*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1625617-Nightmares
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1625617
Though it has the same name it has no relation to Cassie and Steven's story.
It was a quarter past 12, when I awoke to the sound of a thump, coming from my garage. I crawl out of bed and picked up my husbands old golf club, as I headed for the bedroom door. I moved down the hall past my daughters bedroom. As I headed down the steps I heard more noise, this time closer and louder than the last. As I reached the kitchen I raised the golf club higher in the air. I saw a shadow in the doorway, at the time I reached for the knob, the door swung open. A man with a knife was standing before me. I tried to call for help, but it was to late and my voice didn’t make a sound. As he raised his knife, my heart sank inside. Then….I awoke in a cold sweat.
I have often had this dream before, as I got older the more I had it, and the more it scared me. My husband on the other hand slept like a baby beside me, my nightmares never seem to bother his sleep at all. Sometimes I wish they would, so he could tell me everything was okay, and help me go back to sleep. Tonight I knew I wasn’t going to lay back down as if everything was fine. It was usually to difficult to do anyway. I figured I’d go down stairs and get a snack.

“Mom,” my daughters voice came from beside me, “is everything okay?”
“Yes dear” I said in reply, “why don’t you sit down hear beside me and grab a cookie.”
At first we say there in silence, I wanted badly to talk about my dream, but I didn’t want to frighten her. Me and my husband, George have both decided not to tell her about my constant nightmares. The last thing we need is a teenager walking around in fear that my nightmare will turn into a reality. She has so much fun, but the smallest thing will put her in fear. She just doesn’t know how to deal with pain or fear. She lets it take control of her life. Megan’s a sweet girl, sometimes a little to sweet. I often wonder what kind of man she will end up marrying.

“Mom, I was wondering if we could go shopping this weekend. I could use some new shirts and shoes, plus some purses to match.” Megan said, with a little hope in her voice.
She was always a spender, and had to have the latest name brands.
“Of course, honey. We’ll take care of it Friday after school, if you don’t have any plans with your friends.” I replied.
“Thanks Mom. Well I’m going back to bed, I got school tomorrow, you know, good night.” She let out a little giggle as she went up the steps.

And again I was alone. Which is how I like it. It gave my time to think.
© Copyright 2009 Jenni C (pandabear at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1625617-Nightmares