*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614827-A-Matter-of-the-Heart
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by tamig
Rated: E · Essay · Emotional · #1614827
An essay I wrote while serving time in prison
A MATTER OF THE HEART....



In the blink of an eye, another year has passed, and the holidays are upon us again. It's the time of year that conjures up so many special memories for us all. I can almost smell the evergreen as I picture multi-colored lights and and sparkling tinse; hot spiced cider and plates of cookies piled high, awaiting their turn to be gobbled up by hungry children. There are mistletoe kisses and the unblemished beauty of freshly fallen snow. These are just a few of my personal memories, but we all have them, Those special times and time-honored traditions that represent who we are and where we came from. Traditons that we will pass on to our children and to their children..and while those memories may seem bittersweet to those of us that are incarcerated...always keep in mind that Christmas is truly just a matter of the heart.



While historically this has always been a sad and lonely time of year for those of us in prison, it really doesn't have to be that way. I know it seems like time nearly slows to a standstill as each day looms longer than the last. As prison employees take time off to spend with their families..activities seem to cease. The post office closes and we are faced wirh days of no mail and it just seems like the New Year will never arrive. But...just like every other situatuon we encounter along lifes path, it's all about attitude..It's all about how we choose to approach the season that will make all the difference in how it affects us.



The true spirit of Christmas is about the gift of love and compassion. It's about givng unconditonally and reaching out to others in the spirit of love. Thers's so much we can do..even inside these walls to make the true spirit of Christmas come alive in our hearts and in the hearts of others. Just a random act of kindness..a smile shared with someone that noone ever smiles at...a few snacks handed to someone that doesn't have any..a recycled Christmas card slipped clandestinely under a doorway to someone whose name isn't  called at mail call. Trust me when I tell you that you'll get more joy out of seeing someones face light up than you ever did opening your presents on Christmas morning as a child. It's only in learning to be selfless that we are able to gain a new and truly shining sense of self.



So, to all my brothers and sisters out there that are feeling a little blue as the holidays approach..Lift your heads up and step up to the plate. Be the one to make a difference in someone elses life ...and I promise you...it will make all the difference in yours...





From my heart to yours...Merry Christmas....

© Copyright 2009 tamig (tamig49 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614827-A-Matter-of-the-Heart