*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1626770-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-thirty-two
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1626770
A new couple is in town. Frances learns more about a friend.
Heaven’s Gate Bridge thirty-two

Frances slowly walked to the door. She thought that it was strange that Mrs. Noonan would be coming this early to the house. It would be a few hours before Mrs. Noonan would be here. In this neighborhood, people generally did not just walk up to any house and knock on the door. She thought that she heard a man and lady’s voice on the other side as she reached for the doorknob. She waited for a second and then decided to open the door.

On the other side was a nice looking couple who seemed to be a married couple. The lady was dressed in a lovely tan colored dress. She had beautiful blond hair that was fixed up and topped with a matching hat. She carried some papers in her gloved hands.

The gentleman was dressed in an exceptionally well done suit. He had a had and lovely polished walking stick. He had a well kept black goatee that seemed to accent his blue eyes. He was at least six inches taller than the lady he escorted.

“Good afternoon. May I help you?” asked Frances as she tried to stand straighter and show less of her condition.

“We are ever so sorry to intrude on your afternoon’s respite madam, but we are looking for a Mrs. Frances Miller. We have a note here from Mrs. Heather Brooks. She is the daughter of the late Mrs. Claire Stiller.” responded the gentleman with a courteous bow. He handed her a card that read “Mr. Hampton Burgoyne and Mrs. Lucille Burgoyne of New York., with the address Woodhaven Boulevard, New York,” along with a note.

“Yes and we were informed that since she had to go out of town for today, that we could pick up the key to the house of Mrs. Stiller to look at what is inside of it. I am Mr. and Mrs. Stiller’s niece from New York. We have a few pieces that were left to me and if my cousin Heather will permit, we want to live here for a while so my husband can do some studies for university. “

“Oh yes I think I can get it for you. Will you please come in?”

“Thank you.”

The gentleman held his hand out to let his wife proceed him into the house and into the living room. They both stood until Frances came in and motioned for them to sit down.

“May I get you something to drink? Some tea?”

“Oh no thank you very much. We do not want to be an imposition. “ responded the lady.

“Besides, Mrs. Miller, we are going to the university to meet with my colleague. I am going to direct the study of biological studies of the Chesapeake Bay starting in the fall.

“That sounds very interesting. I am sure that you will not only have a lot to study there but find that the bay is a beautiful place as well.”

“Quite so. Mr. Burgoyne has studied the Hudson Bay, Massachusetts Bay, and several others in the United States. He has been a true biologist for all of his life.” said Mrs. Burgoyne with pride.

“And my dear Lucille has the gift of music. She will be teaching singing after we decided where we want to settle. She has performed a few operas in different languages. She can sing arias that take a person’s breath away.” added Mr. Burgoyne as he glanced at his lovely wife.

“Oh so much talent indeed. I do not recall Mrs. Stiller ever mentioning this part of her family.” said Frances as she found the key in the drawer of her credenza and held it in her hand.

“I am sure that this letter of introduction can help you to understand. Mrs. Stiller and my mother Mrs. Diane Hartford were put in an orphanage. They were not adopted together and lost track of each other. Most places do not permit any viewing of private records, but a friend persuaded the secretary that it was very important and we were fortunate to get records that were helpful. My mother and Mrs. Stiller had met last year and decided to always keep in touch. “

Frances was touched by the story. It seemed to fit the story that Claire had mentioned. She was going to visit her newest family member but with the economy as it was, had to wait until she could afford it. Heather just mentioned that there might be a couple come by to pick up the key. She was hoping that the couple would come tomorrow and that she had more time to share the good news with Frances.

“If you wish, I can accompany you so you will not have to walk back here to return the key.”

“That is very kind of you but we see that you are in a condition that might require rest. We will come back and deliver it. We might stay an hour or more and do not wish to tire you.” said Mr. Burgoyne.

“Well thank you. I do have someone coming.” replied Frances.

The couple left and slowly walked down the street. They looked at the houses as they were evaluating the neighborhood and it’s residences. They stopped once or twice and the lady pointed at a few things and then moved on. The gentleman seemed to be extremely strong.

Frances knew that soon Mrs. Noonan would be arriving. She would have some extra wash for her to assist on. Added to the chores today was the cleaning of windows and mending of clothes. It seemed that the boys were tearing clothes faster than she could repair them. She was also sure that soon the boys would begin to grow again which meant that the old clothes would have to be donated to some family who needed them. At the church, the Reverend Trent was happy to find families who needed things as needed were found.

Buddy, who was asleep outside barked to be let in. He was growing fast also and eating more like a happy, mature dog. William and Timothy were sure that he could fetch a stick and sit on command. His sitting was limited to about ten seconds and then he would run and jump like any new dog. He also was being very happy to sit at the base of the tree and watch for any squirrel and cat that would dare to enter his yard. Buddy meant to see that his yard remained his only.
© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1626770-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-thirty-two