*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616418-The-Fly
Rated: E · Poetry · Emotional · #1616418
Love, in its simplest form
In a different life, one not seen from here.
There was a fly

This fly had been around the world.
Seen unbelievable things with his many eyes.
Because of his wings
he was able to fly at different heights and different speeds.

Because of his size
he could fit into the most difficult places.
Because of his agility
he could avoid all uncertain situations.

One day this fly became very thirsty after flying many miles.
He comes down on a puddle of water spreading his legs evenly.
He allows his wings to rest, and takes a long drink from the water below him.
The water so cold and so fresh gave him the rejuvenation he had been looking for.

Feeling better, the fly spreads his wings in preparation to fly yet another many miles.
Before he is able to launch, the water under his feet breaks way and the fly is swept under.
A passing cat had, by accident stepped into the puddle of water.
The ripples traveling at such a velocity engulfs the fly into an endless tumble.

The cat realizes his mistake, and sweeps the fly sideways to dry shore.
Struggling to regain his coordinates, the fly stands drenched in water, unable to fly, gazing into the magnificent eyes of the cat.
The cat stares back into the many eyes of the fly.
However finds himself in an eerie mindset.

His instincts take over.
He knows what he did was wrong, and he should help the fly get back on his way.
But he also knows he is the cat and the fly is nothing but a fly.
What better time? He is vulnerable and weak, it is after all a dog-eat-dog world.

The cat with one swift motion,
pounces on the fly and tears off his wings.
The cat walks away with a great sense of achievement, victory, and no second thought of the fly.
Leaving the fly and his dismembered wings on the puddle's shore behind him.

With only his thoughts still intact,
the fly picks up his wings and begins to walk.
He doesn't feel mad, sadden, or even betrayed by the cat.
The cat's eyes reassured his faith.
© Copyright 2009 James Sulivan (gaberlcs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616418-The-Fly