*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1615902-Chapter-two-of-Seven-Years-Later
Rated: E · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1615902
Werewolf and boy spend time getting to know each other but then...
Chapter 2

What the #@<&

Wet slobbery doggy kisses were my wake up call the next morning. At first I thought I was dreaming again that some how my dreams of being awoken like this were finally beginning to leak over the boundaries of my ability to discern between that which was real and not. And just like in those dreams when I opened my eyes and attempted to get up the wolf was there, standing over me waiting to deliver the slobberiest kiss of all. But unlike my dreams where I’d push the wolfs head away and he’d jump off of me and run off with my trousers or something this wolf didn’t get off. Quite the contrary he began to lower himself down on top of me; sandwiching me between the mattress and himself. And unlike my dreams this wolf was no dog. This wolf still had the furry body of a man spliced and accentuated with wolfen traits a tail included.

What brought me back to the reality of what had taken place the night before was the blood-crusted bandage across the werewolf’s chest. It did not take long for me to get distracted from the facts of last night however. As he had lowered himself all the way onto me crushing me pleasantly beneath his sweltering hairy mass, it was a nice feeling. And I was content to lay there and be smothered beneath my new friend.

The wolf started to pull on my left ear with his teeth playfully slurping my ear into his mouth, where he chewed on it lightly.

Deciding that I had had enough, I pushed his head away. He laid it next to mine on my left side breathing slowly. “Good morning” I said reaching my own hand up to touch the back of his head. Having been around dogs in my childhood, I knew a few areas that they enjoyed having scratched, like behind the ears. Reaching behind one, I started to rub. The moan of pleasure that emanated from his throat showed his immediate appreciation of this small gesture. His tail was sweeping back and forth almost in a blur. Putting the other hand to work on his other ear, I crooned. “Good boy” patting him on the back of the head. The sighs of satisfaction stopped, as did the movement of his tail. In one fluid motion, he leapt off me looking reproachful; a glimmer of last nights menacing growl returned. At first, I did not understand it, but I soon realized what I had done. I had insulted him. This was a creature of intellect as sharp, if not sharper than my own and I’d just referred to him with the kind of incentive that would go between master and pet dog. And this werewolf was definitely no puppy. His upper lip curled back in a sneer of disgust, bearing his radiantly white teeth at me.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to insult you,” I said nervously placing my hands before me in a sign of peace. He let his lip drop back over his teeth and the growl faded away, but he still looked at me with reproachful eyes.

As he came over and sat on the bed at my waist, I got an uneasy sense that he intended something. Reaching over he took a fist full of my hair and slowly brought me to a sitting position allowing me to walk up to it with my arms. Now that I was sitting up, he pulled my hair back, forcibly making me look him in the eyes. I stared back into those golden orbs not daring to look away. I wasn’t sure of what he intended by this, but I think he was looking to see if I was sincere or not. What ever it was, he released my hair satisfied with what he had seen in my eyes ruffling my hair, it felt somewhat like, he was saying apology accepted as the massive leather pads of his paw like hand smoothed away the hurt his tugging had caused a moment ago. Still feeling a bit guilty at my own bluntness I decided I owed him more than just an apology. “Look I don’t really know anything about how to act around or treat you. I’ve never done anything like this before and you’re the first werewolf I’ve actually taken in.” the wolf looked surprised by this new information, and then a bit nervous, then he Sulked visibly. I thought that maybe he was displeased with me “I’m sorry I don’t have more to offer you, but you’re the second werewolf I’ve helped and the first one didn’t tell me anything to expect.” Sulking myself, I knew what I would have to be ready for next. “I’ll under stand if you want to leave,” I said trying to look reasonable. “But at least stay and rest until you’re fixed up.” He gave me a wry smile, which I returned sheepishly. His tail wagged slightly not like it had earlier but it made my smile deepen with a little more certainty. It was then with the tin clanking of a pan on the iron stove-top grill and the hissing of eggs frying in the pans bottom that we became aware of mom making breakfast. I registered it as commonplace, the wolf however snapped his head to look in the direction the sound had come from sniffing the air for what it was he'd heard.

That she hadn’t burst into my room upon waking was a good sign. Mother would have perceived any real threat from my new friend were there any there, and come to inform me the moment she detected it. That was just how mother was.

