*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621999-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-twenty-six
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1621999
The Millers get a maid but tempers flare at the shop.
Heaven’s Gate Bridge twenty-six

Mr. Miller was happy that the ladies who Mrs. Hunt listed were nice and qualified to help for a short time. He thought that he remembered Mrs. Hunt had mentioned that Mrs. Noonan was very punctual. In any business that was a very outstanding quality. The first lady interviewed also seemed to not speak with clarity. He thought that her stuttering might hinder her ability to give directions to the children. She may be misunderstood when ever giving reports of the day. The third lady was not happy to work around animals. She explained that when she grew up she did not have any pets. Her resume did not show much employment.

However Mrs. Noonan was almost made for the job. She came into the shop and greeted Mr. Miller with a firm handshake and a smile. Her resume indicated that she had worked for two other families in this area before she had her last child. She also seemed to be able to anticipate how a housekeeper would do things as the Millers always did in their house. The only concern was that she had a nine month old baby and a young son. Mrs. Noonan had indicated that her husband could work the hours that she was away. His job as a salesman and sometimes barber allowed him more flexibility.

Mr. Miller thought that a one week trial of work at a specified wage was fair. He did not tell Mrs. Noonan that he told the first lady that if Mrs. Noonan did not work out, that she would be called back for another interview and a chance for a trial week. He was also hoping that he might meet Billy and see what kind of boy he was. He had heard from William that Billy was a bully in school, when he came to school.

“Mr. Miller, thank you for this opportunity. I have seen you several times in church and know that your family is a proper one for any lady to work for.” Mrs. Noonan responded as she shook his hand again and left the shop.

“We are hoping that the job will benefit both of us. If you do not have any plans for this afternoon, maybe you can go by the house and introduce yourself to Mrs. Miller. Harriet, my other daughter is there. She has been cleared to go to school tomorrow. Here is a note for you to show her that I have asked you to go to the house.”

Mrs. Noonan took the note and left the shop. She was so happy to be bringing in an income since her husband told her that he might not work two jobs any more. He had an argument with sales manager and was told that he would be laid off. He could not help the fact that the manager’s older son had lied about the merchandise that he claimed to have lost. It was strange that the son could lie and still not be caught.

Mr. Miller then began to look at the finished suit that Taylor had prepared for a customer. Taylor had changed from friendly and social to slightly disagreeable and furtive. Taylor came to work and went directly to his table to measure and cut material.

Along with the unusual character change, Mrs. Smith was also more gloomy. She had enjoyed the small conversations during the day. Now she sat at her area also and did her job. It seemed to Mr. Miller that he had two completely different employees in his shop. During the last hours of work, it seemed that there was enough tension that you could cut it with a knife. Mr. Miller was in favor of staying out of other person’s business, but he felt that an honest discussion could solve a problem if there was one that emanated from here. He considered compatibility a good quality to have in all employees.

“Mr. Munson and Mrs. Smith I see that we have ended the appointments of the day and can begin to put away our materials. But before either one of you leave I would like to have a word with you both together.” he said as he put a check in his desk and locked it up.

Mr. Munson seemed like he had tasted some bitter medicine and stood very erect. Mrs. Smith slowly put her materials in a basket and on the table for tomorrow morning. She looked like a cat ready to pounce.

“Mr. Miller I have no idea what you are referring to. I have been on time and completed each job that you have instructed me to.” responded Taylor as he moved a few steps closer to Mr. Miller.
“If you ask me, I think that Mrs. Smith has a problem that is making the shop here uncomfortable to work in. I find that so distracting.” he added in a softer voice meant for Mr. Miller to hear only.

“Mr. Munson, I consider it impolite to whisper when Mr. Miller asked us both to have this meeting.” she said as she also moved a few steps closer. She had picked up her purse and held it by the handle very firmly.

“I agree Mr. Munson. If anyone has anything to say, then everyone should be open and clear in their statements. I have only asked both of you to settle any problem. We have an excellent shop and I wish it to continue that way.” Mr. Miller looked at both people and gave them a moment’s silence for them to collect their thoughts.

“Mr. Miller, it grieves me so much to inform you but I suspect that because Mrs. Smith has debts that she is pilfering some of your smaller items and selling it to people to cover those debts.” Mr. Munson responded. “If you will check your stock of newly delivered men’s hose supporters and thread, you will see that some of them are missing.”

Mrs. Smith’s eyes open wide with surprise. Her face turned from the soft pink to crimson rage at the absurd accusation she had just heard.

“I have never, ever taken anything in my life. I have either paid for everything, worked in trade or done without. You sir are worse than a scoundrel.” she huffed as she almost shouted the last sentence.

“I have only to point out that some items are missing. You work in the back most of the time with complete access to the stock. And you have mentioned that you have bills to pay.” Mr. Munson countered.

Mr. Miller was at a loss to think that one of the employees was a liar and possibly a thief. His only option was to check the inventory. He wanted to do that immediately, but he felt that he needed to go home to check on his wife and the new maid. This is one time that being the head of a business was not the pleasure that he had dreamed of.

“I want both of you here one hour earlier in the morning so we can both go over the inventory.” Mr. Miller decided. “We will look at everything and then I will make a decision for our next step.”

“Very good sir,” replied Mr. Munson.

“As you wish sir.” said Mrs. Smith as she walked in front of the two men and out the door.

When both of the employees had left, Mr. Miller sat down for a few minutes and tried to make sense of the day’s events. He had one stop to make and then he would go home. He had hoped that his troubles would be over within the next twenty-four hours.
© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621999-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-twenty-six