*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617261-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-ten
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1617261
The family doctor visits the Miller house.
Heaven’s Gate ten

The Miller family were the most consistent parishioners in the church. They had the pride of being there when the first regular rector was assigned to their area. When the collection plate went around they always tried to have some donation to give. However the Millers also recognized that there would be a time in which the commitment would not be feasible if someone would give a disease to other members of the congregation. They felt that there might be new babies brought to church who might get sick. They also considered ninety-five year old Cranston Farmore who looked twenty years younger but still might have the inside condition of a ninety-five year old. Cranston lived through other disasters and the civil war. He was someone who the measles might make sick beyond a doctor’s medical ability to help. They decided to inform the rector that they would stay at home. He could visit after the doctor decided that the quarantine time had elapsed.

Dr. Carson knew the way to the Miller’s house quite well. He had been there for the diagnosing visit. He and Mr. Miller also occasionally went to the next larger city to view the outstanding horse races once or twice in the year. Each man loved the beauty of the powerful animals. Sometimes Dr. Carson admitted that if he did not treat the maladies of people, he would have chosen to be a veterinarian. In his opinion the animals were in need of medical help. They were also better patients. The only problem would be to get many animals to open their mouths and say , “Ah.”

When Dr. Carson came to the Miller’s house, he found William already downstairs in the parlor waiting for his approval to begin more outside ventures.

“Well young man. How are you today?” he inquired as he looked at the boy’s arms over thick spectacles.

“Very well sir. I itch only once or twice and then I am fine. In fact the red spots are almost completely gone. See?” William responded as he pulled up his shirt sleeves and turned his arms over very slowly.

“Have you been resting as I directed you to do? “

“Oh yes sir. I am so tired of bed that I could take a walk around the block and feel fit.”

Dr. Carson directed William to open his mouth for further examination and then took his temperature. The last part of the exam was for William to remain quiet as the doctor listened to his heart and lungs.

“Well if I didn’t know it, I’d think that you just came back from a vacation. You may add a couple of hours of limited activity for a few days. Then perhaps by Wednesday, you may go back to school. I will write a note for your mother to send with you so you can give it to the school nurse.” Dr. Carson said with a smile.

“Oh I forgot about school but I don’t mind. I just hope that I don’t have too much homework to catch up on.”

William’s parents laughed a light chuckle and smiled at the good health report that William had just received. Timothy who was sitting in a corner jumped up and walked over to his brother.

“Terrific. Now I think that we can go outside and talk about Buddy’s training. May we go now?” he asked his parents.

“Yes, but remember the doctor’s orders. Limited means no horseplay or rough house wrestling., just walking.” said his mother with a hug for William and a pat on the head for Timothy.

“Oh boy,” said William as he and Timothy walked quickly to the door and out of the house.

After the parents heard the screen door close, they both faced the doctor to tell him of their suspicions.

“Doctor, we think that Catherine is about as well as William. But we feel that Harriet was more ill than the other two and has encountered another problem.” said Mr. Miller.

“I knew that she had a higher fever and was concerned that other complications might have occurred. What do is the problem?” he said as he put his stethoscope into his bag.

“Well she acts like she cannot hear us well. She is not the kind of girl to play jokes. She does not do things to get more attention. But the other day,” said Mrs. Miller as she looked over towards her husband to help confirm her observations.

“Yes, we think that maybe you could tell us if you have ever seen or heard of a patient becoming losing their hearing or becoming deaf after this illness. Could it be temporary? Is she still sick?” he asked.

Dr. Carson stood for a second to consider all of the information that he just received. He knew that any parent, especially a good friend would want complete honesty. He finally decided that his observation would be the best judge in what he could tell the parents.

“I know that diseases can do many unexplained things. We just do not have the ability to find information from other doctors as we would like. So my first answer is I have not seen this problem in my practice. And then I cannot tell you about its duration. For the third question, I can tell you more after I see Harriet. I need to see Catherine as well to compare the two girls. If Catherine is well enough, she could go back to school with William, but Harriet might need a day or two extra of rest. Let me decide after the exam.” he responded as he went into the hall and up the stairs.

As they walked up the stairs they heard the sound of boys laughing and the little puppy, Buddy barking.

As they entered the room, they saw the girls doing different activities. Catherine was writing in her journal. She tried to enter something every day. Occasionally, she wrote poems that she imagined that she would read to her friends in class. The teacher was always encouraging the class to be creative. Catherine’s entry today was that she hoped that she and Harriet would be declared well and ready to go outside and to school. Her poem was one in which she related her feeling about being sick.

“Oh hello Dr. Carson. It is nice to see you. I’ve just completed a short poem. Would you like to hear it?” she asked with a look of anticipation on her face.

“Oh only if it is short. I need to see one more measles patient before I can go home.”

“Oh, okay.” she said as she stood up and came to attention as she would in her class.” She recited her poem called ‘Measles’ that she had composed in an hour’s time. Her small audience stood respectfully and clapped when the end came and she gave her thank you courtesy.

Dr. Carson gave Catherine the same exam that he did for William as Harriet sat on her chair with book that she had been reading. She clapped also when her sister finished her poem and then put her book on the little table next to her chair. She acted as if she was watching everyone’s move with special interest.

“Well Catherine, I would think that you are well enough to go to school with William. I enjoyed your recital and think that you do have a nice poem there. Thank you for sharing it. Perhaps you could go downstairs and make a copy for me?” he asked looking at her parents for some help in getting her downstairs.

“Oh yes, Catherine. In my desk, I think that there is some special writing paper that you can use to make a copy for Dr. Carson. If you could do two copies I would like to send one to my brother who works for a newspaper. He might print it in the society section. “ Mrs. Miller suggested.

“Alright. “ Catherine answered as she walked out of the room.
© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617261-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-ten