The sound of the kettle brought me back to the fact that my friends bandage needed changing and his cut washing. Getting up I searched my room for a relatively clean shirt to wear for today. Which reminded me. I’d have to toss the bloodied one. There were several sleeveless shirts lying on my worktable partially hidden beneath a sea of wood shavings. Grabbing the closest one I pulled it off the table, sending up a shower of tan curlicues as I did so. I then proceeded to garb myself. What was I going to do for the wolf! Handsome creature that he was, it was still highly immodest to go about in natures own with his dog autonomy visible like that. Even if you were of it by the very virtue of your birth.
Not certain how to phrase this I stumbled into it “uh, do you want my apron for now?” he grinned at me as if to say “what? fur not good enough for you.” but getting up and coming over he took the apron I offered him. It was of medium brown dear leather large by make, because it had been made for someone taller than me just like the shirt I'd ruined. But it seemed to cover him decently enough. Next I removed the bandage peeling it away slowly and carefully. The dry blood in his fur cracked as I pulled it’s covering away, sending crusty flakes of brown tinged crimson to land amid the sea of tan and brown all ready present. The wound would need a good bath before I could properly examine it. As for the gash itself I couldn’t really see it amidst the dry blood and I wasn’t about to go picking away at it. We’ll have to wash that after breakfast. I replaced the bandage and had him wait in the room while I went to eat. He stopped me at the door a hand on my right shoulder turning me about he leaned down to my cut off sleeve and began licking my shoulder, "what?" I asked as he continued licking and then satisfied moved to my neck. Taking my hand he started licking the wrist and looking down as he stood before me licking my arm. following his gaze I saw that I had blood on my hand and wrist his blood. When he'd finished he went on to my other shoulder, then I realized I had his blood all over my upper body. Patting my shoulder when he finished he pushed me to the door. Grateful for him not letting me go out and face mom with blood all over me I whispered back to him "Thanks" before leaving the room.



The aroma from the kitchen was enough to make my mouth water. Eggs weren’t my favorite but when you’re hungry anything smells good. In addition to fried eggs, there was a pot of tea, and some milk. The family next door owned a cow, and mother would trade wild honey or some of the vegetables from the small garden she kept up for some fresh milk. We ate in silence for the most part, though mother did ask how my flute practice had gone. And if I might try and catch something for dinner. As mother wanted to have carpenter Jack over for dinner. I told her I’d try; smuggling another egg for the wolf while she attended to sweetening her tea with a dollop of honey. clearing my spot I made for the back door. Her voice stopped me. “David dear.” There that tone was again, the one that spoke of infallible warning about to be revealed. “Yes?” I asked knowing something had to be coming. “It feels like something’s changed.” I paused for her to go on, she didn’t so I asked. “What’s changed.” She paused before answering choosing her words with care. “It’s like there’s a, familiar presence in the air, but I can’t put my finger on it,” she smiled then, dismissing the mater. “Ah well, it must be nothing, just my mind running away with me again.” I smiled too waving back to her as I closed the back door, to enter the dawn. The morning air was crisp, a cool light breeze reminding me of the night before. Fog lay over most every thing in sight, which was not a whole lot. Whatever trace of drowsiness, swept away by the damp morning air. Hopping the white washed fence that matched the white wash of our house, I went around to the side of the house where my bedroom window was located. Knocking, on the glass, I watched the wolf walk over smiling he unlatched the window and lifted it open. Our thought lines running along the same path it seemed. Slipping out he landed next to me and grinned again. Sniffing me he found his way to the egg I'd dropped down my shirt front for him. he began licking my shirt front, his action saying all to clearly "I'm hungry, Gimme" stepping back I fished around for it, saying "Alright, already here you go, gosh." Egg in hand he licked his chops and then leaning down he took a hold of my arm, sniffed the egg and then with one sweep of his tongue, the egg was gone. Licking my hand a few more times needing to get every last crumb or something he finally released my hand. I realized that he must be starving, thinking about the fact caused me a pang of regret "I'm sorry I don't got more." He nodded patted my shoulder in thanks, and turning then he reached into the window and pulled out the apron which until now I hadn't realized he wasn't wearing “He had a surprise for me.” the apron I’d given him to cover himself with was stuffed full of my dirty shirts, pants, and other things that he had assumed would need washing with his cut. He had also grabbed a bar of soap, bath towel and a brush, which I kept on my windowsill. He Looked a little smug with himself as if enjoying a private joke, I couldn’t help but try to snub him for being one-step ahead of me. “We can do that latter” I said beckoning him to put it back. He only shook his head and started us towards the river forcing me to follow, or be left behind. I was having to jog to keep pace with him three of my strides were only one of his and I was panting by the time we had reached the river. I had no clue as to which part of the river we were headed to, so when we stopped in the grove where Rolf had left me I was more than a little unnerved. “How’d you find your way here?” I asked exasperated and more than a little put out feeling, now that it was no longer my secret. I hadn’t even shown Dan this place. Stopping at the stump by the river where I usually sat he took the apron put the cloths down on the old snarled piece of wood, And turned to look towards me. Touching the stump, he pointed to his nose then to one of my shirts in the pile, and my bed sheets too! “what all had he grabbed!” Then he pointed to me. “You smelled your way here?” He nodded smug once again. “So you needed all that to find my scent here?” I said maliciously smirking myself. He shook his head smiling at my belligerence. “Then why’d you bring it!” I practically shouted this last bit my irritation causing me to miss the obvious, and forget to be careful around him. Pointing again at his nose, then at my clothing, and then at me he wrinkled up his nose in what I believe was a grimace. The meaning behind his action was all to clear. “You stink, when’s the last time you bathed?” Going a bit red with my embarrassment at being called out on the fact, I fell to my one reaction for such times as these. “Oh I stink, do I!?!” I bellowed storming forward. “Well when’s the last time you took a bath!?! Continuing forward so that I stood right in front of him I put my nose to the middle of his chest and took a large breath in through the nose. “You’re not exactly a breath of spring daisies yourself” I said triumphantly. The smug look disappeared to one of self consciousness. For a few seconds he sniffed himself confused by my statement. He actually hadn’t smelt all that bad. Different it was true, but not fowl, or over powering. He seemed to think as much himself because an evil grin crept across his features just then. "Oh Shit!" I ran for it but didn’t get to far (ten feat) before his massive hands had me. I struggled against him. Elbowing him in the gut and getting another five feet before he had me in thrall again. Lifting me off the ground I yelled. “Put Me Down!” Kicking my feet trying to hit him. He carried me aloft, holding me over his head making a rumbling sound in his chest that could only be laughter. I only had a brief look at where he was taking me because the next I was flying. Weightless for a moment I knew what was next.

