act like this at the first dinner with his parents but he was humiliated that she would ever treat him like this. Is this how little she thought of him and his family, he wondered. After the disruption, the family returned to their dinner, a bit of reminiscing, a bit of catching up, mostly trying to forget the rudeness of one guest. John and Jeff helped their mom clear the table, and while filling the dishwasher, John took the time to ask his mom about Margot. He apologized for her outburst and told her how he hoped all would work out well for them. Giving her a kiss on the cheek, he headed to the front porch to sit with his dad and brother.

The men sat in the cool, night air discussing the Cincinnati Bengals (doing quite well) and the Cleveland Browns (bad season, so far at least). They drank beer and talked about the Cincinnati Reds and the need for snow tires. It came time for bed, so hugs and kisses were exchanged. John went to his room and, after changing into flannel pajamas, crawled into bed with Margot. He reached over to touch her but, flinching, she pulled away. She was still angry. It’s amazing, he thought, even in a deep sleep, she’s still mad. It had been at least an hour since John had gotten into bed when the couple’s bedroom door opened. A small crack of light peeked through and Carol, armed with a pillow, tiptoed through the room to Margot’s side of the bed. Silently, slowly, she positioned the pillow over her daughter-in-law’s face, preparing herself to snuff the life of the thorn in her side when suddenly Margot’s eyes flashed open. Startled, Carol composed herself and, with a smile, whispered, “I thought you could use another pillow.” Margot, frightened, took the pillow into her shaking hands and placed it behind her head. She quietly thanked her and, with a nervous smile, settled back onto the pillows piled behind her. As soon as she left and the door closed behind her, Margot woke John in a panic. She told him stories of how his beloved, saintly mother with the wonderful apple pie was a mad woman, attempting to smother her with a pillow. He merely laughed at her, thinking “if anyone’s going to smother you, it would be me.”

The couple awoke the next morning but Margot couldn’t shake the vision of the night before, the one of her mother-in-law hovering over her with a pillow. She had never been more frightened in her life and now John didn’t believe her. It figures, she thought, this is the same man that firmly believed in the old saying ‘blood is thicker than water’. How could he ever doubt his mother. The couple walked down the stairs together and into the dining room for the large country breakfast that Carol was making. Finally, after they all were seated, she brought out a luscious spread of bacon, scrambled eggs, sausage, toast, hash browns, pancakes, and melon balls. She had made multiple visits to the kitchen, returning with carafes of coffee, orange juice and a bottle of maple syrup. The family, like always, praised her for her hard work. Smiles abounded as the family dug in. But once again, Margot sat with her arms folded across her chest, pouting. Unlike the last time, John was determined to ignore his childish wife and enjoy this wonderful time with his family. The group continued on with their chit-chat, all the while John’s bratty wife begged for attention. After he had cleared his plate, he leaned over to Margot and simply inquired, “What’s wrong now?” Glaring at Carol, she replied “No one bothered to ask if I wanted my usual, and might I add a healthy breakfast, of strawberry yogurt with granola!” Margot stood up suddenly, knocking the chair onto it’s back and drawing the attention of the entire family. John was quickly losing patience with her and no longer found her behavior quirky or even simply annoying. Now he was beginning to realize her for what she truly was…a shrew. Once again, Margot stormed up the stairs and slammed the door behind her. He knew he had to face her soon since he was still dressed in his pajamas and had to get dressed for the day. Slowly, he climbed the stairs, planning on dashing in and out of the bedroom. However, once he entered the room, his plans changed.

