*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1622716-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-twenty-eight
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1622716
The Reverend Trent is ill.
Heaven’s Gate Bridge twenty-eight

The Reverend Angus Trent sat in his office recalling the wonderful completion of another Easter season with beautiful services. He felt that the music was extraordinary. He made a note to confer with Mr. Dobbs about being careful with his duties while he was sick. Most ministers had made a special vow that nothing would deter them from guiding their flock through religious matters. If anything they sometimes considered it nothing compared to the suffering of other saints and Jesus himself.

However due to the fact that the Reverent Trent was in his mid seventies, he knew that it would be time to turn over his staff and let another shepherd lead this flock. Mr. Dobbs seemed very enthusiastic, but had at times difficulty making his sermons have the impact that they were instructed to in the good old days.

As the Revered was looking at verses in the Bible, he began to feel a little warm. He opened the office window a little more and looked out at the large field where children could play now. But in perhaps five years, and with a few more contributions, the parish could begin to get plans made for a new church. He remembered how every place in the pews were filled with lovely, happy families. With a larger church, more people could be seated and hear the sermons that would fill their hearts and enrich their lives. There could be more weddings and baptisms that would carry on the cycle of families that would stay in the church from beginning to the end.

Before the noon meal, the Reverend noticed a soreness in his throat. He also had a small cough that kept him from a peaceful meditation that he did after eating. Mrs. Johnson was in the secretary’s office. This was her day to make a list of supplies that needed to be purchased. She came into his office and stopped at the door.

“Good afternoon Mr. Trent. Are you alright? Arlene and I could hear you coughing all the way in her office. “

“Mrs. Johnson, I guess it is some allergies acting up. April does have it’s pollen in the air. I’m fine but if one of you could make some of that lemon tea that is so nice, I think I will be okay.” he said as he walked around to see if that would help.

“Of course I think that you told me that you want one spoonful of sugar. Would you like anything else?” she asked as she looked at him with great concern.

“I think that the tea will be a great start. Thank you.” he responded as he sat back down and tried to find a pen to begin writing some notes for a sermon.

About an hour later, the Reverend Trent decided that he would call in a favor from an old friend of his. The Reverend Albert Clark Hamilton senior, had asked him to come over in the next parish to help him when the Reverend Hamilton was ill. The Reverend Hamilton heard that all of his parishioners liked the Reverend Trent’s sermon and manner of conducting serviced. So the two men decided to reciprocate helping out whenever needed.

Mr. Trent decided that he could work at home and give the ladies a chance to clean his office. His wife was visiting their daughter as she was having her third baby. He thought that giving birth would always be the same each time, but his wife told him that after having four children herself that each baby’s birth was different. Their daughter Guinevere was their only child. She had married at twenty-two years of age and wanted a family immediately. After two lost babies, Guinevere was successful. She and her husband had two lovely, healthy girls. They were praying for a son this time. Stephen was a nice husband, but set on a boy to carry on the family name.

The walk home was not too far. Mr. Trent was beginning to feel a little achy in his stomach. He had hoped that the tea would settle his stomach as well as eliminate the cough. With the last few steps, Mr. Trent went into his rectory and to the couch. He dropped the newspaper on the table that he had picked up and took off his collar. He had a few minutes to gather his strength to go to the phone and call his friend Mr. Hamilton. At the end of the call, he went into his bedroom and laid down for what he thought was a few minutes but turned out to be a few hours.

It was past seven o’clock when Mr. Trent heard a knock on the door. He felt a little hotter than he was in the early afternoon. He automatically thought that it was because he pulled a blanket on himself. He walked to the door and looked at Dr. Carson. He was carrying his bag and came inside.

“Reverend Trent, you have many guardian angels watching over you. Someone called me and told me that they thought that you were going to be very sick. It seems that your cough and now what I see, symptoms of fever and weakness will be putting you in the hands of a good doctor and the Lord for a while.” he said as he guided Mr. Trent to a chair.

“Oh Dr. Carson, that is very nice of you but, “ and then he started a cough that no doctor liked to hear. Dr. Carson had the experience and did not want to alarm Reverend Trent so he tried to do immediate symptom control.

“Mr. Trent. I think you need to rest right now, but I want you in the office for an exam. Here is something for the cough. Take it tonight and get plenty of rest. You know that I have been treating your asthma for a long time but it can lead to other lung complications. I am thinking of emphysema. Those are some of the more manageable ones.“ he said using his most stern professional manner.

The Reverend Trent felt so tired that he agreed and went to the kitchen to take the powder that the doctor had given him. He never liked taking medicine, even as a boy. But this time he swallowed it quickly and returned for the final instructions. After this he let Dr. Carson out the door and went back to bed. If anything, the medicine seemed to be helping him. He had hoped that Mr. Dobbs was well enough to be handling the job during the week and that The Reverend Hamilton could do the officiating and communion on Sunday. He would only try to be sick one week. His first prayer this evening would be to thank God for his wonderful angels and good friend Dr. Carson.
© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1622716-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-twenty-eight