Splash! He’d thrown me in the river, just beyond the shallows. A good twelve feet from where he’d thrown me from on the shore. The water felt freezing at first and it caused me to shudder. He of course was rolling on the ground laughing his head off as I drudged my way onto the shore. Not braking stride for a moment I came right over to him and tried to pull him into the water myself. I couldn’t budge him even though I put up quite an effort.

Amused with my weak attempts for retribution he eventually picked me up by my shirt front. A fact which I disregarded as I tried to reach his delighted face and give his ears a good tug. We were moving again. The opposite way of the river. Pulling me to his chest suddenly he turned around and charged full force forward. And then we were defying gravity, again.

We landed at least fifteen feet from where he’d jump from. Just far enough for us to be in the deeper part which created a tidal wave, or at least the closest I’d ever get to experiencing one. He sank us down through the cold water and then launched to the surface. Braking the top. I sucked in air. He released me and then we both swam to the shallows. Getting there before me he got to a point and then stopping, turned around to wait for me. I gave him a wide birth but it did no good he just walked over and fished me out as I tried to dive. “What?” I said as he held me up to eye level with him his hands under my armpits. “You’re not going to throw me again are you?” I sounded nervous even to me, as I shivered there helpless if he decided to. For a moment he looked to consider this. I cringed, as another smile broke out over his face. But he didn’t throw me instead he licked my face and shook his head hoisting me up to sit on his shoulders instead. He carried me back to the shore and then set me down. Dripping wet we both laughed and then I went to take the bandage off of his chest. He sat down on the river bank and waited patiently for me to go about washing the area with the soap he’d brought from my room. Using my hands I sudsed up the blood matted fur. The light grey was soon a maroon stained color. Rinsing it meant going out into the shallows which I decided to follow him into, splashing the river water on his front as he sat down in the river bed. I found there was still more dried blood to take off. Washing, rinsing and repeating the process several times. I had yet another shock waiting for me. The wound was completely sealed up! Giving him a wondering look, I examined the area closer. The flesh was still a little pink but even that looked to be fading fast. He wouldn’t even have a scar at this rate! “Do werewolves heal at a faster pace than humans?” Giving me a questioning look he shrugged. “But.” I said pointing at his flesh he glanced down. His eye brows (or at least the area where eye brows should be) shot up and looking at me in wonder he panted the word that sounded like thanks. “That wasn’t me.” I stammered. This time when he shrugged it was in confusion. We dropped the topic and put it off that maybe wolves repair faster than men. Or at least I did anyway. Taking the bundle on the stump we went to work cleaning my cloths. I really did stink I realized and we both were bathing shortly after the cloths were up to dry. this turned into a splashing fight, which I lost. Having bigger hands meant that he could displace more water faster than me, so I was the first to yield. He fished me out of the water and brought me back to the shallows where we took turns scrubbing each other’s backs. After that we waited for ourselves to dry. And it was while we were bathing that a new event began to unfurl itself.

Looking up suddenly the wolf tested the air with his nose. A slight growl emitted from his chest and then he grabbed me up and dashed to where the brush grew thickest on the right edge of the grove. Hunkering down and backing us into the thicket he stopped his growling, but every fiber of his body seemed tense. “What’s wrong.” I whispered sensing the need for silence. He put a hand over my mouth and pushed me under himself. So that he hid most of my flesh with his furry body. I didn’t like being this close to him one bit, at least not this familiarly (some cloths between me and him and I could of tolerated it, but skin on fur well...) Then I heard a branch snapping at the far end of the grove. Modesty and discomfort forgotten I looked on in unease. Not sure what had spooked my friend enough to cause him to hide us.