He found Margot lying on the bed, curled onto her side, sobbing. John came to her side, stroking her hair, telling her that it would be alright and that they’d leave in the morning. She rolled over to face him.
“Yes, but then we’ll end up here every holiday or anytime your mother calls.” She began to sob again.
“What am I supposed to do? They’re my family; I love them.”
Sitting up and drying her eyes, Margot said “We need to build a life of our own. Something for ourselves. You’re an adult, John, you don’t need your mommy around all the time.” She realized she said too much. In the midst of the argument that erupted, Carol was passing by in the hall. She couldn’t help but overhear their fighting and the harsh words being exchanged. A life of their own, she wondered. I raised him to know that we’re a tight knit family. A tight knit family…because when everyone else abandons you or turns against you, your family will always be there, she thought. She knew this was Margot’s doing, was her plan all along. From the day she entered the house, Carol knew Margot wanted to build a wall between the family and John no matter how long it took. Why couldn’t she just try to be part of the family, stop being a snotty bitch. Maybe then I wouldn’t have tried to smother her. But no, she didn’t want to be one of us, too good for us. She remembered when they first arrived when Margot talked to her in the kitchen. She remembered Margot telling her how excited John was in coming to the house and all she ever heard was how wonderful his family was. This had made Carol happy since she lived and died for her family. She told her new daughter-in-law that the most important thing in life is not success but a tight knit family because they’ll always be there for you. Margot coldly replied, “Actually, I can’t move far enough away from my family.” Carol stood slack jawed, hoping to have either misunderstood or have not gotten the joke but when she looked in Margot’s brown eyes, she knew she was serious.

The doorknob turned, awakening Carol, making her remember she was eavesdropping on her son and that woman. She continued to her room, thinking that something had to be done; Margot would destroy their family. The couple walked downstairs and stopped to talk just underneath the second floor landing. Carol watched from above, listening to the harpy berate her son. Carol took a table lamp and carefully aimed it over Margot’s head. She let go. Before it could hit her and put her out of everyone’s misery, Margot turned to walk out the front door. The lamp shattered when it struck the hardwood floor, breaking into tiny bits of porcelain. Margot and John looked up at Carol who simply replied “My mistake. Sorry about that,” and returned to dusting. Margot motioned for John to come to her.
“I told you your mother is insane! She’s trying to kill me! You saw it with your own eyes,” she whispered in a harsh voice.
“It slipped. It was an accident. Just forget about it. Do you want to go on a hay ride or something,” he asked as he walked out in the warm autumn sunlight.
“You can take your stinky air. I’ll stay here.”
“Fine, you can stay inside with my mom,” he said with a chuckle.

Margot was livid about the hay ride. Now she not only smelled of horse poop but now she had hay in her hair and on her clothes. They walked up the driveway a distance from one another with Margot crossing her arms over her chest. John, on the other hand, was beaming. He forgot how much he missed the rural part of Ohio where he had grown up but it was now obvious to him that his wife didn’t share the same enthusiasm. Upon reaching the house, the couple sat down on the front porch swing, looking back down the drive they had just traveled. Without a word, in both of their minds, they thought the same phrase, this was a mistake. John began thinking about it all-what do we have in common? Absolutely nothing. Yes, she’s attractive and sexy but you can’t build a relationship on it. And she wasn’t funny. And she was boring. She was even cruel. He realized as soon as they returned to town they’d get it annulled. He had to finish it.

The final day for John and Margot at the Mitchell house seemed to drag on forever. Finally, breaking the monotony and tension, Carol called everyone to dinner. They gathered once more at the table to enjoy the wonderful dishes she had prepared for them. As Margot sat down at the table, Carol placed her hands on the young woman’s shoulder. “I just wanted to say what a joy it has been to have Rose here as our house guest especially now that she’s a member of the family. I think this dinner should be in her honor.” Carol patted a very confused Margot on the back and returned to the kitchen.
Margot leaned over to John and whispered “What’s wrong with your mom?”
“Oh, didn’t I tell you? She gets that way sometimes.”

