*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613089-The-Experiment-of-Goodish-Stuff
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Dove
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1613089
Short story I had to write for my English class that had to link to the Scream painting.
The Experiment of Goodish Stuff

         No one expected Dr. Monarch’s experiment to get anywhere; they even half expected it to blow up in the poor doctor’s face. The Population was flabbergasted when the experiment not only was a success, but an international phenomenon.

         It all started in a cold, gray, melancholic town called Pirkston. Pirkston wasn’t your typical small north-western town, it wasn’t odd because of its appearance, but because it had absolutely no farmers to speak of. Instead of having the common farming commerce, it had an economy solely supported by the government. Each person who lived in Pirkston was either a researcher, an overseer, or a test subject, this counted kids since families were always needed to keep a social structure, even a messed up one, in place.

         The social structure of Pirkston was made up of three classes: the upper-class or researchers, the middle-class or overseers, and the lower-class or test subjects. The upper-class had unlimited power over the lower-class and limited power over the middle-class; if someone of the upper-class asked you to do something, you did it, no questions asked. The middle-class had partial power over both the upper and lower classes; they could question and overrule the upper-class and coordinate the lower-class’s actions. The lower-class held no power over the upper-class and partial power over the middle class; they had the ability to question the middle-class’s actions and directions. Once in a class, you were not able to move up or down from your rank in the society. In conclusion, a person would want to come into the town as a researcher or an overseer and never as a test subject.

         Even with all of the order and discord of the town’s social, no one could have predicted the appearance of one, Miss Magna Independence. Magna was a spry young woman who although had no striking physical features was a considered quite the beauty for a drab town like Pirkston and her eccentric personality and playful charm almost completely made up for her lack in prettiness.

         Magna’s entrance to Pirkston was one fit for a queen; she approached the town gates in a horse drawn carriage of such great splendor that many had to cover their eyes as to not go blind from the sheer force of its magnificence. All of the lower-class believed her to be the young Queen of England, come to set them free of their bondage; of course they were soon to be disappointed.

         As soon as Miss Independence lowered her foot upon the footplate of the carriage, a sigh of displeasure escaped the population; she was just another ordinary person and an ugly one at that. The crowds that had originally been attracted to the sight of such a wonderful carriage dispersed quickly leaving Magna alone to laugh at the people’s stupidity and false hope. She found it quite humorous for people to make quick assumptions from a single glance and then be utterly disappointed when they found out that the truth is exactly the opposite of what they originally thought it to be.

         Magna was to be the head of a new department researching the affects of chocolate on the world: her mission, to see if chocolate could change the very laws of science. According to her hypothesis, chocolate was so good that it could make matter melt from pure delight. All the universities hadn’t even let her past the front door to propose her ideas, but the government had listened to her, their very hearts enraptured by her propositions, and so, she was placed here in merry old Pirkston.

         When the inhabitants of merry old Pirkston heard the goals of Magna’s research, they dubbed her Dr. Monarch, queen of chocolate and insanity. In return, Magna christened them as The Population, due to their continuous unanimous reactions to events. Neither Dr. Monarch nor The Population respected each other; each side thought of the other as both mad and incompetent.

         Magna was never out much during her stay in Pirkston; she did not see the point in leaving the indoors when it was far brighter inside than outside. Instead, much of her time was spent scribbling notes down and performing experiments in the lab. Progress seemed to move at a snail’s pace for her; everyday, there would be breakthroughs and everyday, there would be fallbacks. In the end, there was still progress and that was all that she could ask for.

         On July 10th of her majesty’s tenth year of reign, Miss Independence was called to Parliament to present all information gathered from her research. All the spies that had been planted as test subjects in Pirkston had not been able to say just how far Magna had gotten to achieving her goal and the government officials were curious.

         Once again, Dr. Monarch made a grand entrance to a great number of curious onlookers; there was a difference this time though, Miss Magna was dressed for success and there was a spring in her step as if the world were her apple to do with as she pleased. No one could look her in the eye and doubt the fact that chocolate was the most powerful substance in the universe.

         Parliament had gathered its forces to interrogate Dr. Monarch; they wouldn’t let her get away with screwing them over if that was indeed what she was doing.

         A pompous old goat of a man stood to speak as soon as the people of the court had settled, his appearance and voice supported the idea of calling him a goat.

         “Just what have you done that has made any progress into your research?” he bleated his nose vibrating in tune with his words.

         “I have reached my goal of course.” Dr. Monarch declared her voice steady and her eyes as sharp as an eagle’s.

         “Would you care to give us any proof of this?” the goat man asked his nose still quivering from his last words.

         “Not really, but it seems I don’t have much of a choice.” Magna mumbled trying not to glare at the fool trying to interrogate her.

         “What?” the goat man bellowed at her.

         “If you wish it to happen, my lord.” Magna replied performing a small quick bow and turning to her suitcase to swiftly rummage through it.

         “Well, go on then.” the goat man demanded her.

         Dr. Monarch sighed at the man’s idiocy, the pure stupidity of some people was starting to get on her nerves, and then beamed at no one in particular as her hand came to rest on a small vial. She removed the vial from her bag and proceeded to show it off to all who were watching.

         “What is that?” the goat man’s squealing voice made Magna flinch; she still hadn’t gotten used to high pitches.

         “This is something that will change the world forever.” She proclaimed in response to his rather brainless question and sauntered over to him, “Now, hold out your hand.” The vial’s cap was removed and in her other hand she held a painting of a bridge and two men.

         “Will this cause me any harm?”

         Dr. Monarch shook her head at him, grabbed his hand, poured a drop of the vial’s solution into it, and placed it on the painting. Immediately, a screeching sound was heard at a decibel surprisingly higher than the goat man’s voice. While the people were trying to figure out how such a noise could exist, they failed to notice that the goat man had disappeared. When someone finally noticed, the whole building went into an uproar. Where had the man gone? How could there be a noise at a note higher than his voice?

         After a couple hours, the rabble of people had calmed enough to look to Dr. Monarch for an explanation. She simply answered by holding up the painting, on it, there were three men now; two in the background and one at the front, his hands on the sides of his face and his mouth opened in an endless and silent scream.

© Copyright 2009 Dove (725_amr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613089-The-Experiment-of-Goodish-Stuff