*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1620198-Lost-Medieval-TalesThe-Forgotten-Bridge
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1620198
Just wanting to be noticed, Hector the squire searches for the forgotten bridge.
An installment in my medieval-inspired children's book series. See also:
Alain, Knight Ex Libris  (E)
Alain takes on a dangerous quest, protecting the great library of the Knights Ex Libris.
#1622571 by Morgan Adam Internet Problems!


A long time ago, in the land of castles and dragons, people told tales of a mysterious bridge lost somewhere deep in the forest. Some said a magician had created it out of thin air. Others claimed it had sprung up out of the ground and that it had roots growing into the earth.

What everyone knew for sure was that, unlike other bridges, this one did not cross a stream or a valley – in fact, it didn’t seem to have any purpose at all. Yet, once anyone, knight or peasant, crossed over, he was never seen again! For this reason, it was called the Forgotten Bridge.

Hector was a squire in the king’s court. As the son of a poor lord, he had been overlooked many times, even though he should have been made a knight long ago. He wanted to be knighted more than anything, but he knew he would have to do something amazing to get the king’s attention.

One day, the other squires were telling stories about the Forgotten Bridge, how those who had gone searching for it never came back. Hector realized that this was his opportunity. He would find the bridge and earn his spurs.

That night, Hector readied his horse, donned the second-hand armor his father had given him, and packed another horse with supplies. Then he quietly rode off on the forest trail.

The next morning, Hector was on the road when he overtook an old lady. When he greeted her politely, she told him that she had been walking for two days.

Without hesitation, Hector unpacked his supplies.

“Here, my lady, take my horse,” he said humbly. “I don’t need it as much as you do.”

The lady was surprised and extremely grateful. “What is your name?” she asked.

“Hector.”

“And what do you seek?”

“The Forgotten Bridge.”

His companion smiled secretively. “You hope to solve the bridge’s mystery. Since you have been so kind, I will tell you how to find it. When you reach the oak in the middle of this road, turn off the path. You’ll soon find what you seek. But remember – do not cross the bridge without first asking its permission.” 

With Hector’s help, the lady mounted his horse, and, thanking him, she rode slowly away. Hector followed the path in the other direction. Soon, he found the oak the old woman had described, and he turned into the woods.

The squire rode for many hours. Just as he was beginning to think the lady had lied to him, Hector wandered into a dark clearing and was shocked when the bridge suddenly appeared before him. Marveling at its size and beauty, he dismounted.

Excited, Hector almost stepped on to its stones without remembering the lady’s advice, but, just in time, he stepped back.

“Greetings!” he called. “I beg your permission to cross.”

Suddenly, as if the trees moved, the sun broke through the thick covering of branches. The ground shifted, and a stream flowed from both sides of the bridge. Hector heard voices just before hundreds of knights and ladies walked out of the darkness.

One of the knights addressed Hector. “Thank you, young squire! An evil magician vowed that all who crossed this bridge would be prisoners until someone asked before daring to step on it. You have broken the spell!”

The captives of the Forgotten Bridge took Hector to the king, and, for his daring and generosity, he was knighted immediately.

At the feast celebrating his quest, Hector met a beautiful young lady. She seemed familiar, but he didn’t think he had seen her before.

She smiled and said, “Hector, you haven’t forgotten me so soon?  I still have the horse you gave me.” Hector was amazed!  It was the old lady from the forest.

“When I was a girl,” the lady explained, “I found the bridge one day when I got lost in the woods. Since I only crossed it halfway, I was turned into an old crone. I could only reveal the bridge’s secret to someone who treated me with kindness!”

Hector and the lady became friends, and they were married a year later. The king gave them the land surrounding the bridge, and they built a beautiful castle.

As for the bridge, now that the curse was gone, people came from miles around to see it. They renamed it Hector’s Bridge, so no one would ever again forget the knight who had broken its spell.
© Copyright 2009 Morgan Adam Internet Problems! (morganadam at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1620198-Lost-Medieval-TalesThe-Forgotten-Bridge