Carol once again brought out an incredible array of food from roast beef and stewed vegetables to homemade breads and rolls and, of course, her famous apple pie. She came with carafes of ice water, lemonade, coffee, and iced tea. Being the gracious hostess she was, Carol took the pitcher of iced tea person to person, offering to fill their glass. Everyone said yes to Carol’s delightful tea but no one took a sip. They did, however, watch with bated breath to see if Margot did. After a long period of eating and watching, everyone finished and retired to the living room. They all sat and made small talk, knowing that in the morning John and Margot would be gone, and this just tore Carol apart. The family finally went to bed but for John and Margot they went to their room to pack, and for Margot it would not be a minute too soon.

Morning came early for the Mitchell family. Margot informed John in their bedroom that they wouldn’t be staying for breakfast, that they’d get it on the road. She also curtly informed him to take one good last look around because it would be a long time before they’d be back. He ignored what she said and focused on the word ‘annulment’. The two dragged their suitcases to the bottom of the stairs and informed Art and Carol they had to leave early to avoid traffic. The Mitchell’s yelled for Jeff to come say goodbye. Everyone stood in the entry way, hugging and saying goodbye like any
typical family when Carol snapped. “I just can’t take it anymore,” and turned to the pretty round table close by. Pulling open the drawer, she retrieved a pistol from inside and fired two shots directly into Margot’s head. Her body dropped to the wooden floor as the eyes of her husband and her two sons looked to Carol in shock. John turned to his mother saying “I was going to get it annulled! You didn’t have to do this.”
“Yes, I did. This is my family and I have to protect it. And anyways, you should know better.” She nudged the body with her foot, looked at John and said “Get it out of here. You know where they go.” She turned her attention to her youngest son. “Help your brother and please learn from this. I’m beginning to run out of room back there, for Pete’s sake.”

John and Jeff went to the garage and returned with twine and a large piece of plastic the size of a tarp. The two men took the items into the house and rolled up the body in the plastic material, tying the twine into tidy knots, one at each end. One could tell that this was not the first time they had done this. Nonchalantly, they carried John’s dead wife’s into their mother’s beloved rose garden and began digging. While they were outside, Carol mopped the floor while Art took care of ‘detail work’, looking for small amounts of blood that they might have missed. The brothers, finishing their task in the garden, deposited Margot’s body in the shallow grave. For some reason, John thought the rose garden never looked lovelier. Maybe that was because Margot had stopped complaining non-stop in his ear.

The two had been quiet for quite some time, busy in there work. Finally Jeff broke the silence. “So, how many do you think mom has back here?”
“I’d say at least a baker’s dozen, maybe more. You know mom.”
“What do you think her favorite is?”
“Definitely poison. No clean-up. At least no ‘detail work’. Sometimes I do wish mom would let us date but I know she means well. Someday, though, the right woman will come along. I know mom will approve.”

The two men returned to the house to find their parents relaxing with coffee in the kitchen. The boys sat down to enjoy the coffee and some conversation.
“So what type of poison was in the iced tea?”
“Anti-freeze.”

The day came and went fairly quickly, filled with interesting conversations and discussions and bursts of laughter. At night, old habits die hard (especially in strange houses), finding Carol tucking John into bed and Art doing the same with Jeff. Carol sat on the side of John’s bed running her fingers through his hair. She apologized for killing Margot, explaining that she was a horrible woman who could never bring him true happiness. She assured him that she wanted him to be happy but not give up his own hopes and dreams for someone elses. She kissed his cheek but before she could turn out his bedroom light, John asked his mom “I know that you love me and want me to be happy. But don’t you think it’s a little extreme?”

In another bedroom down the hall, Art was tucking Jeff into bed when Jeff asked a question of his father. “Dad, just wondering two things? One, how do you put up with mom?”
“Well, she’s a strong woman. I wouldn’t have her any other way. What’s the second question?”
“Oh, it’s not a question. You bet me five bucks that mom would kill Margot the second day. I said the third day. You owe me five bucks. Pay up.”
© Copyright 2009 peacock22 (darlenespanel at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621477-A-Tight-Knit-Family