From out of the trees stepped the black smith. A cross bow at the ready. Why would he be here with that of all things, was he hunting? Keeping still I watched as he looked around the clearing at my cloths and bedding hanging from tree branches drying in the breeze. He came uncomfortably close to where we were hiding as he moved around the clearing and for a moment some unexplainable fear gripping me, I thought he’d seen us. I didn’t dare to move. For then he would. Stepping toward us he began to look in the brush getting closer and closer. Just then a pheasant bolted out of the brush turning the blacksmith loosed the bolt. The bird fell mid-flight. Seeing that it was only a bird he moved on heading farther inland back toward the town. I let out a sigh sucking in air as I realized I had been holding my breath again. The wolf had too, he was shaking now, and was making a whining noise. In his throat. I got out from under him and rubbed the side of his face making him look me in the face. “What’s wrong?” I said trying to sound gentle and reassuring he buried his face in his hands. And shook his head, but not before I caught sight of a tear. "I’ll get the cloths and then we’ll go back to my house." Running out I grabbed the things I’d worn that day pulling on my pants, and putting the belt that held them up back in place I threw the shirt over my head and then went about the grove grabbing the rest of the trousers and shirts that we'd hung. The wolf had come out of the bush too and putting the apron back on, he began to get the stuff he’d put higher up like some of the bedding. folding it in the aprons bowl that holding it out formed he whined at me to hurry. What else could it be? Coming to me he took the cloths and sheets that I’d gathered too not bothering to fold them, stuffing them in the apron instead. Noticing the bird lying on the ground dead where the Blacksmith had shot it down. I had an idea. Mother had wanted for me to try and catch something for dinner. She had specifically invited the master carver Jack over for dinner tonight and it would be a shame to let it go to waist. Grabbing the bird by the feet I removed the crossbow bolt letting the bird bleed out so it could be cleaned right when we got home. I’d hang onto the crossbow bolt too, it was solid metal so it had some value to it. Going back to the house we were much more cautious than we had been in leaving. Spying from the coverage of the forest we looked to make sure that the garden was deserted before making for my window. Scrambling back into the room the wolf closed the window and went to putting things back where they’d come from. Starting with the soap and brush, setting them on the windowsill, he put my clothes on the uncompleted chair and then started to put the sheets back on the bed. Going in the back I found mother at her embroidery loop. Looking up she smiled when she saw the pheasant I had. “That’s my boy” she said beaming at me “this will make a fine supper for our guests.” Whisking the bird out of my hand she rushed into the kitchen her embroidery loop forgotten in her rocking chair. I felt cold all of a sudden. “Guests?” I asked putting emphasis on the “’s” part. “I thought we were just having old Jack over.” Stillness seemed to have come over the room. “We were dear, but, well…” She trailed off and I knew there was something wrong. “It’s just.” She paused setting the bird down she came over to me taking my hand she lead me over to the sitting room and had me take a seat. She only did this when something awful happened, when some one died! “Who is it?” I asked my voice barely a whisper “My dear I’m sorry, but…” She sighed and then taking in a deep breath she let it out saying, “I’m afraid it’s your friend Daniel.” I felt the color drain from my face. Followed soon after by stinging trails of salt water. Mere rain drops from the ocean I was certain would follow. I started balling then, just letting it all go. I hadn’t cried like this since aunt Joy my mothers sister had passed away leaving us the house. Unashamed now I let the rain fall. It was all I could offer him now. I hadn’t even gotten to say good bye. “I’m sorry dear but people die, and he had been ill for weeks now.” Mother said this as she held me in her embrace. Comforting as only a mother can. A great sob racked me just then. “Shhh.” She whispered rocking me back and forth. “He’s in a better place now David.” The rocking continued. “He’s not hurting any more, he’s closer to you now more than he ever could have been.” Her words were soothing as I rocked back and forth with her now. Tears of her own falling with mine. At least he wasn’t in pain anymore I thought to myself at least he was free from suffering I told myself over and over. This in mind I remembered the last gift he’d given to me. That damned flute. Thinking back I could hear him saying how I could probably raise the dead if I kept playing the way I had the first time. This brought a bitter smile to my lips and with some irony I considered trying just that for a time. But I decided not too. Dan had been a good friend and now it was my turn to repay the favor by letting him rest in peace. Letting the faucets that were my eyes continue to poor I silently made a promise to keep practicing.
© Copyright 2009 Fruanc J. H. (patrickhandley at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1615902-Chapter-two-of-Seven-Years-Later