*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629012-A-Letter-To-My-Friend
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1629012
Words I have never shared with my friend

w/c 423

My Dear Friend.

We have been friends for more years than I like to count. Do you remember the first time we met? It was our first day at the Comprehensive and we stood in the crowd all waiting to be allocated a form and directed to the classroom. I’m so pleased we were put in the same form and as our surnames were alphabetically next to each other, were allocated seats together.

I was so nervous and felt totally out of my depth. Thankfully you were more confident and guided me through the maze of corridors, ensuring we got to classes on time.

For thirty-five years you have continued supporting me. You have helped me recover from many a teenage broken heart. You were my maid of honour when I married and are the Godmother to my first daughter.

Our lives have been a strange mirror of each other. We both married young, have four kids, the third of who has a life long illness. We lost our mothers within months of each other. We have both suffered mental ill health and both now have a physical disability. Each of us has had to deal with a teenager who experimented with drugs and who’s alcohol consumption was frightening!

Throughout it all, you have been my rock. You have provided both practical and moral support. Our husbands never complain about the time we spend on the phone and never question the size of the phone bill. I think they both knew when they married us that we were a team and accepted that we needed each other.

I can not imagine a world without you. I have never told you how much I treasure your friendship, how grateful I am that you sat next to me that day so many years ago. It was fate that brought us together that day, but it your never ending patience, care and support which keeps us together.

No one can foretell what the future holds, but I am confident that together we will be able to face whatever lies in store. I will hold you to your promise that you will not allow me to turn into my mother and I trust you implicitly to ensure I embarrass my kids at every opportunity!

Your sense of humour, love of life and sheer determination that we will beat the odds and conquer our disabilities keeps me going.

Thank you my friend for being you, and thank you for being my friend.

All my love always
Di


© Copyright 2009 Dianne J (diannej at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1629012-A-Letter-To-My-Friend