*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1620096-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-nineteen
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1620096
The doctor's report is not good. Buddy barks at a mystery object or person.
HG nineteen

After the ladies left the room, Mr. Miller walked over to Dr. Carson and looked him straight in the eyes. He knew that whether it was a friend or doctor that he was talking to the man standing there would be honest, even if the truth hurt.

“I want to thank you for letting us come in today. I have two members of my family who have things happen to them that I have no control over. That bothers me but, I would like you to tell me if there is going to be any problem with the other baby that is not born yet. I did not want to worry Frances with my thoughts and I am sure she has let me know anything that is going on but,” he paused and shook his head as if he were going to confess to some crime that no one knew about.

“William. I know that measles is not like a cold or a sprained ankle. I have seen and heard that babies born after their mothers had the measles have a fifty-fifty percent chance of something wrong with them. The problem might be something that the child needs assistance up such as a heart condition to a very severe defect like mental incapacity or retardation.” he paused to let Mr. Miller consider that fact. “Frances does not need to have added stress. She needs love, rest and good food in that order.” he replied as he turned Mr. Miller around and walked him to the door. “I know that Mrs. Hunt is your neighbor. She might help or if you can find a maid to come in a few times of the week to help with the cleaning, cooking and general housework then that might unburden Frances from worrying about that large responsibility of this child.” Dr. Carson patted his friend on the shoulder and opened the door for Mr. Miller to exit.

“It looks like the Millers had an Easter that they will remember.” He shook Mr. Miller’s hand and then went back into his office. The nurse then accompanied Mr. Miller to the desk and began talking about the payment. Sometimes Mr. Miller paid Dr. Carson with something in trade such as a new suit or at other times, cash. The gentlemen worked it out ahead of time.

“Mr. Miller, I see that Dr. Carson said that he talked with you already for payment. You may leave now. I do hope that Mrs. Miller begins to feel better soon. Please let us know if there will be anything else.“

“No. We need to hurry home because it is getting late. “ He gave a small bow and then accompanied his two family members out to the car. They expected to view a beautiful sunny afternoon, but the sky was cloudy with several that had grey bottoms. A small breeze blew the women’s hair. Mr. Miller hurried to his wife’s side of the car to let Harriet in the back and Frances in the front. As Frances was fixing her dress, the first drop of rain fell on the windshield.

The Miller’s House
The boys were just completing their gardening job when they saw the grey clouds move in. Buddy ran to the tree near the fence and started barking. William pulled the last weed when he walked over to the tree and looked around. The old oak tree was very big now. He remembered the story about how his father and mother had planted it the day after they had settled into this house. Their mother’s father had supervised the work but did not participate because their father wanted it to be his and his wife’s first outside accomplishment. Mr. Young was proud of the nice husband that his daughter had married. He was very sure that Frances would live a comfortable life from start to finish.

Buddy seemed persistent in his barking at something that he wanted noticed. He even tried to dig a little at the fence. Timothy joined his brother and Buddy.

“Hey Buddy, calm down. I don’t see anything.” said Timothy as he checked up and down the fence line.

“Yes Buddy. You are doing a good job but the neighbors might not like a little noise.” William added as he looked through a hole that was in the board of the fence.

“You know, I think that there may be rabbits starting to run around out there.” said Timothy with a big smile. He was eager to add one more pet to the family’s collection.

“Maybe so. Or it could be that awful snake that bit Willie. If it is, we don’t want to mess with it.” said William with a shrug of his shoulders. “I think we need to tell father about this so he can check it out. I wouldn’t want Buddy to get bitten. “

Timothy picked up Buddy, “I agree. Buddy will just have to come inside with us and let father take care of it.”

As they walked to the door, Catherine opened it with a curious look on her face. “What was Buddy barking at? I think that I saw him in the same place barking earlier today.”

“We think that there is something on the other side of the fence. We are going to ask father to check it when he comes home.” replied William as he went into the kitchen to look for something to nibble on.

When the children got into the kitchen, they heard the front door open. Instead of their parents, Mrs. Hunt had returned. She had taken a little more than five minutes. Her eyes were a little puffy. She was wringing her hands and looking very pensive.

“Mrs. Hunt are you alright?” asked Catherine. “You don’t look well.”

“No my dear. I just got a little upset with some news in the letter I received. It is nothing for you to worry about.” she said as she pushed some stray black an grey hairs back put a clip on them from getting in her face another time. “Oh my goodness, I think it is beginning to rain. I do hope that your parents are coming back soon.”

They all looked out the window and saw a small shower begin. The boys were happy that rain had started so they would not have to water the plants. Their garden was hard work but they enjoyed the fruits of their labor. Catherine had not retrieved her wash before the rain had started. She was hoping that it would be a quick shower and that the sheets could dry over night.

Mr. Miller and the other members of the family arrived about twenty minutes later. He assisted his wife into the house and gave a brief summary of the doctor’s diagnosis about Harriet. He then asked Mrs. Hunt to accompany him into the family room as Mrs. Miller and Harriet went upstairs to change.

“Mrs. Hunt I hope that the children behaved for you this afternoon. I appreciate your watching them while we were gone.”

“Why they were no trouble at all. We were concerned about Mrs. Miller and Harriet, so I guess that it took their minds off mischief or silliness.”

“Quite true. But I must impose on you some more if you can help us a little extra.” he said as he gestured for her to sit down as he thought of his proposal for the aid Frances would need.

“Mr. Miller, is everything alright?”

“Yes for now. Harriet does have a hearing problem. But the doctor thinks that Frances should get additional rest. He says that she does have the measles herself and for the sake of her and the baby, she does not need to work too hard.” he stopped as he collected his breath for the next request.

“I was wondering if we could pay you to come help with some of the heavier duties for the next several weeks.”

“I would like to, but today I received a letter from my mother saying that she is ill. I might need to go help her.” she touched the small cross necklace that she was wearing.

“Of course. Family comes first. Well I would appreciate any lady you could recommend. We would like to interview her.”

“Yes. I’ll try to think of one tonight.” she replied as she walked to the door. “Oh Catherine and I changed the sheets on your bed for Mrs. Miller. I am afraid that she left them outside when it started raining and they will probably be too wet to bring in.” She left the house and went inside to her own house to reread the letter she received an hour ago.
© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1620096-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-nineteen